Importing static site into Portal - Websphere

This is a discussion on Importing static site into Portal - Websphere ; Hi, I have a big static site that consists of HTML pages, images, and Word documents only. The site has its own navigation and theme, and I need to place a link to this site within a protected area in ...

  1. Importing static site into Portal

    Hi,

    I have a big static site that consists of HTML pages, images, and Word documents only. The site has its own navigation and theme, and I need to place a link to this site within a protected area in our Portal v5.1 (fronted by an IBM HTTP server).

    Now the favorite solution to me is placing this site within the HTTP server, and in somehow protecting it under the Portal security so no one can access it unless authenticated by the Portal. If however the user is logged in to the Portal, the site should be served without asking for login again. SSO is already implemented in our Portal but I don't know how to incorporate the HTTP server into the SSO hood.

    The second alternative is to create a Portal application with no theme (to preserve the site's original theme). Then I want to create one Portlet inside that application and place the whole static site within that Portlet. But also this doesn't seem straightforward because the links to the images and other files in the main page for example are all corrupted, and I really couldn't let it see any of those resources no matter what I tried.

    Can anybody help me in any of the above suggestions? Are there any better ideas?

    Thank you,

    Yasser

  2. Re: Importing static site into Portal

    Have you seen the fileserver portlet?

    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...tmpl_file.html

    I don't want to sound cheeky, but why did you buy Portal if you only have a static site?

  3. Re: Importing static site into Portal

    There may be easier ways to do this but I believe this to be the most
    straightforward:

    1. Setup HTTP security to protect the html site (there is an Apache
    LDAP module for this). You'll want to use the same LDAP directory you
    use for Portal so the usernames are exactly the same.

    2. As you suggested, copy the html and other files into the HTTP file
    system.

    3. If the http and portal servers are in the same "realm" (url domain
    is the same), the browser will carry user authentication from one site
    to the other. So if they sign into Portal first, the browser will pass
    those credentials onto the HTTP server so the user won't have to log in
    again and vice versa.

    yaser_almasri@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a big static site that consists of HTML pages, images, and Word documents only. The site has its own navigation and theme, and I need to place a link to this site within a protected area in our Portal v5.1 (fronted by an IBM HTTP server).
    >
    > Now the favorite solution to me is placing this site within the HTTP server, and in somehow protecting it under the Portal security so no one can access it unless authenticated by the Portal. If however the user is logged in to the Portal, the site should be served without asking for login again. SSO is already implemented in our Portal but I don't know how to incorporate the HTTP server into the SSO hood.
    >
    > The second alternative is to create a Portal application with no theme (to preserve the site's original theme). Then I want to create one Portlet inside that application and place the whole static site within that Portlet. But also this doesn't seem straightforward because the links to the images and other files in the main page for example are all corrupted, and I really couldn't let it see any of those resources no matter what I tried.
    >
    > Can anybody help me in any of the above suggestions? Are there any better ideas?
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Yasser

  4. Re: Importing static site into Portal

    Thanks Jessica for the reply.

    > Have you seen the fileserver portlet?
    >
    > http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wpdoc/v510/in
    > dex.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.wp.zos.doc/wps/cnt_tmpl_file.ht
    > ml

    Well yea, I've seen it. But this is not practical for the purpose of importing an expensive site of HTML pages like the one we have, and I don't know how I'm going to preserve the relationships between the pages this way. My problem in the first place is how to make a static HTML page see resources (images, Word documents) under Portal including other HTML files, so how importing the HTML pages this way is going to solve this problem?

    Any ideas on running it under the HTTP server?

    > I don't want to sound cheeky, but why did you buy
    > Portal if you only have a static site?

    Not at all my friend. We actually have a full blown Portal developed for the government with hundreds of Portlets and tens of thousands of documents under WCM, and the static site is just a very tiny module that will be added to it

  5. Re: Importing static site into Portal

    Hi

    Another way of doing is, you can write a simple portlet that generates a IFrame tag in the view mode