WebSphere 5.1.1 ConfigService Administrative class X APAR #PK31314 - Websphere

This is a discussion on WebSphere 5.1.1 ConfigService Administrative class X APAR #PK31314 - Websphere ; Hi We need to get the location of the standard log directory for our server within a WAS application. We prefer not to use custom WAS environment variables or configuration file fields, because the application is hosted in the production ...

  1. WebSphere 5.1.1 ConfigService Administrative class X APAR #PK31314

    Hi

    We need to get the location of the standard log directory for our server within a WAS application. We prefer not to use custom WAS environment variables or configuration file fields, because the application is hosted in the production environment by an external team and this could add a new variable in production problem determination.

    We tried to use the ConfigService WAS Administrative class for getting the value of $LOG_ROOT; however, the ConfigService.getConfigService() API has a known bug that causes a null object to be returned instead of (please see more details at http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview...id=swg1PK31314).

    The Cumulative Fix 13 for WebSphere Application Server V5.1.1 was applied to our development AIX environment in order to fix this bug (APAR #PK31314). Then we called the API again and got exactly the same null object.

    Are you guys aware of any other dependency or working around for solving this known bug in the WAS administrative classes ? Is there anything that could prevent this class to work properly other than APAR #PK31314 ?

    Any advice in this matter will be appreciated,
    Marcelo Ito

  2. Re: WebSphere 5.1.1 ConfigService Administrative class X APAR #PK31314

    > We need to get the location of the standard log directory for our server within a WAS application.

    Why? Perhaps there is a better way to solve your problem.

  3. Re: WebSphere 5.1.1 ConfigService Administrative class X APAR #PK31314

    Hi Marcelo,

    You may need to use the following to get hold of the config service if
    not running on a standalone server:

    ConfigService configService = ConfigServiceFactory.getConfigService();
    if (configService == null)
    {
    Properties p = new Properties();
    p.setProperty("location", "local");
    configService = ConfigServiceFactory.createConfigService(true, p);
    }

    Hope that helps,

    Mark.

    mito@br.ibm.com wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > We need to get the location of the standard log directory for our server within a WAS application. We prefer not to use custom WAS environment variables or configuration file fields, because the application is hosted in the production environment by an external team and this could add a new variable in production problem determination.
    >
    > We tried to use the ConfigService WAS Administrative class for getting the value of $LOG_ROOT; however, the ConfigService.getConfigService() API has a known bug that causes a null object to be returned instead of (please see more details at http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview...id=swg1PK31314).
    >
    > The Cumulative Fix 13 for WebSphere Application Server V5.1.1 was applied to our development AIX environment in order to fix this bug (APAR #PK31314). Then we called the API again and got exactly the same null object.
    >
    > Are you guys aware of any other dependency or working around for solving this known bug in the WAS administrative classes ? Is there anything that could prevent this class to work properly other than APAR #PK31314 ?
    >
    > Any advice in this matter will be appreciated,
    > Marcelo Ito

  4. Re: WebSphere 5.1.1 ConfigService Administrative class X APAR#PK31314

    Thank you so much Mark

    Your code snippet worked just perfectly. I am not getting a null ConfigService object anymore.

    Best regards,
    Marcelo

+ Reply to Thread