We're currently looking into WBI for a message servicing solution and have
come across a few issues. If you could please comment on them I'd appreciate
any feedback. (all question relate to the express edition v 4.3.1 with fix
pack 6 on a windows 2000 server machine)

1. When restarting the ICS Server, it seems that the adapters I start will
not subscribe to the collaboration that has been created unless I recompile
and redeploy all the mappings, then restart the adapters. Is this correct? I
had an IBM guy working with us over the past few weeks and said this
definately wasn't the case with the non-express version. Is it a 2000 issue,
or a Express "feature".

2. We'd typically want to run the solution with an autostart feature typical
with windows services, is this not recommended with ICS? Further to this,
once the server starts, I'd imagine we'd currently need to reploy the maps
mentioned in (1)

3. Currently we have 8 adapters monitoring queues, files and databases. Each
one of these reserves 256MB of RAM, which seems ridiculous for a component
that monitors interfaces, and maps messages into ASBO's. Is there any way of
shrinking the amount of memory they use to a bare minimum? What affects does
this have?

4. Further to adapters, we're looking at the JDBC adapter, and were told
that we need a seperate adapter running for each new database we're looking
at. On site, there'll typically be upto 10 databases on different client
machines we're wanting to poll from, and push data to. Is there any way
(using Meta Objects for example) to dynamically use one adapter to push a
message to one of several databases depending on data retrieved previously
in the collaboration?

5. On the test box for this solution, the hardware issue really comes to the
forefront of the concerns raised. We're typically looking at having a QM
with upto 80 queues, split into 8 blocks of 10 sites.
Each site has 4 queues for download, and 4 remote queues for upload.
Every 1st queue would download messages of the same type, so the 1st, 9th
17th and so on are all queues that can contain the same messages (ie, have
the same ASBO) being downloaded from different sites.
The site information is contained in the message. This principle applies to
queues 1 to 8 for each site.
In my (very basic) knowledge of WBI, it appears possible then to have 8
adapters running, 4 which monitor messages coming into the system, and 4 for
outbound messages. The catch is, can each adapter "talk to" 10 queues?

Finally, in commenting on the useability of the system manager. It seems
really good in a lot of things, but there are small issues (consisting of
about 5% of what we try to do) where there's a gap of it not doing what
you'd expect and having to write up some java code to cover for it. It's a
shame, I really want to like this IDE, but it just lacks that last bit that
makes it a good application.