SQL Server string data, right truncation error - Websphere

This is a discussion on SQL Server string data, right truncation error - Websphere ; My message flow is failing at RANDOM times when inserting information into a SQLServer 2000 table with the "string data, right truncation" error. It is as though a buffer is defined somewhere for a message and then fails to be ...

  1. SQL Server string data, right truncation error

    My message flow is failing at RANDOM times when inserting information into a SQLServer 2000 table with the "string data, right truncation" error.
    It is as though a buffer is defined somewhere for a message and then fails to be resized for subsequent messages, however I cannot trace the problem.

    The message flow may run for a while and process several messages, then generates this error. If I then switch to flow debug mode, and run the same massage through which failed, it passes and inserts OK. It seems to me to be much more to do with a connection buffer than any data in my application.

    Sometimes the flow process 1 or 2 messages and fails, other times it is 10 - 20.

    A restart of the broker always corrects the problem but only for a few minutes / messages.

    Messages which perviously were sucessfully processed can still cause the error if I run them through the flow again once the error is generated once.

    Can anyone help ? Are there any special settings in ODBC or elsewhere that can be used to define buffers ?

    This is really driving me mad!

  2. Re: SQL Server string data, right truncation error

    I don't recognise these exact symptoms. I recommend you raise a PMR with IBM
    support so the problem can be properly investigated and resolved. The
    service team will need details of your message flow and the ESQL statements,
    database table definitions and ODBC and broker traces.

    Regards,
    John Overstall
    IBM Websphere MQ Development

+ Reply to Thread