Tring to pass url request parameters to a portlet - Websphere

This is a discussion on Tring to pass url request parameters to a portlet - Websphere ; I am desperately trying to pass url originated parameters to a specific portlet on a specific page. I followed the article http://www-128.ibm.com/developerwork...508_scott.html but it does not work for me. When I use the URL, The correct page appears but no ...

  1. Tring to pass url request parameters to a portlet

    I am desperately trying to pass url originated parameters to a specific portlet on a specific page. I followed the article http://www-128.ibm.com/developerwork...508_scott.html but it does not work for me. When I use the URL, The correct page appears but no parameters are provided to the portlet.
    Please note that I am using portal 6.0.

    I have attached the JSP of my implementation.
    Anyone succeeded with that before?

    10x
    Michael

  2. Re: Tring to pass url request parameters to a portlet

    Most of those articles suck! just get the book programming portlets (best in my opinion) and they deal with this issue in the first chapter!

    I would write my own article to help you out I think.

    > I am desperately trying to pass url originated
    > parameters to a specific portlet on a specific page.
    > I followed the article
    > http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/websphere/librar
    > y/techarticles/0508_scott/0508_scott.html but it does
    > not work for me. When I use the URL, The correct page
    > appears but no parameters are provided to the
    > portlet.
    > Please note that I am using portal 6.0.
    >
    > I have attached the JSP of my implementation.
    > Anyone succeeded with that before?
    >
    > 10x
    > Michael

  3. Re: Tring to pass url request parameters to a portlet

    This seems like an old book, is it relevant for portal 6.0?
    Can you provide a short description of the solution for this problem?

    10x
    Michael

  4. Re: Tring to pass url request parameters to a portlet

    It sure is relevant.

    Let me put something up maybe on a google blog or something but you will find the book to be much more use than anything else out there (any one time article).

    > This seems like an old book, is it relevant for
    > portal 6.0?
    > Can you provide a short description of the solution
    > for this problem?
    >
    > 10x
    > Michael

  5. Re: Tring to pass url request parameters to a portlet

    This code works on Portal 5.1 and 6.0. Are you sure that you correctly created the reference to the portlet container, not the portlet? The first time I used this article, I missed this key paragraph:

    Although it is possible to define the unique name of a portal page in the WebSphere Portal administration console, you cannot define the unique name of a portlet window. You need to write an XML deployment file, and create these unique names using the xmlaccess utility.

    Brian

  6. Re: Tring to pass url request parameters to a portlet

    In portal 6.0 you have the option to define a unique name for a specific portlet instance and this is what I used. Is it not correct to use this ID? I will look into the xmlaccess script which I wanted to avoid.

    10x
    Michael

  7. Re: Tring to pass url request parameters to a portlet

    I've not seen anywhere in Portal v6 where you can specify a unique id for the portlet instance, just the portlet. Where is that option?

    Regardless, I have used the XMLAccess route with v5.1 and v6 so I know that will work. It takes just a minute to write and execute the script.

  8. Re: Tring to pass url request parameters to a portlet

    Under "Custom Unique Names" you can specify a unique name for a portlet instance but this does not apply to this case since you need a unique id of portlet instance container that you can only specify through XML access. This was my mistake.

    Finally I solved it in a slightly different way:
    1. Using the XML configuration I created a page and put a portlet in it and assigned a unique id to its container (as specified in the article)
    2. I mapped this page to a custom URL context (for convenience).
    3. I modified the theme Default.jsp to generate a URL to the portlet including any provided parameters using the tag giving the unique name of the page and portlet container window. This is done only if the URL contains a 'notif' parameter.

    Thank you all for your help

+ Reply to Thread