XMS.NET - Problem Setting Expiration Date - Websphere

This is a discussion on XMS.NET - Problem Setting Expiration Date - Websphere ; First, Apologies if I'm putting this in the wrong place. I'm trying to put a the Message Server Client for .NET 1.1 w/ WMQ Server 5.3. No matter what I do, it won't seem to correctly set the expiration date ...

  1. XMS.NET - Problem Setting Expiration Date

    First,

    Apologies if I'm putting this in the wrong place.

    I'm trying to put a the Message Server Client for .NET 1.1 w/ WMQ Server 5.3. No matter what I do, it won't seem to correctly set the expiration date of the message. I tried the same thing using the C++ implementation and it worked correctly. Am I doing something wrong in the .NET version or is this not implemented yet?

    Thanks,

    Mark

    Here are the things I tried (none of them set it correctly on the server).

    producer.SetLongProperty("expiry",1000);
    producer.SetLongProperty("Expiry",2000);
    producer.SetLongProperty("XMSC_TIME_TO_LIVE",1000);
    producer.SetLongProperty(IBM.XMS.XMSC.JMS_EXPIRATI ON,1000);

    producer.TimeToLive = 500;

  2. Re: XMS.NET - Problem Setting Expiration Date

    Hi Mark,

    You should try:
    producer.SetLongProperty(IBM.XMS.XMSC.TIME_TO_LIVE ,1000);

    If that is still not achieving what you need, get back to me and I'll look
    into it further.

    Brian

    wrote in message
    news:1825651901.1134059314432.JavaMail.wassrvr@lts gwas007.sby.ibm.com...
    > First,
    >
    > Apologies if I'm putting this in the wrong place.
    >
    > I'm trying to put a the Message Server Client for .NET 1.1 w/ WMQ Server

    5.3. No matter what I do, it won't seem to correctly set the expiration
    date of the message. I tried the same thing using the C++ implementation
    and it worked correctly. Am I doing something wrong in the .NET version or
    is this not implemented yet?

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mark
    >
    > Here are the things I tried (none of them set it correctly on the server).
    >
    > producer.SetLongProperty("expiry",1000);
    > producer.SetLongProperty("Expiry",2000);
    > producer.SetLongProperty("XMSC_TIME_TO_LIVE",1000);
    > producer.SetLongProperty(IBM.XMS.XMSC.JMS_EXPIRATI ON,1000);
    >
    > producer.TimeToLive = 500;

  3. Re: XMS.NET - Problem Setting Expiration Date

    Hi Brian,

    That doesn't seem to work either. Here is the full set that I tried. For reference, I'm just using the sample code that came with XMS.net 1.1 and WMQ 5.3. I also tried with the C++ sample by adding this line, which seems to work fine (I saw the message on the server with a changing expiration time). Any help is greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Mark

    C++ Attempt (works)

    producer.SetIntProperty("expiry",10000);

    producer.Send(sendMsg);

    NET Attempt

    producer.SetIntProperty("expiry",1000);

    producer.SetIntProperty("Expiry",2000);

    producer.SetIntProperty("XMSC_TIME_TO_LIVE",1000);

    producer.SetIntProperty(IBM.XMS.XMSC.TIME_TO_LIVE, 1000);

    producer.SetIntProperty(IBM.XMS.XMSC.JMS_EXPIRATIO N,1000);

    producer.TimeToLive = 500;

    sendMsg.JMSExpiration = 500;

    producer.Send(sendMsg);

  4. Re: XMS.NET - Problem Setting Expiration Date

    Mark,

    I've looked into this a little further, and I agree that it would appear
    that setting the time to live of the message producer is not having any
    effect on the messages produced. Setting the time to live on the
    destination to which the messages are sent does have some effect, in that I
    can see that the messages contain an expiry property with the value I set,
    but I'm still not entirely convinced that the messages will expire as
    expected.

    What I did was:
    destination.setLongProperty(IBM.XMS.XMSC.TIME_TO_L IVE,1000);

    where destination is the destination to which the producer is sending
    messages.

    I'll talk to the XMS .NET developers about this to investigate:
    - am I misinterpreting something
    - is there anything else you could to get the desired effect of message
    expiry
    - is there a defect in XMS .NET to be fixed

    Thanks for raising the issue - we'll get back to you when we understand
    more.

    Brian

    wrote in message
    news:1193017186.1134068454525.JavaMail.wassrvr@lts gwas007.sby.ibm.com...
    > Hi Brian,
    >
    > That doesn't seem to work either. Here is the full set that I tried. For

    reference, I'm just using the sample code that came with XMS.net 1.1 and WMQ
    5.3. I also tried with the C++ sample by adding this line, which seems to
    work fine (I saw the message on the server with a changing expiration time).
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mark
    >
    > C++ Attempt (works)
    >
    > producer.SetIntProperty("expiry",10000);
    >
    > producer.Send(sendMsg);
    >

    > NET Attempt
    >
    > producer.SetIntProperty("expiry",1000);
    >
    > producer.SetIntProperty("Expiry",2000);
    >
    > producer.SetIntProperty("XMSC_TIME_TO_LIVE",1000);
    >
    > producer.SetIntProperty(IBM.XMS.XMSC.TIME_TO_LIVE, 1000);
    >
    > producer.SetIntProperty(IBM.XMS.XMSC.JMS_EXPIRATIO N,1000);
    >
    > producer.TimeToLive = 500;
    >
    > sendMsg.JMSExpiration = 500;
    >
    > producer.Send(sendMsg);

  5. Re: XMS.NET - Problem Setting Expiration Date

    Hi Mark,

    We've now raised this as a product defect. A fix is currently being
    investigated and will be available in the next refresh, scheduled for late
    Jan/early Feb.

    In the meantime, unfortunately there's aren't many ways to re-create this
    behaviour, the best alternative would be to set the default expiration time
    of the MQ queue.

    Many thanks for your help in finding the problem.

    All the best,
    Charlie

    "Brian Cope" wrote in message
    > Mark,
    >
    > I've looked into this a little further, and I agree that it would appear
    > that setting the time to live of the message producer is not having any
    > effect on the messages produced. Setting the time to live on the
    > destination to which the messages are sent does have some effect, in that

    > can see that the messages contain an expiry property with the value I set,
    > but I'm still not entirely convinced that the messages will expire as
    > expected.
    >
    > What I did was:
    > destination.setLongProperty(IBM.XMS.XMSC.TIME_TO_L IVE,1000);
    >
    > where destination is the destination to which the producer is sending
    > messages.
    >
    > I'll talk to the XMS .NET developers about this to investigate:
    > - am I misinterpreting something
    > - is there anything else you could to get the desired effect of message
    > expiry
    > - is there a defect in XMS .NET to be fixed
    >
    > Thanks for raising the issue - we'll get back to you when we understand
    > more.
    >
    > Brian
    >

    > wrote in message
    > news:1193017186.1134068454525.JavaMail.wassrvr@lts gwas007.sby.ibm.com...
    > > Hi Brian,
    > >
    > > That doesn't seem to work either. Here is the full set that I tried.

    For
    > reference, I'm just using the sample code that came with XMS.net 1.1 and

    WMQ
    > 5.3. I also tried with the C++ sample by adding this line, which seems to
    > work fine (I saw the message on the server with a changing expiration

    time).
    > Any help is greatly appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Mark
    > >
    > > C++ Attempt (works)
    > >
    > > producer.SetIntProperty("expiry",10000);
    > >
    > > producer.Send(sendMsg);
    > >

    > > NET Attempt
    > >
    > > producer.SetIntProperty("expiry",1000);
    > >
    > > producer.SetIntProperty("Expiry",2000);
    > >
    > > producer.SetIntProperty("XMSC_TIME_TO_LIVE",1000);
    > >
    > > producer.SetIntProperty(IBM.XMS.XMSC.TIME_TO_LIVE, 1000);
    > >
    > > producer.SetIntProperty(IBM.XMS.XMSC.JMS_EXPIRATIO N,1000);
    > >
    > > producer.TimeToLive = 500;
    > >
    > > sendMsg.JMSExpiration = 500;
    > >
    > > producer.Send(sendMsg);

  6. Re: XMS.NET - Problem Setting Expiration Date

    Charlie,

    Thanks for the update. I look forward to that update - in the meantime, I will explore setting the default expiration date on the MQ.

    Thanks,

    Mark

  7. Re: XMS.NET - Problem Setting Expiration Date

    Charlie,

    Is the ability to set the default expiration date of the Queue a feature in MQ 6.0? I'm using 5.3 and according to the manual, this is not an option that you can set at the Queue level.

    Thanks,

    Mark

  8. Re: XMS.NET - Problem Setting Expiration Date

    Hi Mark,

    I've had another look and unfortunately I may have given you a red herring,
    it doesn't appear to be possible to set the default expiration time of an MQ
    queue. I'm sorry if this has waisted any time. We're still investigating the
    fix at the moment but are confident we can deliver this in the refresh
    planned for late Jan/early Feb.

    All the best,
    Charlie

    wrote in message
    news:1804977055.1134476223749.JavaMail.wassrvr@lts gwas007.sby.ibm.com...
    > Charlie,
    >
    > Is the ability to set the default expiration date of the Queue a feature

    in MQ 6.0? I'm using 5.3 and according to the manual, this is not an option
    that you can set at the Queue level.

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mark

+ Reply to Thread