We are developing a project where we use JSF , Hibernate and
Portal(JSR).
However, when we create an empty JSF portlet project and add the
hibernate required jars, the portlet won't run, and no exceptions are
thrown in the log files -- only "application stopped".

After some trial and error, we discovered that after removing the
commons-logging.jar (which is required by hibernate), the application
*seems to* work fine. But we don't know what was the problem at the
first place.

My question is:
Does anybody know what is the problem and whether hibernate may
complain at some stage due to the missing jar?

Thanks.