Making Empty portlet as Invisible - Websphere

This is a discussion on Making Empty portlet as Invisible - Websphere ; hi, i am developing Websphere portlet 5.1 to develop Alphablox Appliaction with the help of RAD 6.0 Developed Portlet application using dynamic generation of Portlet content. so sometimes the content might be Empty. if it so how its possible to ...

  1. Making Empty portlet as Invisible

    hi,

    i am developing Websphere portlet 5.1 to develop Alphablox Appliaction with the help of RAD 6.0

    Developed Portlet application using dynamic generation of Portlet content.
    so sometimes the content might be Empty.

    if it so how its possible to make portlet is invisible if the content is Empty?

    Note:
    Developing portlet application using 5.1 with RAD 6.0 then later its migrated into Websphere Portlet server 6.0

    Regards
    Vasudevan K

  2. Re: Making Empty portlet as Invisible

    Hi,

    Hiding a whole portlet is only subject to security reasons, e.g. the user doesn't have access to this portlet. I think it is a bad design to hide the portlet if the content is null, this will be confusing from maintenance point of view.

    Otherwise you may provide default content.

    On the other hand, if you gave the portlet noskin and the content was empty then nothing will be displayed and u won't feel that there is a portlet here.

    If you want to know how to hide or show the portlet, then you may need to decompile some portal code to find out how it is berformend, I don't think there is a public API for doing so. however, using undocumented portal APIs will make your project tied to 5.1 version and migration to version 6.0 might not be smooth.

    Sorry, I hope I could be of a better help.

  3. Re: Making Empty portlet as Invisible

    How about minimizing the window if it is empty?

    javax.portlet.ActionResponse.setWindowState(Window State.MINIMIZED)

+ Reply to Thread