appserver running is very slow............. - Websphere

This is a discussion on appserver running is very slow............. - Websphere ; I have deployed a WAR application in WebSphere 6.0 (Express) on V5R3 iSeries Server. Our Application is opening very slow while our 70 users are concurrently accessing our application over the Internet. I'd assume that user are encountering problem due ...

  1. appserver running is very slow.............

    I have deployed a WAR application in WebSphere 6.0 (Express) on V5R3
    iSeries Server.

    Our Application is opening very slow while our 70 users are
    concurrently accessing our application over the Internet. I'd assume
    that user are encountering problem due to web application is opening
    very slow.

    Please give me any suggestion about how to improve our websphere app
    server performance?

    Can anyone please send me any articles or tutorials on WebSphere
    Administration or Performance level?

    Regards,
    uday

  2. Re: appserver running is very slow.............

    Uday,
    Lots of things could be having an impact here. Can you give us a little
    more information?

    What AS/400 are you running on? What other workloads also run on that
    AS/400.

    Is WAS allocated its own memory pool? How big is that pool?

    Are you using JDBC? If so, are you using the Toolbox driver or the
    Native driver? And are you using a DataSource? And are you using
    Prepared Statments?

    There is WebSphere performance information here:
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...v6r0/index.jsp

    Walker.

  3. Re: appserver running is very slow.............

    We are using iSeries V5R3 and installed WebSphere 6.0 Express Edition
    also configured datasource using JDBC Toolbox driver V8 to connect to
    remote iSeries DB.

    Yes. We are using Prepared Statements.

    The same web application is deployed on Windows Server and it is
    working very fine.

    I have monitored hit ratio using WKSSYSSTS, WRKDSKSTS, WRKACTJOB and
    coudn't find any CPU utilization and ASP utilization but non-db faults
    is quite bit large.

    We are using default memory pool for websphere server.

    Can you guide me anything tuning parameters is required to set on
    iSeries to improve performance? Also any parameters need to be setup on
    WebSphere Configuration?

    Regards
    Uday

  4. Re: appserver running is very slow.............

    The first two things I would do are:
    1) Isolate WebSphere in its own fixed-size memory pool (I don't know
    what the default pool is for 6.0, but for 5.0 it runs in *BASE by
    default, which is hopeless from a performance point of view). This is
    crucial. The exact size of this pool will depend on your application,
    but 1Gb would be a good place to start (you may need to allocate more).

    2) Use the Native JDBC driver. If WebSphere is running on an AS/400 and
    talking to an AS/400 database you can use the native driver (even if
    WebSphere and the database are on different AS/400s). You should only
    use the Toolbox driver when WebSphere is not running on an AS/400, but
    talking to an AS/400 database.

    There are other steps you can take, but it is difficult to offer more
    advice without answers to the other questions in my first post: What
    model and processor AS/400 are you running on? (e.g. Model 820,
    Processor 2395) What other workloads also run on that AS/400?

    Have you looked at this website?:
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...c400/index.jsp

    Walker.

  5. Re: appserver running is very slow.............

    iSeries Model i520 and having 2GB Memory and 1000CPW.

    Actually IBM has recommended to use IBM Toolbox Driver. We have taken
    PMR support from IBM during datasource configuration and we coudn't get
    any connection error in log using above driver also transaction is
    working fine.

    WRKDSKSTS is also showing 35% disk utilization. I guess this would be
    fine.

    I have checked that CPU utilization is not more. But there are non-db
    page faults available. We are using *BASE pool for WAS.

    Pool Memory Max Act Non-db Pages
    faults
    *MACHINE 180 91 .1 1
    *BASE 2200 200 24 124
    *QINTER 550 70 3 5

    Websphere process using 64% Thread and total number of thread is 180.

    I tried to increase MAx Act levels and also *BASE Memory pool but still
    page faults is not decreasing.

    Can you please guide me about iseries performance issues.

    I tried to monitor using wrksyssts, wrkactjob, wrkdsksts but coudn't
    improve the peroformance.

    I guess it running very slow due to using maximum thread on iseries.
    Can you please guide me about threading configuration on iseries? Where
    we can set the maximum/minimum threads?

    Thanks for considering my request.
    Uday

    walker.l2 wrote:
    > The first two things I would do are:
    > 1) Isolate WebSphere in its own fixed-size memory pool (I don't know
    > what the default pool is for 6.0, but for 5.0 it runs in *BASE by
    > default, which is hopeless from a performance point of view). This is
    > crucial. The exact size of this pool will depend on your application,
    > but 1Gb would be a good place to start (you may need to allocate more).
    >
    > 2) Use the Native JDBC driver. If WebSphere is running on an AS/400 and
    > talking to an AS/400 database you can use the native driver (even if
    > WebSphere and the database are on different AS/400s). You should only
    > use the Toolbox driver when WebSphere is not running on an AS/400, but
    > talking to an AS/400 database.
    >
    > There are other steps you can take, but it is difficult to offer more
    > advice without answers to the other questions in my first post: What
    > model and processor AS/400 are you running on? (e.g. Model 820,
    > Processor 2395) What other workloads also run on that AS/400?
    >
    > Have you looked at this website?:
    > http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...c400/index.jsp
    >
    > Walker.

  6. Re: appserver running is very slow.............

    Hi

    iSeries Model : i520
    We have created 2 LPAR on above i520 model.

    1st LPAR - HTTP and WebSphere Express 6.0 on OS/400 installed.
    300 CPW, 1.5 GB RAM

    2nd LPAR - DB2/400 on OS/400 installed.
    700 CPW, 3.5 GB RAM

    We have deployed web applications in WebSphere on iSeries.
    The Web Site is running just below acceptable speed now after I did
    below mentioned Performance Tuning.

    I have done tuning on AS/400 with respective to the subsystems and as
    well for the WAS Specific.

    1. I have already done some Performance tuning on iSeries using
    following parameters

    Increased the *BASE Memory pool (Default memory pool size was 1850 and
    now I have set it to 2700)

    Increased *Base Pool Thread Activity level (Default was 140 and now I
    have set it to 200)

    When I raised to above 200 the website is slow.

    I have SET *NOMAX for QMAXACTLVL (Maximum activity level of systems)

    Set Java Running Thread Priority (Default was 20 and now I have set it
    to 65)

    Please guide me any other settings is required to improve Performance?

    2. Tuning Parameters set for a WebSphere and also for the Java
    Environment

    JAVA Virtual Machine Heap Size - Initial Heap Size 256 MB and Maximum
    *NO Max (0)
    Servlet Engine thread pool size - 70
    Data Source Connection Pool - Min 40 and Max 65 Connections
    Web Container Thread Settings - Min 50 and Max 60 Connections

    By setting the above parameters the performance has improved to some
    extent.
    I would like you to review this information and please guide me about
    how to use Tivoli Performance Viewer to monitor thread/connections/JVM
    and any other parameters require during concurrent users accessing web
    site.

    Hope above information will help you to guide me on right track.

    Thank you.
    uday

    uskulkarni wrote:
    > iSeries Model i520 and having 2GB Memory and 1000CPW.
    >
    > Actually IBM has recommended to use IBM Toolbox Driver. We have taken
    > PMR support from IBM during datasource configuration and we coudn't get
    > any connection error in log using above driver also transaction is
    > working fine.
    >
    > WRKDSKSTS is also showing 35% disk utilization. I guess this would be
    > fine.
    >
    > I have checked that CPU utilization is not more. But there are non-db
    > page faults available. We are using *BASE pool for WAS.
    >
    > Pool Memory Max Act Non-db Pages
    > faults
    > *MACHINE 180 91 .1 1
    > *BASE 2200 200 24 124
    > *QINTER 550 70 3 5
    >
    > Websphere process using 64% Thread and total number of thread is 180.
    >
    > I tried to increase MAx Act levels and also *BASE Memory pool but still
    > page faults is not decreasing.
    >
    > Can you please guide me about iseries performance issues.
    >
    > I tried to monitor using wrksyssts, wrkactjob, wrkdsksts but coudn't
    > improve the peroformance.
    >
    > I guess it running very slow due to using maximum thread on iseries.
    > Can you please guide me about threading configuration on iseries? Where
    > we can set the maximum/minimum threads?
    >
    > Thanks for considering my request.
    > Uday
    >

    > walker.l2 wrote:
    > > The first two things I would do are:
    > > 1) Isolate WebSphere in its own fixed-size memory pool (I don't know
    > > what the default pool is for 6.0, but for 5.0 it runs in *BASE by
    > > default, which is hopeless from a performance point of view). This is
    > > crucial. The exact size of this pool will depend on your application,
    > > but 1Gb would be a good place to start (you may need to allocate more).
    > >
    > > 2) Use the Native JDBC driver. If WebSphere is running on an AS/400 and
    > > talking to an AS/400 database you can use the native driver (even if
    > > WebSphere and the database are on different AS/400s). You should only
    > > use the Toolbox driver when WebSphere is not running on an AS/400, but
    > > talking to an AS/400 database.
    > >
    > > There are other steps you can take, but it is difficult to offer more
    > > advice without answers to the other questions in my first post: What
    > > model and processor AS/400 are you running on? (e.g. Model 820,
    > > Processor 2395) What other workloads also run on that AS/400?
    > >
    > > Have you looked at this website?:
    > > http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...c400/index.jsp
    > >
    > > Walker.

  7. Re: appserver running is very slow.............

    Uday,
    Another website you might want to take a look at it is
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...ex.jsp?lang=en
    specifically you might be interested in the performance section.

    Now to come to your specific points:

    Your disk activity seems to be at a reasonable level. But I wonder how
    much % of your disk space is still free on the AS400?

    I must admit I'm very surprised IBM have advised you to use the Toolbox
    driver, I've always found the Native driver to have much better
    performance, but maybe there is some issue with WAS Express 6.0 under
    v5r3 that means it can't be used.

    I'm puzzled by the memory figures you quote: first you said that you
    had 2G, but the WRKSYSSTS figures show nearer 3G; then in your
    partitioned setup you have 5G allocated, but you say you have increased
    *BASE from 1.8G to 2.7G when you have only allocated 1.5G to that
    partition. How mcuh physical RAM do you have? And are you allowing the
    memory to be automatically moved between partitions?

    You really shouldn't run WAS in *BASE, but in its own memory pool
    instead. By partitioning the 400, you appear to have achieved the same
    effect (isolating WAS memory use from any other memory use).

    Page faulting occurs when data has to be fetched from disk rather than
    RAM, therefore you will always see some when your application starts
    (because obviously the AS400 hasn't had a chance to load it into memory
    yet). The Max Act level only has an indirect impact on page faulting.
    The amount of memory allocated can have an impact - if there is not
    enough RAM for your application the disk will be used instead (not good
    for WAS performance).

    In your LPAR setup, I would add at least another 100CPW to the WAS
    partition, 300 CPW is a little on the low side; or are you allowing the
    CPWs to be moved between partitions automatically?.

    Changing the Java thread priority from 20 to 65 has made those jobs a
    lower priority. Is this what you wanted to do? (It might be, if your
    performance problems were due to slow HTTP running rather than slow WAS
    running.)

    As far as the WAS parameters go, I really can't say whether they are
    the best for you because I don't know your application. However, they
    are not unreasonable settings, so probably aren't causing you any
    problems. What is your PreparedStatement cache size though?

    I haven't used the Tivoli stuff much, and we run WAS 5.0 Base, so I
    suspect what I have done will not really be relevant to your setup.
    Have you got the Runtime Perfomance Advisor switched on? It should give
    guidance in the System.out file if things are not set up well.

    What level of logging do you have set for the IBM Service Logs? I think
    by default it is set to Log All, if you change this to Log Warnings &
    Errors, or to Log Errors, you should see a performance improvement.

    How long do you leave the WAS servers running on the AS400 before
    stopping and restarting them? In WAS 5.0 by default the JIT compiler
    won't kick in until a method has been called 2000 times, up until that
    point they are interpreted (this threshold is adjusted by a JVM
    property ). So if you are cycling your WAS servers every day, you might
    find that you are always running interpreted code; but if you leave
    your WAS servers up for weeks on end, you should find that the
    performance gradually improves as more and more methods get compiled.

    Walker.

  8. Re: appserver running is very slow.............

    Hi

    I have got the exact details about iSeries configuration.

    iSeries Model : i520. We have created 2 LPAR on above i520 model.

    1st LPAR - HTTP and WebSphere Express 6.0 on OS/400 installed. 500
    CPW, 3 GB RAM
    2nd LPAR - DB2/400 on OS/400 installed. 500 CPW, 3 GB RAM

    I have revert back to Java Thread Priority from 65 to 20.

    #### As far as the WAS parameters go, I really can't say whether they
    are the best for you because I don't know your application. However,
    they are not unreasonable settings, so probably aren't causing you any
    problems.

    ----- Our application is mainly using for online billing (ebpp). User
    can view online bill (pdf) and pay the bill online. database write/read
    activity is randomly. Can you please give me your inputs on WAS
    parameters, atleast I can experiment and let u know best feedback. I
    hope it will benefit for our application also.

    #### What is your PreparedStatement cache size though?
    - PreparedStatement cache size tis 10.

    I have enabled Runtime Perfomance Advisor using websphere admin
    console. I will look into systemout.log during peak hours.

    We have stoping and restarting WAS Server at many times during testing
    the application and Since last 3 weeks appserver is not stop.

    Thanks

    uday

  9. Re: appserver running is very slow.............

    Uday,
    Your PreparedStatement cache size seems small. If you have more than 10
    SQL statements in your application, you should increase the cache size.
    IBM recommend that you don't make the cache bigger than 1,000 though.

    Walker.

+ Reply to Thread