Transactional Applications multiple resources - Websphere

This is a discussion on Transactional Applications multiple resources - Websphere ; Hi, I makening a test drive with WebSphere MQ 6 and Oracle; More particulary the distributed features. I installed the trail version of WMQ on a single dev. machine. I can put and get messages in a queue but if ...

  1. Transactional Applications multiple resources

    Hi,

    I makening a test drive with WebSphere MQ 6 and Oracle; More particulary the distributed features.

    I installed the trail version of WMQ on a single dev. machine. I can put and get messages in a queue but if I want to combine this with Oracle in a distributed transaction, things don't work as expected.

    By the way I using .NET 2.0 as a develoment platform and I investigating the new System.transactions namespace. Under the hood this mechanism uses the MS DTC as external coordinator.

    Within a single transactionScope (.Net jargon) I try to write something to a queue AND something to a database. I see my table get updated but I never see the message appear in the Queue. Neveretheless the transaction is completed (and the DTC statistics are incremented with a sucessfull transaction). MQ does not issue an error. Still i don't see an entry in the queue; (I'm using a tool from www.niratul.com to look inside the queues)

    I made a update in the registry as specified in a IBM document (http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview...S&cs=utf-8?=en)

    Mind that the same test program works fine with MSMQ as queing solution. I just wanted to see if Websphere MQ can participate in transactions ruled by the new System.Transaction mechanism.

    Anyone tried this before?

    Any help is welcome.

    Regards,

    Alexander

  2. Re: Transactional Applications multiple resources

    Alexander,

    I haven't checked to see if the transaction coordinator you are using is supported but there is one other obvious thing to look for...are you using the WMQ client to connect or are you using server bindings? The client connection requires you to specify the hostname or IP address, port and channel. Bindings mode requires you to run the app on the same host as the QMgr and uses IPC to communicate with it. In bindings mode you do NOT specify hostname, port and channel. XA transactions are supported in bindings mode and when using the Extended Transactional Client. The base WMQ client (i.e. the free one) does not support XA.

    -- T.Rob

  3. Re: Transactional Applications multiple resources

    Ok,

    I see. I not really familiar with WMQ but i think I'm using all the defaults,: that's everything is installed on one machine (I'm using the trail version of WMQ 6).

    Can I conclude that if everything is one one machine you use server binding automatically and XA support is commpletly out of the picture.

    Our organisation has a MQseries software version (don't know which yet) installed on a mainframe machine....somewhere.

    So if I would install the WMQ client software on my machine , and use a QueueManager on the mainframe, XA could actually work.

    I guess the trail version uses the deafult WMQ client.

    I downloaded also a trail version of a WMQ client 5.3. Do I need additional software (I keep reading about extended Transactional Client but i can not find any proper information about that for the moment)? Do I remove the WMQ server part?

    I would much appreciate your help!

    Regards,

    Alexander

  4. Re: Transactional Applications multiple resources

    Alexander,

    You got thast backwards, actually. When using server bindings, XA *is* supported. When using base client bindings, XA is *not* supported. With JMS the default settings are to use client bindings. If you are using JNDI, set the TRANSPORT property of the Connection Factory to "BIND" and blank out the host name and connection details. See the "WebSphere MQ Using Java" manual at this page for details:
    http://www-306.ibm.com/software/inte...library6x.html

    When you installed the WMQ V6 trial version, I believe it also installed a WMQ v6 client (well, the full version works that way so I'm assuming the trial does too). But if you want to use a client, you should at least install the current one. The v6.0 client will work on any WMQ server version. Those are here:
    http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview...=utf-8&lang=en

    The Extended Transactional Client (ETC) is a feature that is available with a full QMgr license that lets you use XA over a client connection. When installing WMQ Server, one of the available options is to install ETC. Unlike the free client, each instance of ETC is a paid license. When using the ETC there is some configurration external to your code that enables XA coordination. The main difference you see in the code is that you use the XA coordinator's commit method. The doc for ETC is here: http://www-306.ibm.com/software/inte...library53.html

    -- T.Rob

  5. Re: Transactional Applications multiple resources

    Hi,

    Thank you. Sorry for the late reply (holidays

    Is there a possibility to download the extended Transactional Client . I suppose this is actually the dll mqic32xa.dll .

    I installed the trail version of WMQ but the bin folder does not show any sign of that file.

    Best regards,

    Alexander

  6. Re: Transactional Applications multiple resources

    The Extended Transactional Client is an item that is purchased separately.
    Please talk to your sales rep.

    Martin

    wrote in message
    news:662370650.1154446862400.JavaMail.wassrvr@ltsg was010.sby.ibm.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Thank you. Sorry for the late reply (holidays
    >
    > Is there a possibility to download the extended Transactional Client . I
    > suppose this is actually the dll mqic32xa.dll .
    >
    > I installed the trail version of WMQ but the bin folder does not show any
    > sign of that file.
    >
    > Best regards,
    >

    > Alexander

  7. Re: Transactional Applications multiple resources

    Alexander,

    The ETC is included in the distribution media when you buy a full WMQ server license. If you did not get a copy with the trial WMQ download then you will need to purchase the full WMQ version to get it.

    Please note that the ETC is licensed for EVERY installation. So you cannot purchase it and install it onto two or more hosts.

    -- T.Rob

  8. Re: Transactional Applications multiple resources

    Hello,

    So if I understand correctly when my app connects to a Qmgr in "server-mode" (NMQ_MQ_LIB = mqm.dll) . This program can issue a get/put (with synpoint options) AND a SQLServer database insert in a single Unit Of Work (ie distr. trans.)

    Unfortunatly I don't seem to get my example up and running. I keep getting the error: MQRC_UOW_ENLISTMENT_ERROR 2354 .

    I verified my registry : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSDTC\XADLL amqmtsxatm.dll = C:\Program Files\IBM\MQSeries\bin\amqmtsxatm.dll

    I'm missing something?

    Any help is welcome. Thanks in advance.

    Best regards,

    Alexander