Websphere and RAM usage. - Websphere

This is a discussion on Websphere and RAM usage. - Websphere ; Hi, I'm running: IBM WebSphere Application Server, 6.0.0.1 Build Number: o0445.08 Build Date: 11/10/04 On a dual Xeon 3.2GHz server with 3.5GB RAM and MS Windows 2003 server. My question is- if an instance of WAS is running 2 J2EE ...

  1. Websphere and RAM usage.

    Hi,

    I'm running:

    IBM WebSphere Application Server, 6.0.0.1
    Build Number: o0445.08
    Build Date: 11/10/04

    On a dual Xeon 3.2GHz server with 3.5GB RAM and MS Windows 2003 server. My question is- if an instance of WAS is running 2 J2EE applications with connections to DB2 then what would a reasonable amount of RAM for its java.exe process to be using? At present it is using a maximum of ~450mb which to me seems a fairly large amount given that the applications running on it are only being used in a test environment at present.

    Anyone got any advice/configuration tips that could help this matter? Apologies for this being a 'how long is a piece of string' question but we're a bit stumped here.

    Thanks,

    Mike

  2. Re: Websphere and RAM usage.

    Hi,

    That is an open ended question. It depends on many things, such as number of threads, number of connections, number of transactions, etc.

    You should also upgrade to 6.0.2.x.

    I would say that you need to do performance testing.

    Brian

  3. Re: Websphere and RAM usage.

    michael_palfrey@natbrit.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm running:
    >
    > IBM WebSphere Application Server, 6.0.0.1
    > Build Number: o0445.08
    > Build Date: 11/10/04
    >
    > On a dual Xeon 3.2GHz server with 3.5GB RAM and MS Windows 2003 server. My question is- if an instance of WAS is running 2 J2EE applications with connections to DB2 then what would a reasonable amount of RAM for its java.exe process to be using? At present it is using a maximum of ~450mb which to me seems a fairly large amount given that the applications running on it are only being used in a test environment at present.
    >
    > Anyone got any advice/configuration tips that could help this matter? Apologies for this being a 'how long is a piece of string' question but we're a bit stumped here.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mike

    Mike,
    Standard answer #1: '42'.
    Standard answer #2: get a java profiling tool that will show what's
    using memory. make sure to do this under load. It's possible that the
    process has allocated that much memory but is not using it all.

    Ken

  4. Re: Websphere and RAM usage.

    > Apologies for this being a 'how long is a piece of string' question

    It's a good start that you realize it.

    An absolute figure means nothing without the specific context of the
    application and its needs.

    A well written application can very well run with as few as 64 MB of heap,
    while another (still well written) won't work with less than 1 GB.

    As Ken pointed, you can profile and see what are the largest objects and if
    they are not unduly allocated (static variables, collections, session
    objects, caches, etc).

    As a complementary measure, you can also activate verbosegc and review the
    output with GCCollector, to see over time if it slowly grows or if it's a
    temporary peak (the JVM won't release the native memory even when the heap
    usage is going down -- it's not a bug, it's a feature).

  5. Re: Websphere and RAM usage.

    Shameless plug for ITCAM for Web Resources or ITCAM for WebSphere to
    monitor the applications and WAS.

    --
    Jim Palistrant
    IBM Tivoli WW Technical Evangelist/Enablement - ITCAM

  6. Re: Websphere and RAM usage.

    Hi Mike!
    What are your -Xms and -Xmx settings?. If you have provided 1GB of Memory to start with, there is NO reason for JVM to crank up a FULL Garbage Collection till it really thinks it's necessary (which will happen only when you are in the vicinity of shortage of memory).

    So, if you have a strong feeling that your App should not be consuming this much memory, try giving it 256 MB and see if it runs out of memory.

    However, a through diagnosis can only be made by a profiling tool like jprobe.

    Best Regards,
    - Karun

  7. Re: Websphere and RAM usage.

    450M doesn't seem like much to me. The advisory for WAS on AS/400 is
    768M for a single typical app without EJBs, 1G for a single typical
    app with EJBs. (This covers the RAM needed for the app and the RAM
    needed for WAS itself. WAS requirements on Windows may vary)

+ Reply to Thread