WebSphere V6 on iSeries - Websphere

This is a discussion on WebSphere V6 on iSeries - Websphere ; Considering an WAS upgrade on iSeries from V4 to V5.1 or from V4 straight to V6. V5.1 is our preference owing to its comparative age and, by extension, maturity. I'd be very grateful for any anecdotal tales of your experiences ...

  1. WebSphere V6 on iSeries

    Considering an WAS upgrade on iSeries from V4 to V5.1 or from V4
    straight to V6.

    V5.1 is our preference owing to its comparative age and, by extension,
    maturity.

    I'd be very grateful for any anecdotal tales of your experiences of V6
    from the perspective of stability (uptime, HIPERs), ease of transition
    (migration tools, deprecated Java classes and admin scripts, new naming
    conventions), integration with Domino LTPA (SSO) and comparative
    maintenance overhead.

    Thanking you in advance for any contribution you can make!
    Bob

  2. Re: WebSphere V6 on iSeries

    Bob,
    I've no personal experience of V6 as yet. But, we upgraded from 3.5
    direct to 5.0 almost as soon as it came out. If history repeats itself
    you would do well steer clear of V6 for now - we weren't really happy
    with 5.0 until 5.0.2.6 The bugs in 5.0 didn't help when we were trying
    to solve application issues resulting from the upgrade (JVM and J2EE
    changes).

    Walker.

    Bob Admin wrote:
    > Considering an WAS upgrade on iSeries from V4 to V5.1 or from V4
    > straight to V6.
    >
    > V5.1 is our preference owing to its comparative age and, by extension,
    > maturity.
    >
    > I'd be very grateful for any anecdotal tales of your experiences of V6
    > from the perspective of stability (uptime, HIPERs), ease of transition
    > (migration tools, deprecated Java classes and admin scripts, new naming
    > conventions), integration with Domino LTPA (SSO) and comparative
    > maintenance overhead.
    >
    > Thanking you in advance for any contribution you can make!
    > Bob

  3. Re: WebSphere V6 on iSeries

    Thanks Walker
    I see that WAS V6 is about 6 months old now with 2 REFRESH packs since
    GA. V6.0.2 has 115 items listed at:

    http://www-1.ibm.com/support/search....P&q=v602rnotes

    In contrast, WAS V5.1 is about 18 months old now with 2 CUMULATIVE
    fixes since GA.

    Our inclination is to stay off the "bleeding edge" for now, and to
    accept the additional costs (train, plan, develop, QA, implement)
    associated with two upgrades compared with one big upgrade. Qualitative
    risk analysis is a tricky beast!

    Thanks again for your input.
    Bob

+ Reply to Thread