IBM implementation of MessageProducer.send(Message message) (JMS) ? - Websphere

This is a discussion on IBM implementation of MessageProducer.send(Message message) (JMS) ? - Websphere ; Hello, here is my JMS code (was6.0.2.3 + MQ 6.0.1) MessageProducer producer = null; [..] long time1 = System.currentTimeMillis(); producer.send(message); long time2 = System.currentTimeMillis(); my question is : when does the send method returns ? when the whole message is ...

  1. IBM implementation of MessageProducer.send(Message message) (JMS) ?

    Hello,
    here is my JMS code (was6.0.2.3 + MQ 6.0.1)

    MessageProducer producer = null;
    [..]
    long time1 = System.currentTimeMillis();
    producer.send(message);
    long time2 = System.currentTimeMillis();

    my question is : when does the send method returns ? when the whole message is arrived to the queue manager to which was is connected ?
    what is the relationship (the function) between the message length and (time2-time1) ?

    thanks

  2. Re: IBM implementation of MessageProducer.send(Message message) (JMS) ?

    Hi Oliver,

    Few thoughts about your second question:

    One would expect the function to be linear, ie, y = c + mx, where, c is a
    fixed cost overhead (bytes due to headers/mqmd), x is the message length,
    and m is the slope.

    You'll need empirical evidence to prove above relationship.

    In case it is better than linear, then theoritically some message
    compression might be taking place.

    In case it is worse than linear (say exponential), then it hints at a
    potential performance bug.

    Regards,
    saket

    wrote in message
    news:467100696.1140541564659.JavaMail.wassrvr@ltsg was007.sby.ibm.com...
    > Hello,
    > here is my JMS code (was6.0.2.3 + MQ 6.0.1)
    >
    > MessageProducer producer = null;
    > [..]
    > long time1 = System.currentTimeMillis();
    > producer.send(message);
    > long time2 = System.currentTimeMillis();
    >

    > my question is : when does the send method returns ? when the whole
    > message is arrived to the queue manager to which was is connected ?
    > what is the relationship (the function) between the message length and
    > (time2-time1) ?
    >

    > thanks

+ Reply to Thread