When to run apps in separate instances - Websphere

This is a discussion on When to run apps in separate instances - Websphere ; I'm migrating some webapplications that are deployed in a single WAS 5.0 instance in Windows2000 to iSeries, and considering to create separate instances for each application. What are the pro's and con's of running multiple instances? We use a dedicated ...

  1. When to run apps in separate instances

    I'm migrating some webapplications that are deployed in a single WAS
    5.0 instance in Windows2000 to iSeries, and considering to create
    separate instances for each application. What are the pro's and con's
    of running multiple instances? We use a dedicated partition for WAS,
    on OS/400 V5R2
    Thanks in advance

  2. Re: When to run apps in separate instances

    My company also implements WebSphere Application Server on iSeries and
    intel. I have learned the following differences which helped our
    decision:

    - On intel, the java virtual machine runs as another application on
    the system. On the iSeries, the JVM is located in the microcode (LIC)
    for better performance.
    - Each Application Server on iSeries contains its own JVM. So
    splitting the apps may improve performance based upon the application
    workload.

    When choosing between one AppSvr with three applications against three
    AppSvrs with one application each, we chose three AppSvrs for better
    control and administration.

  3. Re: When to run apps in separate instances

    Thanks John for your comments!

    jsnyder@genelco.com (John Snyder) wrote in message news:<107beeb3.0407262004.5d319f2a@posting.google.com>...
    > My company also implements WebSphere Application Server on iSeries and
    > intel. I have learned the following differences which helped our
    > decision:
    >
    > - On intel, the java virtual machine runs as another application on
    > the system. On the iSeries, the JVM is located in the microcode (LIC)
    > for better performance.
    > - Each Application Server on iSeries contains its own JVM. So
    > splitting the apps may improve performance based upon the application
    > workload.
    >
    > When choosing between one AppSvr with three applications against three
    > AppSvrs with one application each, we chose three AppSvrs for better
    > control and administration.

+ Reply to Thread