UTF-8 Enconding in Portlets - Websphere

This is a discussion on UTF-8 Enconding in Portlets - Websphere ; Hi All, I am trying to capture text from a html form input field. User can enter this in their native language (Chinese, Japanese, Hindi etc.) I want to store and retreive the same from the database (Oracle9i). The same ...

  1. UTF-8 Enconding in Portlets

    Hi All,

    I am trying to capture text from a html form input field. User can enter this in their native language (Chinese, Japanese, Hindi etc.) I want to store and retreive the same from the database (Oracle9i). The same works fine when using a servlet. When I try to simulate the scenario with webphere portlet then entered characters are stored as question marks. Any body faced similar issue? What is the work around? Thanks in advance.

    I have tried adding the below code to my jsp/html. This works only for a j2ee appliation (servlet)

    <%@page pageEncoding="UTF-8" contentType="text/html; charset=UTF-8"%>

    New Document

    Regards,
    BBk

  2. Re: UTF-8 Enconding in Portlets

    We have the same problem with PDM portlet from Portal 5.0
    This is JavaScript 1.3 limitation all strings are converted into
    ASCII-String so if you want to pass parameters you should encode them.

    wrote in message
    news:570460905.1164939367986.JavaMail.wassrvr@ltsg was010.sby.ibm.com...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I am trying to capture text from a html form input field. User can enter
    > this in their native language (Chinese, Japanese, Hindi etc.) I want to
    > store and retreive the same from the database (Oracle9i). The same works
    > fine when using a servlet. When I try to simulate the scenario with
    > webphere portlet then entered characters are stored as question marks. Any
    > body faced similar issue? What is the work around? Thanks in advance.
    >
    > I have tried adding the below code to my jsp/html. This works only for a
    > j2ee appliation (servlet)
    >
    > <%@page pageEncoding="UTF-8" contentType="text/html; charset=UTF-8"%>
    >

    > New Document
    >

    > Regards,