fmcxspea - Websphere

This is a discussion on fmcxspea - Websphere ; Hello There: I am a novice about MQ WF but am at a customer where there seems to be an issue with MQ, in particular PEA. This is MQ running on AIX, the issue is something like this. When PEA ...

  1. fmcxspea

    Hello There:

    I am a novice about MQ WF but am at a customer where there seems to be an issue with MQ, in particular PEA. This is MQ running on AIX, the issue is something like this. When PEA runs, each client is spwanned as a new process instead of a thread, hence consuming all of CPU power bringing the machine to a almost "hang" state. Is there anyway to configure and/or tune it such that it will spawn each new client as a thread in the same JVM rather than spawning it as a new JVM.

    Also, any other tuning tips will be REALLY appreciated.

    Best Regards...
    - Atul

  2. Re: fmcxspea

    Atul,

    PEA as a program execution server is discouraged for several years now.
    See SupportPac WA0B: Best Practices Guide for MQWF.
    http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview...=utf-8&lang=en

    Your customer should write a UserDefined Program Execution Server (UPES)
    for program invocation.
    Most of our customers have already performed this step successfully. With
    MQWF 3.6 there comes an
    UPES framework with the product. See the Programming Guide for details
    about UPES.

    We used to have the so-called Java High Performance Bridge that solved the
    JVM problem within
    a PEA. But it turned out that the PEA approach is not reliable enough in
    high load environments.

    Volker Hoss
    IBM WebSphere MQ Workflow Development

  3. Re: fmcxspea

    Volker:

    Thanks very much for taking time and your reply.

    I have already recommended moving to UPES, but couple of things till we get there :
    1. It is going take about 3 weeks of effort to get to UPES, so meanwhile, is there anything that can be done to use the shared object on AIX (the way it behaves on Windows).

    2. I saw you mentioned ver 3.6 of MQ, whereas the current version that is run here is MQ 3.4. So, what would be the procedure to upgrade to 3.6 from 3.4. If you can point me to any reference document or URL that would be really helpful.

    3. Are there any other tuning guidelines for MQ.

    Again, thanks very much for your help!

    - Atul

  4. Re: fmcxspea

    atulgore@us.ibm.com wrote:
    > Volker:
    >
    > Thanks very much for taking time and your reply.
    >
    > I have already recommended moving to UPES, but couple of things till we get there :
    > 1. It is going take about 3 weeks of effort to get to UPES, so meanwhile, is there anything that can be done to use the shared object on AIX (the way it behaves on Windows).
    >
    > 2. I saw you mentioned ver 3.6 of MQ, whereas the current version that is run here is MQ 3.4. So, what would be the procedure to upgrade to 3.6 from 3.4. If you can point me to any reference document or URL that would be really helpful.
    >
    > 3. Are there any other tuning guidelines for MQ.
    >
    > Again, thanks very much for your help!

    UPES also work with MQWF 3.4 ;-) and is really a
    good idea to use. Maybe customer can still wait
    this few weeks ītill switch to UPES? Donīt think
    that customer is in a crit-sit yust now and canīt
    wait any longer if he is using V3.4.

    Hos only said, that with V3.6 there is a Framework, so
    you have something to start with.

    HTH & SCNR

    Frank

  5. Re: fmcxspea

    Hi,

    with respect to migration:

    1. MQWF 3.4 is out of support already. You need to migrate in order to be
    in a supported environment!
    2. Have a look into the Installation Guide. There are detailed chapters
    describing migration. Make sure that
    you always have a backup of your database!

    With respect of tuning:
    Beside the tuning guides for MQ and DB2 there are also recommendations for
    MQWF client development.
    Check out our SupportPacks.

    Happy Easter

    Volker Hoss