Purpose of starting server1 in Portal 6 - Websphere

This is a discussion on Purpose of starting server1 in Portal 6 - Websphere ; Could someone tell me why we would ever need to start server1 in Portal6. Both WebSphere_Portal and server1 use the /wp_profile I understand that the WAS install is under AppServer directory (and that WAS is a rather important component of ...

  1. Purpose of starting server1 in Portal 6

    Could someone tell me why we would ever need to start server1 in Portal6.
    Both WebSphere_Portal and server1 use the /wp_profile
    I understand that the WAS install is under AppServer directory (and that WAS
    is a rather important component of Portal), and that in this bin directory
    setupCmdLine.bat uses
    \WebSphere\AppServer\properties\fsdb\_was_profile_ default to link
    server1 to the wp_profile. In this profile serverindex.xml defines both
    server1 and WebSphere_Portal (so we can start server1 from the bin directory
    of the profile).

    In serverindex.xml it shows server1 as having DefaultApplication,
    ivtApp,query, EventServer and EventServerMdb deployed to it, all other apps
    (.ear such as wps.ear and portlets deployed to WebSphere_Portal) and hence
    starting server1 starts the app listed above, which are not needed for
    portal(?). (From server1 admin console the portal apps appear stopped and
    vice-versa from WebSphere_Portal)

    It seems "Resource environment providers" can be managed from either server
    admin console. The server.xml for WebSphere_Portal has a number of portal
    libraries defined as well as extra entries for the process definitions.

    Is server1 definition provided for deploying and running standard J2EE ear
    files? And hence should be ignored if you are just using portal apps? Is it
    that a portal license gives the right to use server1 for standard J2EE apps
    and WebSphere_Portal for portal apps (standard J2EE apps being discouraged
    on WebSphere_Portal).

    Any elucidation appreciated.

    Regards

    Mark

  2. Re: Purpose of starting server1 in Portal 6

    Mark Ziebell wrote:
    > Could someone tell me why we would ever need to start server1 in Portal6.

    I haven't found any need for it at all in v6. It's certainly not needed
    for Portal to operate correctly

  3. Re: Purpose of starting server1 in Portal 6

    Well, one thing is that you don't get a server administration console for PortalServer. The administration console for installing datasources, filters, listeners, j2ee applications, timers, workmanagers, security and so many other things is not supposed to run on PortalServer (even though I think that you can force it to install as an application on PortalServer). So, essentially, you need to start server1 for setup purposes.

    I cannot see why you wouldn't install j2ee applications on PortalServer. We do it quite happily. But we install/update them through server1's administration console.

    Checkout "Setting portal configuration properties" at http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce.../adsetcfg.html
    You'll see that you need to run the WebSphere's Administration Console.

  4. Re: Purpose of starting server1 in Portal 6

    dimitrisb@datablue.gr wrote:
    > Well, one thing is that you don't get a server administration console for PortalServer. The administration console for installing datasources, filters, listeners, j2ee applications, timers, workmanagers, security and so many other things is not supposed to run on PortalServer (even though I think that you can force it to install as an application on PortalServer). So, essentially, you need to start server1 for setup purposes.

    Is this stiff true in v6? I can administer my v6 Portal without ever
    starting server1

  5. Re: Purpose of starting server1 in Portal 6

    What do you mean by "administer"? Pages/portlets/web modules etc.?

  6. Re: Purpose of starting server1 in Portal 6

    Hence the point of my original post. WebSphere_Portal, not server1, has all the portlets. It is a configuration in the same profile as server1.

    So you can do everything by logging in to the console of WebSphere_Portal, or wsadmin connecting to WebSphere_Portal. The only thing you can't do is start and stop the apps on server1, but then why would you need to?

    So server1 seems to have no real use.

    Regards

    Mark

+ Reply to Thread