Newbie questions: Websphere Portal - Websphere

This is a discussion on Newbie questions: Websphere Portal - Websphere ; If I've downloaded Websphere Application Server, shouldn't I also have Websphere Portal Server? Also, what would be the url? Would it be http://localhost:10043/wps/portal? Thank you kindly....

  1. Newbie questions: Websphere Portal

    If I've downloaded Websphere Application Server, shouldn't I also have Websphere Portal Server?

    Also, what would be the url? Would it be http://localhost:10043/wps/portal?

    Thank you kindly.

  2. Re: Newbie questions: Websphere Portal

    > If I've downloaded Websphere Application Server,
    > shouldn't I also have Websphere Portal Server?

    Ofcourse!

    Actually WSPortal is DIFFERENT from WAS6/7. Your applications will now be running on WSPortal not on WAS 6/7. You will have a separate portal server icon in the server menu (if you are using IRAD). Maybe people should have some webpage where all this is clarified? A book would help, you know. Get programming portlets (any other suggestions?) it is the DEFINITIVE book! (I must have read nearly every portal book on the market, which is not many)

    And post questions like this if you cannot find the answers in the book. Why ? because I am ok with it but some people might get annoyed by it or may think that this is contributing to the noise.

    I am working on this all by myself and I am telling you it sucks when you don't have a collection of people or a team working on this. There is no exchange of knowledge or commiserating if things go wrong. THAT sucks.

    > Also, what would be the url? Would it be
    > http://localhost:10043/wps/portal?

    http://localhost:9081/wps/myportal/

    That is the url in my screen.

    > Thank you kindly.

  3. Re: Newbie questions: Websphere Portal

    stevenhuynguyen@gmail.com wrote:
    > If I've downloaded Websphere Application Server, shouldn't I also have Websphere Portal Server?

    No, they are two different products (though WPS includes WAS but not the
    other way round).

  4. Re: Newbie questions: Websphere Portal

    WPS comes with WAS. There is definitely a way to install WPS on existing
    WAS installation. I may not be able to help you there.

    Anyhow the Default URL is:

    http://localhost:9081/wps/portal

    stevenhuynguyen@gmail.com wrote:
    > If I've downloaded Websphere Application Server, shouldn't I also have Websphere Portal Server?
    >
    > Also, what would be the url? Would it be http://localhost:10043/wps/portal?
    >
    > Thank you kindly.

  5. Re: Newbie questions: Websphere Portal

    Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread