Rookie question regarding portlet set up - Websphere

This is a discussion on Rookie question regarding portlet set up - Websphere ; Hi! I'm somewhat a rookie on WPS and in the process of building a small portlet application. I'm wondering about the best approach to store info related to a user and usergroup in the portal. E.g. when I register a ...

  1. Rookie question regarding portlet set up

    Hi!

    I'm somewhat a rookie on WPS and in the process of building a small portlet application. I'm wondering about the best approach to store info related to a user and usergroup in the portal.

    E.g. when I register a new portal user, I do that through the default administrative portlet where I can setup different attributes for the user. I can also modify that portlet to include new attributes. Is this approach better than building a separate portlet and store user data in e.g. a separate database?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Rookie question regarding portlet set up

    Hello,

    The answer to your question depends on how much "extra" information that you think you need for your users. Also, you may have security and personal information defined in an LDAP for more flexibility. If the user attributes are basic (Strings, Dates) and few, you should be fine with the wps database. A good place to read up on information is in the InfoCentre:

    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce.../sec_ureg.html

  3. Re: Rookie question regarding portlet set up

    Thanks Jessica for your reply! I got some reading to do...

+ Reply to Thread