Rule services (5.4) - blaze - Websphere

This is a discussion on Rule services (5.4) - blaze - Websphere ; Hi, I'd like to get some feedback on the available rules services on 5.4 (BE). I must create some custom discount functions for an already existing shop. The discounts are pretty straight forward and shouldn't be too difficult to implement ...

  1. Rule services (5.4) - blaze

    Hi,

    I'd like to get some feedback on the available rules services on 5.4 (BE). I
    must create some custom discount functions for an already existing shop. The
    discounts are pretty straight forward and shouldn't be too difficult to
    implement I think..

    The following is what I need to do:
    Activation on discount:
    - All discounts are acitvated by an ID (i.e. user must provide an ID to get
    the discount)
    - Start / end date
    - Customer ERP number (1-n)
    - Market (what market is the customer active) E.g. SE, GB, US etc

    Type of discounts:
    - Percentage on orderitem
    - Percentage on orderitem if product A and B (and C and etc) is purchased

    Using Blaze workbench, this shouldn't be very difficult right? I've looked
    at it briefly and it doesn't seem so complicated. What worries me though is
    the Accelerator customization.
    Pretty soon we'll have to upgrade from 5.4.0.5 to 5.6.. What effect does
    that have on the discount implementation that we are planning? Can we use
    the code that we create in 5.4 in the 5.6 version?

    Any other comments? I am glad for any input that you can provide as this is
    new stuff for me..

    Best regards
    Peter

  2. Re: Rule services (5.4) - blaze

    I'm taken a little aback at your use of the word Blaze in the context of
    discounts. WC v5.4+ is very capable of handling discounts without the
    need for the Blaze Rules Engine.

    Maybe I'm having a hard time understanding how your customization does
    not fit the existing discount functionality and why you aren't
    considering merely overriding an implementation discount class. The
    requirements you listed are mostly out-of-the-box without BRE with
    exception of Market and Customer ERP number...both of which can likely
    be stored in custom fields within the default schema.

    BRE is an advanced feature that can be used for more complex rules flow
    well beyond simple discounting models and is mostly used for product
    recommendations in addition to the Product Advisor component. I'd
    personally shy you away from using it for portability/migration reasons
    as it is likely not going to be around forever. Remember the commerce
    personalization history trail, Blaze Advisor in NC/WCS v4, then on to
    MacroMedia's Likeminds, now we have BRE, and WebSphere Personalization
    is always in the picture now.

    As an OOB example, why not setup Market segments as member groups
    (MBRGRP table) and assign discounting behavior to these segments?
    Customer ERP sounds like part of the user profile in USERREG. Modify
    the existing discount classes to check these custom fields for your
    store's behavior.

    Peter Gothager wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'd like to get some feedback on the available rules services on 5.4 (BE). I
    > must create some custom discount functions for an already existing shop. The
    > discounts are pretty straight forward and shouldn't be too difficult to
    > implement I think..
    >
    > The following is what I need to do:
    > Activation on discount:
    > - All discounts are acitvated by an ID (i.e. user must provide an ID to get
    > the discount)
    > - Start / end date
    > - Customer ERP number (1-n)
    > - Market (what market is the customer active) E.g. SE, GB, US etc
    >
    > Type of discounts:
    > - Percentage on orderitem
    > - Percentage on orderitem if product A and B (and C and etc) is purchased
    >
    > Using Blaze workbench, this shouldn't be very difficult right? I've looked
    > at it briefly and it doesn't seem so complicated. What worries me though is
    > the Accelerator customization.
    > Pretty soon we'll have to upgrade from 5.4.0.5 to 5.6.. What effect does
    > that have on the discount implementation that we are planning? Can we use
    > the code that we create in 5.4 in the 5.6 version?
    >
    > Any other comments? I am glad for any input that you can provide as this is
    > new stuff for me..
    >
    > Best regards
    > Peter

  3. Re: Rule services (5.4) - blaze

    Hi,
    It is interesting that you mentioned you will soon be migrating to
    v5.6. All the features you listed in your post are available
    out-of-the-box in v5.6. My recommendation at this moment is: don't
    waste your time customizing the system. Migrate to V5.6 instead.

    RL

    --
    Richard C. Lee