Portal V6 Navigation without "Breadcrumbs" - Websphere

This is a discussion on Portal V6 Navigation without "Breadcrumbs" - Websphere ; We are having an issue with Portal V6 and navigation. When you click on a navigation link on the left, you get a page in the lower right frame. If you click on a link on that page to view ...

  1. Portal V6 Navigation without "Breadcrumbs"

    We are having an issue with Portal V6 and navigation. When you click on a navigation link on the left, you get a page in the lower right frame. If you click on a link on that page to view a sub page, IBM is saying the only way to get back to that original page is with the use of "breadcrumbs". If you click on the main navigation link on the left nav that you originally clicked, you will always get the secondary page. We do not like this behavior and would like for the left nav to always take you to the main page for that navigation link. Does anyone know how to get around the "breadcrumb" requirement>

  2. Re: Portal V6 Navigation without "Breadcrumbs"

    A few things you can try (these apply to V5x but should also work in
    V6) from easiest to most difficult:

    1. Check out different themes. You may find one that has navigation
    you like.

    2. Hard code your navigation bar using url mappings.

    3. Copy the default.jsp (and possibly included jsp files) and
    substitute your own html around the existing jsp tags.

    4. Learn the portal api/jsp tag library and rewrite the default.jsp to
    make it do exactly what you want.

    Brandon Harroff wrote:
    > We are having an issue with Portal V6 and navigation. When you click on a navigation link on the left, you get a page in the lower right frame. If you click on a link on that page to view a sub page, IBM is saying the only way to get back to that original page is with the use of "breadcrumbs". If you click on the main navigation link on the left nav that you originally clicked, you will always get the secondary page. We do not like this behavior and would like for the left nav to always take you to the main page for that navigation link. Does anyone know how to get around the "breadcrumb" requirement>

+ Reply to Thread