Is it possible to virtual directory in websphere? - Websphere

This is a discussion on Is it possible to virtual directory in websphere? - Websphere ; Hi all, I would like to ask any reference document to set up a virtual directory in websphere. My scenario is: - A websphere express 5 with default host: http://localhost:7080/ - A web war deployed on the websphere express 5 ...

  1. Is it possible to virtual directory in websphere?

    Hi all,

    I would like to ask any reference document to set up a virtual directory
    in websphere. My scenario is:

    - A websphere express 5 with default host: http://localhost:7080/
    - A web war deployed on the websphere express 5 which can be access by
    the url: http://localhost:7080/webapplication
    - A apache (2.0) web server running on the same machine which contains a
    directory of images files. The url to access those
    images: http://localhost:8800/images/

    User would issue request to the websphere express 5 directly. The web
    application contains servlet which would accept
    the request and generate jsp as response. The jsp contains tag which
    would retrieve images from the apache server.
    The tag references the image by using code like this src="http://localhost:8800/images/a.gif"/>.

    But, I would like to ask whether I can setup a virtual directory inside
    the websphere (or the web war). Let's say a directory
    "webImages" (which points to the apache images files:
    http://localhost:8800/images/) under the deployed war application, so that
    the jsp file can retrieve the images by tag like src="/webImages/a.gif"/>.

    Is it possible to do so?

    Thanks in advance!

  2. Re: Is it possible to virtual directory in websphere?

    In Unix you can use symbolic link using ln -s command.

    Sunit

    "aa" wrote in message news:d1s8rm$1uto$1@news.boulder.ibm.com...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I would like to ask any reference document to set up a virtual
    > directory
    > in websphere. My scenario is:
    >
    > - A websphere express 5 with default host: http://localhost:7080/
    > - A web war deployed on the websphere express 5 which can be access by
    > the url: http://localhost:7080/webapplication
    > - A apache (2.0) web server running on the same machine which contains
    > directory of images files. The url to access those
    > images: http://localhost:8800/images/
    >
    > User would issue request to the websphere express 5 directly. The web
    > application contains servlet which would accept
    > the request and generate jsp as response. The jsp contains tag which
    > would retrieve images from the apache server.
    > The tag references the image by using code like this > src="http://localhost:8800/images/a.gif"/>.
    >
    > But, I would like to ask whether I can setup a virtual directory inside
    > the websphere (or the web war). Let's say a directory
    > "webImages" (which points to the apache images files:
    > http://localhost:8800/images/) under the deployed war application, so that
    > the jsp file can retrieve the images by tag like > src="/webImages/a.gif"/>.
    >
    > Is it possible to do so?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

  3. Re: Is it possible to virtual directory in websphere?

    Thanks for your reply.

    But I would like to ask is there any alternatives besides using symbolic
    link.

    Thanks.

    "Sunit Patke" wrote in message
    > In Unix you can use symbolic link using ln -s command.
    >
    > Sunit
    >
    > "aa" wrote in message news:d1s8rm$1uto$1@news.boulder.ibm.com...
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I would like to ask any reference document to set up a virtual
    > > directory
    > > in websphere. My scenario is:
    > >
    > > - A websphere express 5 with default host: http://localhost:7080/
    > > - A web war deployed on the websphere express 5 which can be access

    by
    > > the url: http://localhost:7080/webapplication
    > > - A apache (2.0) web server running on the same machine which

    contains
    > > directory of images files. The url to access those
    > > images: http://localhost:8800/images/
    > >
    > > User would issue request to the websphere express 5 directly. The web
    > > application contains servlet which would accept
    > > the request and generate jsp as response. The jsp contains tag which
    > > would retrieve images from the apache server.
    > > The tag references the image by using code like this > > src="http://localhost:8800/images/a.gif"/>.
    > >
    > > But, I would like to ask whether I can setup a virtual directory

    inside
    > > the websphere (or the web war). Let's say a directory
    > > "webImages" (which points to the apache images files:
    > > http://localhost:8800/images/) under the deployed war application, so

    that
    > > the jsp file can retrieve the images by tag like > > src="/webImages/a.gif"/>.
    > >
    > > Is it possible to do so?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance!

  4. Re: Is it possible to virtual directory in websphere?

    On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 01:25:22 +0800, "aa" wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    > I would like to ask any reference document to set up a virtual directory
    >in websphere. My scenario is:
    >
    > - A websphere express 5 with default host: http://localhost:7080/
    > - A web war deployed on the websphere express 5 which can be access by
    >the url: http://localhost:7080/webapplication
    > - A apache (2.0) web server running on the same machine which contains a
    >directory of images files. The url to access those
    > images: http://localhost:8800/images/
    >
    > User would issue request to the websphere express 5 directly. The web
    >application contains servlet which would accept
    > the request and generate jsp as response. The jsp contains tag which
    >would retrieve images from the apache server.
    > The tag references the image by using code like this >src="http://localhost:8800/images/a.gif"/>.
    >
    > But, I would like to ask whether I can setup a virtual directory inside
    >the websphere (or the web war). Let's say a directory
    > "webImages" (which points to the apache images files:
    >http://localhost:8800/images/) under the deployed war application, so that
    > the jsp file can retrieve the images by tag like >src="/webImages/a.gif"/>.
    >
    > Is it possible to do so?

    Sure there is no problem in that but you need to go through IBM HTTP
    Server.

    You just set up the /images/ link in IBM HTTP Server, and have the
    /webapplication path forwarded to WebSphere through the plugin..

    WebSphere is not designed to replace all of the functions of a Web
    Server.

  5. Re: Is it possible to virtual directory in websphere?

    Make both webserver and Appserver to use same vdir, ie., if the webmodule
    context root is /context1, create a vdir in webserver as /context1. Make
    sure that you disable "File Servlet" in the module, this will partition the
    URL space into active and leaves out static content. When this gets into the
    plugin file, webserver will take over serving the rest of the URLs
    automatically that are not declared/owned by the WebContainer.

    Simply put, if you want to keep file serving enabled in your web module, it
    becomes really difficult to get webserver handle part of the content..

    HTH
    Dexthor.

    "Heaven Keeper" wrote in message
    > Thanks for your reply.
    >
    > But I would like to ask is there any alternatives besides using symbolic
    > link.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > "Sunit Patke" wrote in message
    >> In Unix you can use symbolic link using ln -s command.
    >>
    >> Sunit
    >>
    >> "aa" wrote in message
    >> > Hi all,
    >> >
    >> > I would like to ask any reference document to set up a virtual
    >> > directory
    >> > in websphere. My scenario is:
    >> >
    >> > - A websphere express 5 with default host: http://localhost:7080/
    >> > - A web war deployed on the websphere express 5 which can be access

    > by
    >> > the url: http://localhost:7080/webapplication
    >> > - A apache (2.0) web server running on the same machine which

    > contains
    >> > directory of images files. The url to access those
    >> > images: http://localhost:8800/images/
    >> >
    >> > User would issue request to the websphere express 5 directly. The
    >> > web
    >> > application contains servlet which would accept
    >> > the request and generate jsp as response. The jsp contains tag which
    >> > would retrieve images from the apache server.
    >> > The tag references the image by using code like this >> > src="http://localhost:8800/images/a.gif"/>.
    >> >
    >> > But, I would like to ask whether I can setup a virtual directory

    > inside
    >> > the websphere (or the web war). Let's say a directory
    >> > "webImages" (which points to the apache images files:
    >> > http://localhost:8800/images/) under the deployed war application, so

    > that
    >> > the jsp file can retrieve the images by tag like >> > src="/webImages/a.gif"/>.
    >> >
    >> > Is it possible to do so?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks in advance!

+ Reply to Thread