Production and Staging in Same Cell - Websphere

This is a discussion on Production and Staging in Same Cell - Websphere ; I just want to confirm that having the Deployment Manager manage Production app servers and Staging app servers in the same cell is a bad idea. If someone makes a Staging change at the cell scope it could impact production ...

  1. Production and Staging in Same Cell

    I just want to confirm that having the Deployment Manager manage Production
    app servers and Staging app servers in the same cell is a bad idea. If
    someone makes a Staging change at the cell scope it could impact production
    and vice versa. Is it a best practice to have each environment (dev, QA,
    staging, prod) in its own cell? I'm looking into the wsinstance command to
    maybe at least share the same physical server to manage a couple different
    environments.

    Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

    Mike Meyer

  2. Re: Production and Staging in Same Cell

    Mike Meyer wrote:

    >I just want to confirm that having the Deployment Manager manage Production
    >app servers and Staging app servers in the same cell is a bad idea. If
    >someone makes a Staging change at the cell scope it could impact production
    >and vice versa. Is it a best practice to have each environment (dev, QA,
    >staging, prod) in its own cell? I'm looking into the wsinstance command to
    >maybe at least share the same physical server to manage a couple different
    >environments.
    >
    >Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
    >
    >Mike Meyer

    AAAAUUUUUUUGGGGHHHH !!!!!!!!

    Ahem. I'm feeling much better now :-)

    Production should be in its own cell with very few people authorized to
    administer it. You do not want somebody making a mistake with the
    Staging configuration taking down your production site.

    Ken

  3. Re: Production and Staging in Same Cell

    Agreed with Ken.

    Using wsinstance, you could make two Deployment Manager instances (not
    tested myself), but they would share the same binaries. Meaning when you
    apply a patch to the Staging Cell (and thus update the Staging DM), it is
    then directly applied on the Production DM as well. Not sure you want to do
    this... If I'd share the host, I'd make two separate installations of
    WebSphere.

  4. Re: Production and Staging in Same Cell

    Mike Meyer wrote:

    > I just want to confirm that having the Deployment Manager manage Production
    > app servers and Staging app servers in the same cell is a bad idea. If
    > someone makes a Staging change at the cell scope it could impact production
    > and vice versa. Is it a best practice to have each environment (dev, QA,
    > staging, prod) in its own cell? I'm looking into the wsinstance command to
    > maybe at least share the same physical server to manage a couple different
    > environments.

    you certainly want production in a separate cell from test environments.
    You might be ok with having different test environments in the same cell.

  5. Re: Production and Staging in Same Cell

    Mike Meyer wrote:
    > I just want to confirm that having the Deployment Manager manage Production
    > app servers and Staging app servers in the same cell is a bad idea. If
    > someone makes a Staging change at the cell scope it could impact production
    > and vice versa. Is it a best practice to have each environment (dev, QA,
    > staging, prod) in its own cell? I'm looking into the wsinstance command to
    > maybe at least share the same physical server to manage a couple different
    > environments.
    >
    > Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
    >
    > Mike Meyer

    We have set up Deployment Manager on its own server and used wsinstance
    to create a total of three cells: development, test and production. For
    our environment this has been the easiest to manage.

  6. Re: Production and Staging in Same Cell

    Hello,

    I know it's only the DM, but do you feel comfortable with the fact that when
    you update the binaries of the DM Node, you update the three DM's at once ?

  7. Re: Production and Staging in Same Cell

    Ben_ wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I know it's only the DM, but do you feel comfortable with the fact that when
    > you update the binaries of the DM Node, you update the three DM's at once ?

    Yes, but only because it is the DM. Until I was comfortable with the
    whole DM concept (coming from V4) I did have a separate deployment
    manager setup to test fix installs with wsinstances in place.

    FYI, our deployment managers are running a zSeries Linux.

+ Reply to Thread