Do older Websphere versions need IHS to run an applications? - Websphere

This is a discussion on Do older Websphere versions need IHS to run an applications? - Websphere ; Hi, I'm a newbie with Websphere application server and I was recently assigned to manage an older version of WAS which is 3.0.2. On the same machine I also have IBM HTTP Server 1.3.6 named "myserver". Were the older WAS ...

  1. Do older Websphere versions need IHS to run an applications?

    Hi,

    I'm a newbie with Websphere application server and I was recently assigned to manage an older version of WAS which is 3.0.2. On the same machine I also have IBM HTTP Server 1.3.6 named "myserver". Were the older WAS versions bundled with IHS and needs to be configured with one? I'm asking this because even though I have WAS running, if IHS is down I couldn't access "http://myserver". Also, with this version, is it possible to run websphere alone to serve up a web application? I'm also not sure if maybe WAS is also named "myserver" in this setup.

  2. Re: Do older Websphere versions need IHS to run an applications?

    a_m_angeles@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm a newbie with Websphere application server and I was recently assigned to manage an older version of WAS which is 3.0.2. On the same machine I also have IBM HTTP Server 1.3.6 named "myserver". Were the older WAS versions bundled with IHS and needs to be configured with one? I'm asking this because even though I have WAS running, if IHS is down I couldn't access "http://myserver". Also, with this version, is it possible to run websphere alone to serve up a web application? I'm also not sure if maybe WAS is also named "myserver" in this setup.

    WAS 3.0.2 went out of service years ago, fyi.

    All versions of WAS - at least since 2.0.3 - have been bundled with IHS.
    Using IHS is, for most applications, a best practice, for a variety of
    reasons.

    FYI, IHS servers do not have 'names'. Nor did WAS servers in that
    version, as I recall. Machines have TCP/IP names, and that's what
    'myserver' is. Your configuration appears to have IHS listening on port
    80 (the default port for HTTP), which then forwards (some) requests to
    WAS. This is why when you take IHS down, nothing responds to
    'http://myserver'. It is possible to run the application server (WAS)
    alone, but you'll have to know more about the current configuration. One
    common topology is to have IHS server static content (.html, image
    files, etc.) and WAS serve dynamic content from servlets and JSP's.
    Having WAS serve the static content could cause performance problems in
    your setup that would be difficult to diagnose, and you couldn't get
    help from IBM.

    My $.02's worth: don't mess with the configuration unless you understand
    it very well.

    Ken

  3. Re: Do older Websphere versions need IHS to run an applications?

    Thanks for your answer Ken. I should have clarified that I meant "myserver" as the servername defined in the IHS httpd.conf file. If let's say I remove IHS in this setup, would WAS then be the one listening to port 80 and I would be able to bring up the application by "http://myserver"? (given that I have "myserver" configured in WAS). Thanks.

  4. Re: Do older Websphere versions need IHS to run an applications?

    a_m_angeles@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Thanks for your answer Ken. I should have clarified that I meant "myserver" as the servername defined in the IHS httpd.conf file. If let's say I remove IHS in this setup, would WAS then be the one listening to port 80 and I would be able to bring up the application by "http://myserver"? (given that I have "myserver" configured in WAS). Thanks.

    At the moment, WAS is not configured to listen to port 80, so you would
    have change its configuration.

    I'm getting strong hints that you're not that experienced with web
    servers in general, welcome to the club. You might want to check out
    some beginner's books.

    Ken

  5. Re: Do older Websphere versions need IHS to run an applications?

    > I'm a newbie with Websphere application server and I was recently assigned
    > to manage an older version of WAS which is 3.0.2.

    Are you sure it's 3.0.2 and not 6.0.2 ??? V3.0 is technology of the past
    century ! :-)

+ Reply to Thread