Changing data container in a running environment possible? - Websphere

This is a discussion on Changing data container in a running environment possible? - Websphere ; Hi! Customer needs to add a field in a data container. As I know, change of processes in running environment is possible. Old processes still runs with old template. New processes run with new template (same name?!). But what about ...

  1. Changing data container in a running environment possible?

    Hi!

    Customer needs to add a field in a data container.
    As I know, change of processes in running environment
    is possible. Old processes still runs with old template.
    New processes run with new template (same name?!).
    But what about changing a data container used by
    many processes? Is this posible?

    Regards

    Frank Schletz

    PS: Version 3.4

  2. Re: Changing data container in a running environment possible?

    Frank Schletz wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    > Customer needs to add a field in a data container.
    > As I know, change of processes in running environment
    > is possible. Old processes still runs with old template.
    > New processes run with new template (same name?!).
    > But what about changing a data container used by
    > many processes? Is this posible?

    For better understanding (as I be misunderstud in another forum):

    I donīt want to change data containers of running processes.
    I yust want to establish a new field in data container, used
    by some process-templates.
    And I want to know, what happends with the system.
    Can I do so? Will only new processes see this added field
    in the data container (as expected)?
    Or is it impossible to add a field to a data container which
    is used by processes and if this is wanted, someone must:

    1) create a new data container with different name
    2) change process-template, which should use this new data
    3) export this new templates and data container from buildtime
    4) Import new data container and new template into runtime

  3. Re: Changing data container in a running environment possible?

    When you change the container, the existing instances will not change... they will have the "original" container that existed when they were instantiated.

    The issue you MIGHT face, is that programs that access the container MIGHT be looking for the new member and it would not exist. You can easily program around this.

    Bottom line: Assuming I understand you correctly, you can certainly do what you suggest.

  4. Re: Changing data container in a running environment possible?

    John.McDonald@EmeriCon.com wrote:
    > When you change the container, the existing instances will not change... they will have the "original" container that existed when they were instantiated.
    >
    > The issue you MIGHT face, is that programs that access the container MIGHT be looking for the new member and it would not exist. You can easily program around this.
    >
    > Bottom line: Assuming I understand you correctly, you can certainly do what you suggest.

    Thank a lot! So I will try this.

    Because I didn't see any hints in documentation (neither
    for process change, nor for data container change)
    and I can't find any documentation about this
    behavior of MQS Workflow, I ask here.

+ Reply to Thread