How to mirror a queue in a cluster? - Websphere

This is a discussion on How to mirror a queue in a cluster? - Websphere ; Hi, I want to create a simple failover for our MQ installation. There should be 2 servers with MQ Websphere on it and at every time both should have the same messages in the queues like the other. So if ...

  1. How to mirror a queue in a cluster?

    Hi,

    I want to create a simple failover for our MQ installation. There should
    be 2 servers with MQ Websphere on it and at every time both should have
    the same messages in the queues like the other. So if one of the server
    crashes, all informations are available at the other server.

    For the first - I want to build such with on local queue, wich will be
    filled and readed with the API exerciser program from IBM.

    I have created to QM and a cluster for them. Then I created a queue and
    shared it in the cluster. I put a message in this - i can only do that
    in the QM, where I created the queue. At the other QM I can see the
    queue and the depth of 1 message, but I cant get this message with the
    API execiser.

    It looks like a remote access to the other QM. But that is not, what I
    want. I'm afraid, that if server 1 (where I created the queue) crashes,
    server 2 can't access the shared queue. So that isn't the mirror what I
    want.

    There must be another way. Do you now how? Is that possible? Sorry, I'm
    only a beginner.

    Thanks and BR,
    Heiko
    GERMANY

  2. Re: How to mirror a queue in a cluster?

    MQ Clustering does not do high-availability in the sense where it mirror's
    messages on a queue b/c the fundamentals of MQ is once-and-once-only message
    delivery. For such a scenario I would suggest a clustering solution such as
    MSCS or HACMP to accomplish what you want.

    Here is a great article that discusses hardware/os clustering and MQ
    clustering...

    http://www-128.ibm.com/developerwork...5_his****.html

    "Heiko Mittelstaedt" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I want to create a simple failover for our MQ installation. There should
    > be 2 servers with MQ Websphere on it and at every time both should have
    > the same messages in the queues like the other. So if one of the server
    > crashes, all informations are available at the other server.
    >
    > For the first - I want to build such with on local queue, wich will be
    > filled and readed with the API exerciser program from IBM.
    >
    > I have created to QM and a cluster for them. Then I created a queue and
    > shared it in the cluster. I put a message in this - i can only do that
    > in the QM, where I created the queue. At the other QM I can see the
    > queue and the depth of 1 message, but I cant get this message with the
    > API execiser.
    >
    > It looks like a remote access to the other QM. But that is not, what I
    > want. I'm afraid, that if server 1 (where I created the queue) crashes,
    > server 2 can't access the shared queue. So that isn't the mirror what I
    > want.
    >
    > There must be another way. Do you now how? Is that possible? Sorry, I'm
    > only a beginner.
    >
    > Thanks and BR,
    > Heiko
    > GERMANY

  3. Re: How to mirror a queue in a cluster?

    This is a much better MQ facility than MQ Clusters to accomplish load
    balancing and security if one QM (or application attached to that QM) fail :
    Shared Queues. But this facility only exists for MQ on z/OS. With Shared
    Queues, multiple (up to 32) QMs all share access to one common physical
    queue maintained in a Coupling Facility. Simple, elegant and..... a z/OS
    exclusive with the Sysplex. Just go out and do it on z/OS !

+ Reply to Thread