Problems with Classpath in WBIMB 5.0.5 - Websphere

This is a discussion on Problems with Classpath in WBIMB 5.0.5 - Websphere ; Hi all, I have a problem regarding the classpath in a WBIMB 5.0.5 broker runtime. I have a Java Node in jar file nodeimpl.jar. This nodeimpl.jar is located in the jplugin directory. This Java Node uses a Java Class Helper ...

  1. Problems with Classpath in WBIMB 5.0.5

    Hi all,

    I have a problem regarding the classpath in a WBIMB 5.0.5 broker
    runtime. I have a Java Node in jar file nodeimpl.jar. This nodeimpl.jar
    is located in the jplugin directory. This Java Node uses a Java Class
    Helper that for example is located in jar file commonhelpers.jar. That
    jar file is located in the classes directory. The Helper Class needs
    xalan and xerces classes to work. xalan.jar and xerces.jar can be found
    in the classes directory, but they are not in the JVM classpath, so I
    get a NoClassDefFoundError at Runtime.
    What can I do? Is it possible to set the broker's JVM classpath. Do I
    have to put xalan.jar and xerces.jar into the manifest of commonhelpers.jar?

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,

    Oli

  2. Re: Problems with Classpath in WBIMB 5.0.5

    Oli G. wrote:
    > I have a problem regarding the classpath in a WBIMB 5.0.5 broker
    > runtime. I have a Java Node in jar file nodeimpl.jar. This nodeimpl.jar
    > is located in the jplugin directory. This Java Node uses a Java Class
    > Helper that for example is located in jar file commonhelpers.jar. That
    > jar file is located in the classes directory. The Helper Class needs
    > xalan and xerces classes to work. xalan.jar and xerces.jar can be found
    > in the classes directory, but they are not in the JVM classpath, so I
    > get a NoClassDefFoundError at Runtime.
    > What can I do? Is it possible to set the broker's JVM classpath. Do I
    > have to put xalan.jar and xerces.jar into the manifest of
    > commonhelpers.jar?

    Puzzling.

    It is not possible to set the broker's JVM classpath (to my
    knowledge). If you are on Windows you can put stuff on the system
    CLASSPATH.

    The broker will treat everything in /classes as on
    the classpath. Classes implementing the node interface should be
    in /jplugin. So in your case I would expect nodeimpl
    to be in jplugin, and xerces, xalan and commonhelpers to be in
    classes (which I think is exactly what you are describing).

    The only bit I don't get from your message is where you say that
    xalan and xerces "are not in the JVM classpath". They should be,
    if they are in the classes directory. You do need to restart the
    broker after installing a new node and new JAR files.

    Andy

  3. Re: Problems with Classpath in WBIMB 5.0.5

    Andy Piper wrote:
    > Oli G. wrote:
    >
    >> I have a problem regarding the classpath in a WBIMB 5.0.5 broker
    >> runtime. I have a Java Node in jar file nodeimpl.jar. This
    >> nodeimpl.jar is located in the jplugin directory. This Java Node uses
    >> a Java Class Helper that for example is located in jar file
    >> commonhelpers.jar. That jar file is located in the classes directory.
    >> The Helper Class needs xalan and xerces classes to work. xalan.jar and
    >> xerces.jar can be found in the classes directory, but they are not in
    >> the JVM classpath, so I get a NoClassDefFoundError at Runtime.
    >> What can I do? Is it possible to set the broker's JVM classpath. Do I
    >> have to put xalan.jar and xerces.jar into the manifest of
    >> commonhelpers.jar?

    > Puzzling.
    >
    > It is not possible to set the broker's JVM classpath (to my knowledge).
    > If you are on Windows you can put stuff on the system CLASSPATH.
    >
    > The broker will treat everything in /classes as on the
    > classpath. Classes implementing the node interface should be in
    > /jplugin. So in your case I would expect nodeimpl to be in
    > jplugin, and xerces, xalan and commonhelpers to be in classes (which I
    > think is exactly what you are describing).
    >
    > The only bit I don't get from your message is where you say that xalan
    > and xerces "are not in the JVM classpath". They should be, if they are
    > in the classes directory. You do need to restart the broker after
    > installing a new node and new JAR files.
    >
    > Andy

    Hi Andy,

    the xalan.jar and xerces.jar are definitely in the classes directory,
    but they are not in the classpath. When debugging the Java code (e.g.
    remotely) and inspecting System.getProperty("java.class.path") I can
    see, that not all of the jars in the classes directory are in the
    classpath.
    When I copy the xalan.jar and give it the name myxalan.jar, then it is
    in the JVM classpath. For me it seems that there's something like an
    exclusion list, which jars not to include in the JVM classpath ...

    It also works if I put xerces.jar and xalan.jar in the classpath of the
    commonhelpers.jar's Manifest.

    Thanks,

    Oli

  4. Re: Problems with Classpath in WBIMB 5.0.5

    Hi Oliver,

    I agree with you, this problem is more worse when customer develops his
    plugin earlier to FP5. When FP5 is installed the exisiting plugins fail
    if they use the xalan,xerces,xml-apis jars shipped with the product as
    they are excluded from the JVM classpath. I could recreate this. The fix
    is now available under prb #2578 , which can be availed from IBM support.

    Thanks,
    Shra
    Oli G. wrote:
    > Andy Piper wrote:
    >
    >> Oli G. wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a problem regarding the classpath in a WBIMB 5.0.5 broker
    >>> runtime. I have a Java Node in jar file nodeimpl.jar. This
    >>> nodeimpl.jar is located in the jplugin directory. This Java Node uses
    >>> a Java Class Helper that for example is located in jar file
    >>> commonhelpers.jar. That jar file is located in the classes directory.
    >>> The Helper Class needs xalan and xerces classes to work. xalan.jar
    >>> and xerces.jar can be found in the classes directory, but they are
    >>> not in the JVM classpath, so I get a NoClassDefFoundError at Runtime.
    >>> What can I do? Is it possible to set the broker's JVM classpath. Do I
    >>> have to put xalan.jar and xerces.jar into the manifest of
    >>> commonhelpers.jar?

    >> Puzzling.
    >>
    >> It is not possible to set the broker's JVM classpath (to my
    >> knowledge). If you are on Windows you can put stuff on the system
    >> CLASSPATH.
    >>
    >> The broker will treat everything in /classes as on the
    >> classpath. Classes implementing the node interface should be in
    >> /jplugin. So in your case I would expect nodeimpl to be in
    >> jplugin, and xerces, xalan and commonhelpers to be in classes (which I
    >> think is exactly what you are describing).
    >>
    >> The only bit I don't get from your message is where you say that xalan
    >> and xerces "are not in the JVM classpath". They should be, if they are
    >> in the classes directory. You do need to restart the broker after
    >> installing a new node and new JAR files.
    >>
    >> Andy

    > Hi Andy,
    >
    > the xalan.jar and xerces.jar are definitely in the classes directory,
    > but they are not in the classpath. When debugging the Java code (e.g.
    > remotely) and inspecting System.getProperty("java.class.path") I can
    > see, that not all of the jars in the classes directory are in the
    > classpath.
    > When I copy the xalan.jar and give it the name myxalan.jar, then it is
    > in the JVM classpath. For me it seems that there's something like an
    > exclusion list, which jars not to include in the JVM classpath ...
    >
    > It also works if I put xerces.jar and xalan.jar in the classpath of the
    > commonhelpers.jar's Manifest.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Oli

  5. Re: Problems with Classpath in WBIMB 5.0.5

    Hi Shra,

    thanks for that information. Do you know if this fix is included in FP6?

    Oli

    Shravan wrote:
    > Hi Oliver,
    >
    > I agree with you, this problem is more worse when customer develops his
    > plugin earlier to FP5. When FP5 is installed the exisiting plugins fail
    > if they use the xalan,xerces,xml-apis jars shipped with the product as
    > they are excluded from the JVM classpath. I could recreate this. The fix
    > is now available under prb #2578 , which can be availed from IBM support.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Shra
    > Oli G. wrote:
    >
    >> Andy Piper wrote:

    >>> Puzzling.
    >>>
    >>> It is not possible to set the broker's JVM classpath (to my
    >>> knowledge). If you are on Windows you can put stuff on the system
    >>> CLASSPATH.
    >>>
    >>> The broker will treat everything in /classes as on the
    >>> classpath. Classes implementing the node interface should be in
    >>> /jplugin. So in your case I would expect nodeimpl to be
    >>> in jplugin, and xerces, xalan and commonhelpers to be in classes
    >>> (which I think is exactly what you are describing).
    >>>
    >>> The only bit I don't get from your message is where you say that
    >>> xalan and xerces "are not in the JVM classpath". They should be, if
    >>> they are in the classes directory. You do need to restart the broker
    >>> after installing a new node and new JAR files.
    >>>
    >>> Andy

    >> Hi Andy,
    >>
    >> the xalan.jar and xerces.jar are definitely in the classes directory,
    >> but they are not in the classpath. When debugging the Java code (e.g.
    >> remotely) and inspecting System.getProperty("java.class.path") I can
    >> see, that not all of the jars in the classes directory are in the
    >> classpath.
    >> When I copy the xalan.jar and give it the name myxalan.jar, then it is
    >> in the JVM classpath. For me it seems that there's something like an
    >> exclusion list, which jars not to include in the JVM classpath ...
    >>
    >> It also works if I put xerces.jar and xalan.jar in the classpath of
    >> the commonhelpers.jar's Manifest.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Oli

  6. Re: Problems with Classpath in WBIMB 5.0.5

    Hi Shra,

    we tried to get the Fix, but this Fix seems only to be available for
    AIX, but the problem also exists on Windows Platforms. Do you know if
    this Fix ist available for Windows, too?

    Thanks for your help,

    Oli

+ Reply to Thread