Creating themes.. - Websphere

This is a discussion on Creating themes.. - Websphere ; Hi, I'm new to theme developing for websphere. Have a few years web development experience and wonder if there are any spesific tools to use or best practices to follow when creating themes? I'm using rad7 and that has ok ...

  1. Creating themes..

    Hi,

    I'm new to theme developing for websphere. Have a few years web
    development experience and wonder if there are any spesific tools to
    use or best practices to follow when creating themes?
    I'm using rad7 and that has ok theme developer but it's not all that
    good.

    any hint, tips and best practices for a new theme developer?

    many thanks in advance
    regards
    Staale

  2. Re: Creating themes..

    We've recently launched a WPS 6 portal and done some changes to the
    default IBM theme.

    By definition Themes are used on a portal level whereas Skins are used
    by the portlets.

    As an interaction and graphic designer I've found ways to bend WPS to
    my will when it comes to text sizes, colors and portal behaviours but
    you need to be more specific in what you're trying to accomplish.

    First we made a copy of the IBM theme and renamed it to STRAND (our
    company name).

    NB! RAD7 (with support for WPS6) wasn't released when we did this so I
    used SCITE and wordpad for hacking.

    The theme CSS was found in the file
    \IBM\WS\prof\Strand\installedApps\C1\wps.ear\wps.w ar\themes\html\STRAND\styles_theme.jspf

    The file
    \IBM\WS\prof\Strand\installedApps\C1\wps.ear\wps.w ar\themes\html\STRAND\styles.jsp
    is generated by including .jspf-files so you have to "touch" it to view
    your changes.

    The colors are locaated in the file
    \IBM\WS\prof\Strand\installedApps\C1\wps.ear\wps.w ar\themes\html\STRAND\colors\default.properties

    Text sizes were found in the file
    \\waylon\e$\IBM\WS\prof\Strand\installedApps\C1\wp s.ear\wps.war\themes\html\STRAND\styles_rules.jspf
    (The default text sizes were too small for my liking as I wanted it to
    be 0.8125em or 13pt by default.) What I did was to replace all
    instances of x-small to small in the conversion table in this file.

    The company logo/branding is changed in the file
    \IBM\WS\prof\Strand\installedApps\C1\wps.ear\wps.w ar\themes\html\STRAND\banner.jspf

    That's how we did it.

    staaled@gmail.com skrev:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm new to theme developing for websphere. Have a few years web
    > development experience and wonder if there are any spesific tools to
    > use or best practices to follow when creating themes?
    > I'm using rad7 and that has ok theme developer but it's not all that
    > good.
    >
    > any hint, tips and best practices for a new theme developer?
    >
    > many thanks in advance
    > regards
    > Staale

+ Reply to Thread