We are developing a project where we use JSF , Hibernate and
However, when we create an empty JSF portlet project and add the
hibernate required jars, the portlet won't run, and no exceptions are
thrown in the log files -- only "application stopped".

After some trial and error, we discovered that after removing the
commons-logging.jar (which is required by hibernate), the application
*seems to* work fine. But we don't know what was the problem at the
first place.

My question is:
Does anybody know what is the problem and whether hibernate may
complain at some stage due to the missing jar?