Publish Subscribe with Visual Basic 6 - Websphere

This is a discussion on Publish Subscribe with Visual Basic 6 - Websphere ; Hi I am very new to MQ I am writing a subscriber application in Visual Basic 6.0.I would like to know if there are any samples to do a subscriber application in Visual Basic 6.0. Also I would like to ...

  1. Publish Subscribe with Visual Basic 6

    Hi

    I am very new to MQ

    I am writing a subscriber application in Visual Basic 6.0.I would like to know if there are any samples to do a subscriber application in Visual Basic 6.0.

    Also I would like to know if there is any sort of listener support for Visual Basic, i.e I would like to know if there is a way to be alerted whenever a message is published (instead of me polling)

    Thanks

  2. Re: Publish Subscribe with Visual Basic 6

    The support for these types of operation is good in JMS, or in XMS (for
    which there are C, C++ and .NET bindings). Sorry these are not easy to use
    from VB6. (Can you use .NET ?) See
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/we..._phillips.html
    for an article on this, and near the bottom is a link or two pointing to the
    (free) downloads.

    Martin

    wrote in message
    news:1495524358.1140790717655.JavaMail.wassrvr@lts gwas007.sby.ibm.com...
    > Hi
    >
    > I am very new to MQ
    >
    > I am writing a subscriber application in Visual Basic 6.0.I would like to
    > know if there are any samples to do a subscriber application in Visual
    > Basic 6.0.
    >
    > Also I would like to know if there is any sort of listener support for
    > Visual Basic, i.e I would like to know if there is a way to be alerted
    > whenever a message is published (instead of me polling)
    >
    > Thanks

  3. Re: Publish Subscribe with Visual Basic 6

    Thanks Martin, I am using Visual Basic 6. Is there any way I could get a listener for Visual Basic, ( Even third party products are ok)

    Thanks again

  4. Re: Publish Subscribe with Visual Basic 6

    Even if JMS and XMS don't suit, I still don't think it's necessary to go
    looking for a product (and, for what it's worth, I am not aware of any such
    products that would do what you say). The normal MQ API allows you to poll
    for messages with a long wait period. This is only notionally different
    from an event-driven "listener". If you can start a dedicated thread to do
    this type of work, it is really no different from an event being driven by
    the messaging software on its own thread. Here's a bit of pseudocode
    showing what I mean

    Start thread(start function : function1)
    ..
    ..
    ..
    function1
    {
    # we are in a new thread!
    do forever
    {
    MQGET(30 seconds wait interval)
    Check health of app
    }
    }

    Does this help?
    Martin

    wrote in message
    news:396911719.1140798198237.JavaMail.wassrvr@ltsg was007.sby.ibm.com...
    > Thanks Martin, I am using Visual Basic 6. Is there any way I could get a
    > listener for Visual Basic, ( Even third party products are ok)
    >
    > Thanks again

+ Reply to Thread