MQ Gui Administrator - Websphere

This is a discussion on MQ Gui Administrator - Websphere ; Hi all, I'm very new to MQ... I've found reference for MQ v6 supporting the Admin GUI interface on platforms other than windows. Specifically we are running MQ v6 on Solaris x86-64. Does anyone know if it is possible to ...

  1. MQ Gui Administrator

    Hi all, I'm very new to MQ...

    I've found reference for MQ v6 supporting the Admin GUI interface on platforms other than windows. Specifically we are running MQ v6 on Solaris x86-64. Does anyone know if it is possible to set up the GUI interface for administration against this platform? And... if so do you know how. There is a ton of documentation for WebSphere MQ, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer to if or how this can be done.

    Thanks for any replies.
    Jeff Mooney

  2. Re: MQ Gui Administrator

    jmooney@courts.state.ny.us wrote:
    > Hi all, I'm very new to MQ...
    >
    > I've found reference for MQ v6 supporting the Admin GUI interface on platforms other than windows. Specifically we are running MQ v6 on Solaris x86-64. Does anyone know if it is possible to set up the GUI interface for administration against this platform? And... if so do you know how. There is a ton of documentation for WebSphere MQ, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer to if or how this can be done.

    The GUI is supplied for Windows and Linux only, but can be used to
    administer remote queue managers regardless of which platform the queue
    managers reside on. To add a queue manager, go via Show/Hide Queue Managers.

  3. Re: MQ Gui Administrator

    Thanks for the info. Can anyone tell me how to do this? Can the Windows GUI be installed on a desktop and then configured to connect? There doesn't seem to be too much documentation on this topic... I don't see any reference on setting up the Queue Manager for this either. Or do you happen to know where specific information on this topic can be found. The admin GUI guide is pretty useless when it comes to this topic.

  4. Re: MQ Gui Administrator

    Stephen Toledo-Brown wrote:
    > jmooney@courts.state.ny.us wrote:
    > > Hi all, I'm very new to MQ...
    > >
    > > I've found reference for MQ v6 supporting the Admin GUI interface
    > > on platforms other than windows. Specifically we are running MQ v6
    > > on Solaris x86-64. Does anyone know if it is possible to set up
    > > the GUI interface for administration against this platform? And...
    > > if so do you know how. There is a ton of documentation for
    > > WebSphere MQ, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer to if or
    > > how this can be done.

    > The GUI is supplied for Windows and Linux only, but can be used to
    > administer remote queue managers regardless of which platform the
    > queue managers reside on. To add a queue manager, go via Show/Hide
    > Queue Managers.

    Is there some confusion here between SupportPac MO71 "MQ GUI
    Administrator"
    (Windows only) and the Eclipse WMQ Explorer which ships with MQ v6.0
    for Windows & Linux?

    Glenn.

  5. Re: MQ Gui Administrator

    Actually in retrospect I believe there was confusion on my part... being so new to MQ and having read a combined total of at least 1500+ pages of information over the last week I think contributed to my own misunderstanding.

    BUT, the info given was ultimately helpful in that I figured out how to install the SupportPac MO71 "MQ GUI Administrator" on my Windows XP PC and connect to MQ on Solaris. I would have thought more information, or specific instructions rather, would have been available on how to go about configuring this scenario. I can't be the first to want more than a command line utility on Solaris and was suprised to find very little reference [by todays web search results standards] on this topic. Not to mention that it took me forever to search the correct string on IBM.com to find the Windows XP client for MQ.

    Lacking configuration instructions I did manage to configure it to connect, but am still a little unclear on some of how it works - that too might have a lot to do with my inexperience with MQ to date, though.

    As an afterthought I have to state that IBM seems to hide the answers in plain sight. Meaning that there is SO much documentation that covers every topic [which at face value is wonderful in itself] BUT has very little specific instruction/information/examples... It almost feels like the answers are obfuscated by being located in too many locations and answered too generically at times - If that makes any sense. Again I reference how difficult it was just to find the client piece - that is a good example of having to dig through too much information.

    Thank you both for your replies. This forum doesn't seem to popular/busy compared to most I've used, so I appreciate you taking the time to help.

    Jeff M.

  6. Re: MQ Gui Administrator

    Jeff,

    I am the author of MO71 and I would be more than willing to try and improve
    the documentation that comes with it if you have some suggestions. Generally
    speaking I assume that the user can create a client connection to the
    machine and can follow the instructions in the client book for that.
    However, if there's a key piece of information I could add to make life
    easier please let me know. Of course, this applies to any part of the MO71
    documentation; please let me know if you have problems. (e-mail direct is
    fine),

    Cheers,
    Paul.

    wrote in message
    news:254263731.1153743442057.JavaMail.wassrvr@ltsg was010.sby.ibm.com...
    > Actually in retrospect I believe there was confusion on my part... being
    > so new to MQ and having read a combined total of at least 1500+ pages of
    > information over the last week I think contributed to my own
    > misunderstanding.
    >
    > BUT, the info given was ultimately helpful in that I figured out how to
    > install the SupportPac MO71 "MQ GUI Administrator" on my Windows XP PC and
    > connect to MQ on Solaris. I would have thought more information, or
    > specific instructions rather, would have been available on how to go about
    > configuring this scenario. I can't be the first to want more than a
    > command line utility on Solaris and was suprised to find very little
    > reference [by todays web search results standards] on this topic. Not to
    > mention that it took me forever to search the correct string on IBM.com to
    > find the Windows XP client for MQ.
    >
    > Lacking configuration instructions I did manage to configure it to
    > connect, but am still a little unclear on some of how it works - that too
    > might have a lot to do with my inexperience with MQ to date, though.
    >
    > As an afterthought I have to state that IBM seems to hide the answers in
    > plain sight. Meaning that there is SO much documentation that covers
    > every topic [which at face value is wonderful in itself] BUT has very
    > little specific instruction/information/examples... It almost feels like
    > the answers are obfuscated by being located in too many locations and
    > answered too generically at times - If that makes any sense. Again I
    > reference how difficult it was just to find the client piece - that is a
    > good example of having to dig through too much information.
    >
    > Thank you both for your replies. This forum doesn't seem to popular/busy
    > compared to most I've used, so I appreciate you taking the time to help.
    >
    > Jeff M.

+ Reply to Thread