How to convert a 3270 data stream MQ message - Websphere

This is a discussion on How to convert a 3270 data stream MQ message - Websphere ; Our customer is sending us a 3270 data stream using MQ message. This message contains 3270 attributes and it is variable length. They are not using BMS and there is no BMS definition. The challenge is when we get the ...

  1. How to convert a 3270 data stream MQ message

    Our customer is sending us a 3270 data stream using MQ message. This
    message contains 3270 attributes and it is variable length. They are not
    using BMS and there is no BMS definition. The challenge is when we get
    the message we need some how to translate the 3270 attributes and pass a
    clean message to our customer.
    Does any body knows a good way to convert the 3270 data attribute.
    Thank you so mush for your help

  2. Re: How to convert a 3270 data stream MQ message

    It's a Looong time since I coded 3270 datstreams, but basically you should
    look for the SBAs (Set Buffer Address) x'11' - this is normally followed by
    2 bytes which represent the row and column numbers that the data was at
    (remember 3270 screens were normally 24 rows x 80 columns). The next byte is
    normally x'1D' (SF - start field) etc.

    Have a look at :

    http://www.mainframeweek.com/journal...basics,+part+2

  3. Re: How to convert a 3270 data stream MQ message

    To add to the prior response: The most comprensive reference is the "3270
    Information Display System Data Stream Programmer's Guide" - GA23-0059.
    It was last updated in 1992. There is an online version available at

    http://www.elink.ibmlink.ibm.com/pub...L=GA23-0059-07

    Note it is in BookManager format, not pdf.

    The 3270 is a very smart device. It has many options that can make the
    interpretation of the data stream a challange. Quite often you will find
    that you have to decode a control character
    at a bit by bit level. I would suggest that you start with a simple 3270
    datastream and, once that is understood, work up to more complex ones.

    The 3270 datastream is truly variable. Each attribute and control
    function must be interpreted before going to the next byte.

    For example, the "Repeat to Address" can be fun to figure out. Consider
    this EBCDIC example x'1140403cC404000' - when sent to a 3270 and
    executed, the buffer would be filled with binary zeros (X'00') regardless
    of the size of the buffer.

    However, the "Erase Write" command can do the same thing.

    Have fun,
    Bill

  4. Re: How to convert a 3270 data stream MQ message

    Would I be able to achieve the conversion using MQ CICS BRIDGE function. Is there any IBM software that is capable of doing the conversion in a WMQ enviroment ?

+ Reply to Thread