Best Practices - Large messages - Websphere

This is a discussion on Best Practices - Large messages - Websphere ; Hi, According to your best practices and experience, how large messages is "allowed" to be sent through WMQ 6 and WMB 6?? -- // 4 Integration...

  1. Best Practices - Large messages

    --
    // 4 Integration

  2. Re: Best Practices - Large messages

    There is not a single answer to this question. It is very much an "it
    depends" question.

    The maximum message size for MQ is 100 meg. Message Broker does not
    place any further limits on this for the MQ transport.

    Now 100 meg is a very, very large message. For MQ and Message Broker
    messages of this size can not be processed at the rate as more avergae
    size messages. They can be handled but should be more the exception
    than the rule. Adding persistence to messages of this size also has an
    impact as they must be logged. For Message Broker a key factor in
    throughput is also how much parsing and manipulation of the message is
    being done. If you take a very large message into Message Broker but
    only touch a small percentage of the fields then this will will require
    less resources than if you parsed and manipulated every field in the
    message.

    A good reference point on Message Broker performance and throughput are
    the Performance & Tuning Support Pacs which can be accessed at the
    following url - look for the ones that begin with IP (i.e. IPnn, I for
    Integrator, P for performance, nn is the number of that particular
    Support Pac). Make sure you are looking at the Support Pacs appropriate
    for you version of Message Broker - there are V2.1, V5 and V6 ones out
    there: http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview...=swg27007197#5

    4 Integration wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > According to your best practices and experience, how large messages is
    > "allowed" to be sent through WMQ 6 and WMB 6??

  3. Re: Best Practices - Large messages

    Bob Herbison wrote:
    > There is not a single answer to this question. It is very much an "it
    > depends" question.
    >
    > The maximum message size for MQ is 100 meg. Message Broker does not
    > place any further limits on this for the MQ transport.
    >
    > Now 100 meg is a very, very large message. For MQ and Message Broker
    > messages of this size can not be processed at the rate as more avergae
    > size messages. They can be handled but should be more the exception
    > than the rule. Adding persistence to messages of this size also has an
    > impact as they must be logged. For Message Broker a key factor in
    > throughput is also how much parsing and manipulation of the message is
    > being done. If you take a very large message into Message Broker but
    > only touch a small percentage of the fields then this will will require
    > less resources than if you parsed and manipulated every field in the
    > message.
    >
    > A good reference point on Message Broker performance and throughput are
    > the Performance & Tuning Support Pacs which can be accessed at the
    > following url - look for the ones that begin with IP (i.e. IPnn, I for
    > Integrator, P for performance, nn is the number of that particular
    > Support Pac). Make sure you are looking at the Support Pacs appropriate
    > for you version of Message Broker - there are V2.1, V5 and V6 ones out
    > there: http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview...=swg27007197#5
    >
    > 4 Integration wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> According to your best practices and experience, how large messages is
    >> "allowed" to be sent through WMQ 6 and WMB 6??

    Thanks for the information.
    Yes, I know that 100 megs is quite large but we have cases where old
    legacy applications (batch-oriented) are sending huge chunks of data.

    If we find cases where the legacy apps can not be modified to split the
    the large message into several smaller ones, what can be a solution?

    Can MQ split the messages and reassembly them again?

    --
    // 4 Integration

  4. Re: Best Practices - Large messages

    4 Integration wrote:
    > Bob Herbison wrote:
    >> There is not a single answer to this question. It is very much an "it
    >> depends" question.
    >>
    >> The maximum message size for MQ is 100 meg. Message Broker does not
    >> place any further limits on this for the MQ transport.
    >>
    >> Now 100 meg is a very, very large message. For MQ and Message Broker
    >> messages of this size can not be processed at the rate as more avergae
    >> size messages. They can be handled but should be more the exception
    >> than the rule. Adding persistence to messages of this size also has
    >> an impact as they must be logged. For Message Broker a key factor in
    >> throughput is also how much parsing and manipulation of the message is
    >> being done. If you take a very large message into Message Broker but
    >> only touch a small percentage of the fields then this will will
    >> require less resources than if you parsed and manipulated every field
    >> in the message.
    >>
    >> A good reference point on Message Broker performance and throughput
    >> are the Performance & Tuning Support Pacs which can be accessed at the
    >> following url - look for the ones that begin with IP (i.e. IPnn, I for
    >> Integrator, P for performance, nn is the number of that particular
    >> Support Pac). Make sure you are looking at the Support Pacs
    >> appropriate for you version of Message Broker - there are V2.1, V5 and
    >> V6 ones out there:
    >> http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview...=swg27007197#5
    >>
    >> 4 Integration wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> According to your best practices and experience, how large messages
    >>> is "allowed" to be sent through WMQ 6 and WMB 6??
    >>>

    > Thanks for the information.
    > Yes, I know that 100 megs is quite large but we have cases where old
    > legacy applications (batch-oriented) are sending huge chunks of data.
    >
    > If we find cases where the legacy apps can not be modified to split the
    > the large message into several smaller ones, what can be a solution?
    >
    > Can MQ split the messages and reassembly them again?

    So I answer my question myself :-)

    A solution is message segmentation
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce....doc/handl.htm

    Will be tested soon.