RAD/WebSphere - Xbootclasspath does not seem to take effect ! - Websphere

This is a discussion on RAD/WebSphere - Xbootclasspath does not seem to take effect ! - Websphere ; Hi Folks! I'm trying to setup -Xbootclasspath/p from WebSphere Admin Console (Servers->Application Server->Server1->JVM Process Definition->generic JVM Argument - sorry, exact location in the Admin console may be different, as I don't have Admin console access as I post this topic). ...

  1. RAD/WebSphere - Xbootclasspath does not seem to take effect !

    Hi Folks!
    I'm trying to setup -Xbootclasspath/p from WebSphere Admin Console (Servers->Application Server->Server1->JVM Process Definition->generic JVM Argument - sorry, exact location in the Admin console may be different, as I don't have Admin console access as I post this topic).

    But it does not seem to take effect. When I restart the Server from RAD, it does not pick the new Boot classpath.

    Is there something I'm missing? I'm a Systems Administrator and does not really have much experience with RAD. I'm thinking the RAD settings are somehow overriding the
    settings from WebSphere Application Server.

    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

    Thank you.

  2. Re: RAD/WebSphere - Xbootclasspath does not seem to take effect !

    Hi, There is a field called "Boot Classpath." Use this field instead of trying to set it yourself.

    Brian

  3. Re: RAD/WebSphere - Xbootclasspath does not seem to take effect !

    Hi Brain!
    Thanks for your input.
    I had already tried that option. It did't pick it up from there as well.

    - Karun

  4. Re: RAD/WebSphere - Xbootclasspath does not seem to take effect !

    Hi, What are you trying to put in the bootclasspath? And how do you know it is not being picked up?

    Brian

  5. Re: RAD/WebSphere - Xbootclasspath does not seem to take effect !

    I'm trying to add "Agent.jar" from Wily Introscope WebSphere Agent software. This is actually a Java performance monitoring software. The main step in the Agent installation process is adding this bootclasspath. So, after this configuration, when the WebSphere Server starts up, it is going to have Agent.jar as the boot classpath and it actually installs probes in every class being loaded by the JVM. When working correctly, I should see a Autoprobe.log in the logs directory with all the classes being loaded by JVM.

    Here is the entire string that I'm adding as boot classpath

    -Xbootclasspath/p:${WAS_INSTALL_ROOT}/wily/connectors/AutoProbeConnector.jar:${WAS_INSTALL_ROOT}/wily/Agent.jar -Dcom.wily.introscope.agentProfile=${WAS_INSTALL_RO OT}/wily/ebs.profile

    The reason I think it's not picking up the -Xbootclasspath is, I'm not seeing the Autoprobeconnector.jar being created. Also, when working correctly, it will output "Connected to Introscope Server " in the Stderr.log.

    I will also be able to tell if it has picked up -Xbootclasspath by looking at the java command line that invokes the Server. Unfortunately, I'm not able to run a "ps -ef" equivallent in Windows. However (from my other post in the same forum), I have a perfect answer - running "process explorer". I'll be doing that today.

    Nevertheless, I don't think -Xbootclasspath is being picked up because I don't see the probes being setup in the Java classes.

    Note that this exact procedure works fine for a WebSphere Server running in Unix (Network deployment). I'm just having trouble configuring WebSphere running as a StandAlone Server with Rational Application Developer. I have posted the same question in RAD forum as well (No reply yet).

    Thanks for your help.
    - Karun

  6. Re: RAD/WebSphere - Xbootclasspath does not seem to take effect !

    I work with Interscope quite a bit. Did you turn on verbose classloading?

    Brian

  7. Re: RAD/WebSphere - Xbootclasspath does not seem to take effect !

    Did you see any errors in the SystemOut.log file.

    For example
    CustomService W WSVR0018W: Unable to create CustomService,
    Introscope Custom Service

    Thanks
    Anant

    On Aug 9, 9:50 am, wrote:
    > I'm trying to add "Agent.jar" from Wily Introscope WebSphere Agent software. This is actually a Java performance monitoring software. The main step in the Agent installation process is adding this bootclasspath. So, after this configuration, when the WebSphere Server starts up, it is going to haveAgent.jar as the boot classpath and it actually installs probes in every class being loaded by the JVM. When working correctly, I should see a Autoprobe.log in the logs directory with all the classes being loaded by JVM.
    >
    > Here is the entire string that I'm adding as boot classpath
    >
    > -Xbootclasspath/p:${WAS_INSTALL_ROOT}/wily/connectors/AutoProbeConnector.ja*r:${WAS_INSTALL_ROOT}/wily/Agent.jar -Dcom.wily.introscope.agentProfile=${WAS_INSTALL_RO OT}/wily/ebs.profile
    >
    > The reason I think it's not picking up the -Xbootclasspath is, I'm not seeing the Autoprobeconnector.jar being created. Also, when working correctly, it will output "Connected to Introscope Server " in the Stderr.log.
    >
    > I will also be able to tell if it has picked up -Xbootclasspath by looking at the java command line that invokes the Server. Unfortunately, I'm not able to run a "ps -ef" equivallent in Windows. However (from my other post in the same forum), I have a perfect answer - running "process explorer". I'll be doing that today.
    >
    > Nevertheless, I don't think -Xbootclasspath is being picked up because I don't see the probes being setup in the Java classes.
    >
    > Note that this exact procedure works fine for a WebSphere Server running in Unix (Network deployment). I'm just having trouble configuring WebSphererunning as a StandAlone Server with Rational Application Developer. I haveposted the same question in RAD forum as well (No reply yet).
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    > - Karun

  8. Re: RAD/WebSphere - Xbootclasspath does not seem to take effect !

    Did you see any errors in the SystemOut.log file.

    For example
    CustomService W WSVR0018W: Unable to create CustomService,
    Introscope Custom Service

    You get this error when the process is unable to find physcial
    location of the jar files

    Thanks
    Anant

  9. Re: RAD/WebSphere - Xbootclasspath does not seem to take effect !

    Hi All,

    I am peroforming the same task of integrating Introscope with websphere.
    I am providing AutoProbeConnector.jar file entry in the Generic JVM arguments and it doesnt start the server.

    SystemOut log and startServer log both are empty.

    Can you please sugest if you already solved the problem ?

+ Reply to Thread