Problem with plugin config. for WS5.0.2 and WS4.x - Websphere

This is a discussion on Problem with plugin config. for WS5.0.2 and WS4.x - Websphere ; I have an existing production application that has both the app server (4.0.5) and web server (apache) on different iSeries machines. The web server is old in terms of release SF99156-09 June 27, 2002 I am trying to add another ...

  1. Problem with plugin config. for WS5.0.2 and WS4.x

    I have an existing production application that has both the app server
    (4.0.5) and web server (apache) on different iSeries machines.

    The web server is old in terms of release SF99156-09 June 27, 2002

    I am trying to add another app server WS5.0.2 and trying to use the same web
    server with both the app servers.
    I updated the existing plugin-cfg.xml with entries for WS5.0.2 but they are
    based on the old schema definition since the file was originated in 4.0.x
    release.

    When i try to reference resources (jsp, servlet) on WS5.x the native.log
    file for the plugin gives the following error
    ERROR: ws_common: websphereGetStream: Failed to connect to app server, OS
    err=3447

    I can access them directly by going to the app server (with internal http
    server) but get an error HTTP code 500 when using the seperate web server.

    BTW, i tried similar thing on Windows 2000 platform (all app and web servers
    on windows) and did not seem to have any trouble.

    Am i missing something (PTFs) on the web server?

    thanks for your help.

    - gaurang

  2. Re: Problem with plugin config. for WS5.0.2 and WS4.x

    Hi,
    The err 3447 indicates (in socket speak) ETIMEDOUT, which means that the plugin
    side of the socket sees someone has bound to the socket on the other end, but no
    one is actually listening. This typically can happen if your application server
    is under a heavy load and as a result no threads are listening on the socket
    because they're busy doing other work. I'm guessing that is not your problem,
    since you can access pages by going directly to the internal HTTP server in your
    5.0 application server and you didn't specifcally mention a load. I have been
    able to get this to work with a 4.0.5 plugin (IBM HTTP Server powered by Apache)
    on one V5R1 iSeries machine and 5.0.2 Application Server on a V5R2 machine, so I
    would think that most likely you should be able to get this to work as well. My
    HTTP server is at group level 16, so you are considerably behind. However, I
    would not expect this to have an effect since the plugin piece doing the
    actually connection is in WebSphere code (you and I should be close to the same
    in that respect since we're both at 4.0.5).

    At any rate, if I were you, I would:
    1) double-check your plugin-cfg.xml file to make absolutely sure you have the
    correct transport port and server specified for the 5.0 server (should be the
    port of your WAS 5.0 internal HTTP server).
    2) ensure there aren't any firewalls or NAT between the machines that could be
    blocking or confusing the connection.

    If that still doesn't work, please email me your plugin-cfg.xml and a plugin
    trace (open plugin-cfg.xml file and change LogLevel to "Trace".. wait a minute,
    or restart http server) during the failure, and we'll see if we can't come up
    with some ideas.

    Also, please note that this is not a supported configuration.

    -Byron
    baileybl@us.ibm.com

    Thanks,

    Gaurang Shah wrote:

    > I have an existing production application that has both the app server
    > (4.0.5) and web server (apache) on different iSeries machines.
    >
    > The web server is old in terms of release SF99156-09 June 27, 2002
    >
    > I am trying to add another app server WS5.0.2 and trying to use the same web
    > server with both the app servers.
    > I updated the existing plugin-cfg.xml with entries for WS5.0.2 but they are
    > based on the old schema definition since the file was originated in 4.0.x
    > release.
    >
    > When i try to reference resources (jsp, servlet) on WS5.x the native.log
    > file for the plugin gives the following error
    > ERROR: ws_common: websphereGetStream: Failed to connect to app server, OS
    > err=3447
    >
    > I can access them directly by going to the app server (with internal http
    > server) but get an error HTTP code 500 when using the seperate web server.
    >
    > BTW, i tried similar thing on Windows 2000 platform (all app and web servers
    > on windows) and did not seem to have any trouble.
    >
    > Am i missing something (PTFs) on the web server?
    >
    > thanks for your help.
    >
    > - gaurang

  3. Re: Problem with plugin config. for WS5.0.2 and WS4.x

    I forgot to check the firewall and after opening the appropriate ports I got
    it to work.
    Thanks for your help.

    - gaurang
    "Byron Bailey" wrote in message
> [...]

    are
    > > based on the old schema definition since the file was originated in

    4.0.x
    > > release.
    > >
    > > When i try to reference resources (jsp, servlet) on WS5.x the native.log
    > > file for the plugin gives the following error
    > > ERROR: ws_common: websphereGetStream: Failed to connect to app server,

    OS
    > > err=3447
    > >
    > > I can access them directly by going to the app server (with internal

    http
    > > server) but get an error HTTP code 500 when using the seperate web

    server.

    > > BTW, i tried similar thing on Windows 2000 platform (all app and web

    servers
    > > on windows) and did not seem to have any trouble.
    > >
    > > Am i missing something (PTFs) on the web server?

  4. Re: Problem with plugin config. for WS5.0.2 and WS4.x

    hey ,

    I'm the similar issues ...can you let me know what are the things on the firewall side that need to edited to make sure that the webserver talk to app via those ports

    and the one more thing what are the other ports that need's to be opened in firewall for the connectivity ........ie All the ports listed in the plugin.xml ?????

    It would be of great help

    Thanks in advance !

+ Reply to Thread