MQ design question - Websphere

This is a discussion on MQ design question - Websphere ; Hi All, We are upto building a stock trading system from scratch. We need to get live market data feed from stock exchange. Stock exchange only provides an IP address and port number, I know i can use socket programming ...

  1. MQ design question

    Hi All,

    We are upto building a stock trading system from scratch.
    We need to get live market data feed from stock exchange.

    Stock exchange only provides an IP address and port number, I know i can use socket programming to get the live data.

    But I wanted to know if MQ can be used for this purpose. If i want to use MQ does stock exhange also need to support MQ ?? , since they provide only IP address and port number ( one live and one backup ) , I am also relatively new to MQ so not sure if MQ can be used

    If MQ can be used then do we need to build both Server and Client ?? or just build a client && connect to IP address and port

    any input/pointers/resources is greatly appreciated.

    Many thanks,
    AAleem

  2. Re: MQ design question

    aaleem@netvigator.com wrote:
    > We are upto building a stock trading system from scratch. We
    > need to get live market data feed from stock exchange.
    >
    > Stock exchange only provides an IP address and port number, I
    > know i can use socket programming to get the live data.
    >
    > But I wanted to know if MQ can be used for this purpose. If i
    > want to use MQ does stock exhange also need to support MQ ?? ,
    > since they provide only IP address and port number ( one live
    > and one backup ) , I am also relatively new to MQ so not sure
    > if MQ can be used

    Hmm. Depends if you only want to use MQ... if so, then yes I'd
    expect the exchange to support MQ. If you are prepared to look at
    WebSphere Message Broker, you could use the TCP/IP nodes
    SupportPac or perhaps the RealTime JMS nodes.

    However, I'm not entirely clear on what the app that you are
    building is supposed to do with the data - publish it, fetch it,
    store it? So I can't really comment on what might be a suitable
    solution.

    Andy

    --
    http://andypiper.wordpress.com/

  3. Re: MQ design question

    Thanks a lot Andy,

    Yes ofcourse we need to store the data for analysis.
    It is basically to display some live charts, quotes and few other live
    parameters which are streamed from the exchange.

    Just another question, when you say exchange should support MQ, does it mean that they should have a MQ server built? and we just have a client to subscribe ??

    thanks
    Abdul

  4. Re: MQ design question

    If your application does not entail transaction processing or any kind of STP that requires reliable message delivery, you might seriously consider to avoid using messaging middleware altogether. If you just need to poll the trading platform for live quotes every 5 minites and process the data locally, why not write a simple Java program which would read the data off the socket, normalize it, and dump into a relational store or even Microsoft excel files.

  5. Re: MQ design question

    aaleem@netvigator.com wrote:
    > Thanks a lot Andy,
    >
    > Yes ofcourse we need to store the data for analysis. It is
    > basically to display some live charts, quotes and few other
    > live parameters which are streamed from the exchange.
    >
    > Just another question, when you say exchange should support
    > MQ, does it mean that they should have a MQ server built? and
    > we just have a client to subscribe ??

    I'm still struggling to understand the MQ requirement here.

    If you want to receive MQ messages that are published by the
    exchange, then you'd want them to have an MQ server and broker
    and actually publish the data on topics. Your app would subscribe
    to receive them.

    However, it doesn't sound like the exchange does currently
    support MQ (does it?). If they provide an IP and port, presumably
    they have some sockets-based protocol? In which case, I can't see
    how you would use MQ, unless you used e.g. the TCP/IP nodes in
    Message Broker to bridge to MQ for your own use. In which case,
    you may also write a Java or C app to handle this, and only have
    MQ on your side, if you need it.

    Andy
    --
    http://andypiper.wordpress.com/