URL Alias / Mapping - Websphere

This is a discussion on URL Alias / Mapping - Websphere ; Hi I have a simple question aliasing or URL mapping. I have a machine SERVER1 which is running WAS 6.0 and on it I have deployed a vendor supplied web app. On another machine SERVER2, IBM HTTP server and plugin ...

  1. URL Alias / Mapping

    Hi I have a simple question aliasing or URL mapping.

    I have a machine SERVER1 which is running WAS 6.0 and on it I have deployed a vendor supplied web app. On another machine SERVER2, IBM HTTP server and plugin are installed and plugin is redirecting requests to WAS.

    I can access the web from HTTP server using following link.

    http://SERVER2/enterprise115/desktop/login.do

    however this link is too big for users so I want to create an alias or URL mapping so that I can access it using

    http://SERVER2/infov

    Please recommend how can I do it. Would it be done at WAS level or at HTTP server?

    Thanks in advance.

    Regards,

  2. Re: URL Alias / Mapping

    post_box8@yahoo.co.in wrote:
    > Hi I have a simple question aliasing or URL mapping.
    >
    > I have a machine SERVER1 which is running WAS 6.0 and on it I have deployed a vendor supplied web app. On another machine SERVER2, IBM HTTP server and plugin are installed and plugin is redirecting requests to WAS.
    >
    > I can access the web from HTTP server using following link.
    >
    > http://SERVER2/enterprise115/desktop/login.do
    >
    > however this link is too big for users so I want to create an alias or URL mapping so that I can access it using
    >
    > http://SERVER2/infov
    >
    > Please recommend how can I do it. Would it be done at WAS level or at HTTP server?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Regards,

    # ultimate url visible to client so everything just works
    Redirect /infov /enterprise115/desktop/login.do

    or
    # map the initial URL to a special place
    RewriteRule ^/infov$ /enterprise115/desktop/login.do [PT,L]
    # You need a rule here to map all of the webapp like this
    # so relative links work throughout the app
    # but unclear if the context root is enterprise115 or desktop:
    # RewriteRUle ^/infov/(.*)$ /enterprise115/desktop/$1 [PT]
    # or RewriteRule ^/infov/(.*)$ /enterprise115/$1 [PT]

  3. Re: URL Alias / Mapping

    Thanks Eric, I was able to make it work both ways Redirect as well as Rule.

    Now I have need another recommendation. I want to create a name based virtual host on this HTTP server so that I can host multiple sites / Applications but the problem is that how would I point this virtual host to my Application server (WAS).

    Please recommend.

    Regards

  4. Re: URL Alias / Mapping

    Add the named-virtualhost:80 host alias to your WAS virtualhost. Regen
    plugin. If you have *:80 in the host alias then all named hosts port 80
    combination will be able to front your WAS application.

    Sunit

    wrote in message
    news:632118179.1173749079143.JavaMail.wassrvr@ltsg was010.sby.ibm.com...
    > Thanks Eric, I was able to make it work both ways Redirect as well as
    > Rule.
    >
    > Now I have need another recommendation. I want to create a name based
    > virtual host on this HTTP server so that I can host multiple sites /
    > Applications but the problem is that how would I point this virtual host
    > to my Application server (WAS).
    >
    > Please recommend.
    >
    > Regards

  5. Re: URL Alias / Mapping

    Sunit,

    Thanks, as you mentioned I have *.80 in my WAS host alias however I am facing difficulty in configuring name based virtual host in HTTP server.

    Below is an example virtual host that I took from httpd.conf of HTTP Server

    #
    # ServerAdmin webmaster@dummy-host.example.com
    # DocumentRoot /www/docs/dummy-host.example.com
    # ServerName dummy-host.example.com
    # ErrorLog logs/dummy-host.example.com-error_log
    # CustomLog logs/dummy-host.example.com-access_log common
    #

    now what I do not understand is that how would this Vhost will talk to WAS.

    Also what should be the value for DocumentRoot as WAS is on a different server.

    Thanks in advance.

    Regards

  6. Re: URL Alias / Mapping

    WAS plug-in takes care of that. You can use any directory for DocumentRoot.

    Sunit

    wrote in message
    news:1374837879.1173796501617.JavaMail.wassrvr@lts gwas009.sby.ibm.com...
    > Sunit,
    >
    > Thanks, as you mentioned I have *.80 in my WAS host alias however I am
    > facing difficulty in configuring name based virtual host in HTTP server.
    >
    > Below is an example virtual host that I took from httpd.conf of HTTP
    > Server
    >
    > #
    > # ServerAdmin webmaster@dummy-host.example.com
    > # DocumentRoot /www/docs/dummy-host.example.com
    > # ServerName dummy-host.example.com
    > # ErrorLog logs/dummy-host.example.com-error_log
    > # CustomLog logs/dummy-host.example.com-access_log common
    > #

    > now what I do not understand is that how would this Vhost will talk to
    > WAS.
    >
    > Also what should be the value for DocumentRoot as WAS is on a different
    > server.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Regards

+ Reply to Thread