Session Management - Controlling Number of Sessions per App Server - Websphere

This is a discussion on Session Management - Controlling Number of Sessions per App Server - Websphere ; Hello All, Does Session Management in WAS allow us to control the number of sessions per application server?. I found a parameter in Application servers > server_name > Session management > Maximum in-memory session count. This value is set to ...

  1. Session Management - Controlling Number of Sessions per App Server

    Hello All,

    Does Session Management in WAS allow us to control the number of sessions per application server?. I found a parameter in Application servers > server_name > Session management > Maximum in-memory session count. This value is set to 1000 by default. If I tweak this number inside WAS, what will happen to the following parameters in the IHS?

    MaxClients 600

    The MaxClients on IHS is set to 600, while WAS is allowing 1000 connections. Does this seem right?

    Are there any suggested recommendations or Best Practices for tuning?.

    Thanks All!.

  2. Re: Session Management - Controlling Number of Sessions per App Server

    amulya.green@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Hello All,
    >
    > Does Session Management in WAS allow us to control the number of
    > sessions per application server?. I found a parameter in Application
    > servers > server_name > Session management > Maximum in-memory
    > session count. This value is set to 1000 by default. If I tweak this
    > number inside WAS, what will happen to the following parameters in
    > the IHS?
    >
    > MaxClients 600
    >
    > The MaxClients on IHS is set to 600, while WAS is allowing 1000
    > connections. Does this seem right?

    Yes. The IHS number is simultaneous clients connecting, while the WAS
    number is total distinct sessions saved in memory. in other words,
    there's basically no relation between them at all.

    > Are there any suggested recommendations or Best Practices for
    > tuning?.

    Do it early and often, and do it under production like stress, in a
    production like environment.

  3. Re: Session Management - Controlling Number of Sessions per App Server

    amulya.green@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Hello All,
    >
    > Does Session Management in WAS allow us to control the number of sessions per application server?. I found a parameter in Application servers > server_name > Session management > Maximum in-memory session count. This value is set to 1000 by default. If I tweak this number inside WAS, what will happen to the following parameters in the IHS?
    >
    > MaxClients 600
    >
    > The MaxClients on IHS is set to 600, while WAS is allowing 1000 connections. Does this seem right?
    >
    > Are there any suggested recommendations or Best Practices for tuning?.
    >
    > Thanks All!.

    Performance Analysis for Java Web Sites by Stacy Joines et al is a great
    book for tuning.

    Ken

+ Reply to Thread