JAVA vs .NET - Websphere

This is a discussion on JAVA vs .NET - Websphere ; Hello ALL, I do some java developement for my company. We have 4 iSeries boxes, all v5r2. We are in manufacturing sector. Presently Accounting, order entry, production, shipping, ALL runs in iSeries. But, management decided to use ..NET (C#) for ...

  1. JAVA vs .NET

    Hello ALL,

    I do some java developement for my company. We have 4 iSeries boxes, all
    v5r2. We are in manufacturing sector. Presently Accounting, order entry,
    production, shipping, ALL runs in iSeries. But, management decided to use
    ..NET (C#) for Order Entry system and the developement is going on. Now,
    Production department wants to develope some gui screens for data entry
    which will populate into db2/400, sql server DB, access DB....etc. They also
    wants to get reports from different DBs.

    I always talk to my bosses about iSeries java environment, WAS, WDSc & its
    advantages & trying to convince them to use iSeries. But, our IT director
    likes Microsoft & wants to use .NET (C#). I'm not a full fledged java
    developer & don't know much about .NET either to talk to them about pros &
    cons about both systems.

    Can you HELP me understand the advantages that java has, which .net can't
    do.

    Waiting for your help.

    Thanks in Advance.

  2. Re: JAVA vs .NET

    IMHO, there is not a huge amount of difference between them, and one is
    certainly not better than the other in all circumstances.

    What Java does give you that .NET doesn't is cross-platform capability
    - Java runs on lots of OSes, .NET only runs Microsoft OSes (I know
    there's the Mono project trying to get .NET up and running on Linux,
    but I don't think that's mature enough to be used in a commercial
    production environment). But if you don't intend to change your
    hardware / OS, this is of little interest.
    Also, the JDBC driver for the DB2/400 is likely (I haven't checked
    recently) to support a lot more features than the .NET driver for
    DB2/400. But if your SQL is simple, again this shouldn't have much
    impact on your decision.

    What .NET gives you that Java doesn't is the ability to write different
    modules in different languages, and have them play nicely together
    (like ILE on the AS/400). In particular this is useful when you need to
    quickly knock up a GUI (you can use VB.NET) and attach it to the main
    business logic (written in C#).

    If you want a thin client GUI, Java can work well (use JSPs to build a
    web interface accessed with a browser); but if you want a richer front
    end, I'd say .NET is a better choice than Java on the client PC.

    C# is not a million miles away from Java. If you can work in one
    language you should be able to switch to the other without too many
    problems.

    If there is an argument to be fought in this development, I don't think
    it is .NET versus Java, but about the DBs used - I'd advise using
    DB2/400 instead of SQL Server and Access, not alongside them. (But this
    may not be an option for you if SQL Server and Access DBs are already
    in place...)

  3. Re: JAVA vs .NET

    I think that the main difference is that
    you can deploy Java application on
    platforms different from Windows (iSeries for example).
    So your customer don't have to buy a different server if
    he has an iSeries.

    On the other hand developing with Visual Studio .Net is more
    easy if you think at ASP.NET. If you are thinking about a
    Windows application (Windows Forms)
    the differece, talking about time developing, is higher.

    "Saci" wrote in message
    > Hello ALL,
    >
    > I do some java developement for my company. We have 4 iSeries boxes, all
    > v5r2. We are in manufacturing sector. Presently Accounting, order entry,
    > production, shipping, ALL runs in iSeries. But, management decided to use
    > .NET (C#) for Order Entry system and the developement is going on. Now,
    > Production department wants to develope some gui screens for data entry
    > which will populate into db2/400, sql server DB, access DB....etc. They

    also
    > wants to get reports from different DBs.
    >
    > I always talk to my bosses about iSeries java environment, WAS, WDSc & its
    > advantages & trying to convince them to use iSeries. But, our IT director
    > likes Microsoft & wants to use .NET (C#). I'm not a full fledged java
    > developer & don't know much about .NET either to talk to them about pros &
    > cons about both systems.
    >
    > Can you HELP me understand the advantages that java has, which .net can't
    > do.
    >
    > Waiting for your help.
    >
    > Thanks in Advance.

+ Reply to Thread