Does websphere application server always need HTTP server? - Websphere

This is a discussion on Does websphere application server always need HTTP server? - Websphere ; Hi everyone, I am doing a performance test with my servlet/jsp web application deployed on websphere6.1. The interim test result is not look well comparing with my application run on SUN web server and today I just noticed the text ...

  1. Does websphere application server always need HTTP server?

    Hi everyone,

    I am doing a performance test with my servlet/jsp web application deployed on
    websphere6.1. The interim test result is not look well comparing with my application run on SUN web server and today I just noticed the text below in
    Chapter 5. Planning the installation in installation guide.

    >>>Scenario 1: Single-machine installation of WebSphere Application Server

    Installing WebSphere Application Server by itself on a single machine creates a
    stand-alone application server, which is automatically named server1 ..... In this scenario, application server uses its internal HTTP transport chain for
    communication, which is suitable for handling an application with a relatively
    low request work load. For example, this type of installation can support a simple test environment or a departmental intranet environment.

    Does it mean that websphere application server should not be received clients
    request directly, there should be HTTP server sit in front of it?

    My application generate a lot of dynamic content and very little of static
    files, is it ok that I just let clients request directly to the application server?.

  2. Re: Does websphere application server always need HTTP server?

    chailuecha@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I am doing a performance test with my servlet/jsp web application
    > deployed on websphere6.1. The interim test result is not look well
    > comparing with my application run on SUN web server and today I just
    > noticed the text below in Chapter 5. Planning the installation in
    > installation guide.

    Did you do any tuning? It's unlikely that out-of-the-box defaults will
    be appropriate to your situation.

    > Installing WebSphere Application Server by itself on a single machine
    > creates a stand-alone application server, which is automatically
    > named server1 ..... In this scenario, application server uses its
    > internal HTTP transport chain for communication, which is suitable
    > for handling an application with a relatively low request work load.
    > For example, this type of installation can support a simple test
    > environment or a departmental intranet environment.
    >
    > Does it mean that websphere application server should not be received
    > clients request directly, there should be HTTP server sit in front of
    > it?
    >
    > My application generate a lot of dynamic content and very little of
    > static files, is it ok that I just let clients request directly to
    > the application server?.

    It's better in most cases to come through a web server.

  3. Re: Does websphere application server always need HTTP server?

    Hi Paul,

    Thanks very much for your reply.

    I have set the parameters below ccording to the websphere tuning guide.

    1. echo 30 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_fin_timeout
    2. ulimit -n 8000
    3. echo 3000 > /proc/sys/net/core/netdev_max_backlog
    4. echo 3000 > /proc/sys/net/core/somaxconn

    There are more network-level tuning parameters but I am not a TCP/IP
    protocol expert so I pick only few parameters above that I am quite sure
    it is suitable for general case.

    JVM tuning:
    -Xmx1024m -Xms1024 -Xgcthread4(my server has 4 processors)
    -Xgcpolicy:gencon -Xmn512m

    Websphere webcontainer thread pool size: max = min = 50.
    Feel free to add additional parameters you think I should try.

    Is it better in term of performance figure?
    I just want to get the best response/sec number from my application.
    If I setup HTTP server to intercept client request then just forward
    the request to application server, is there any overhead that a request
    need to go through 2 process?

  4. Re: Does websphere application server always need HTTP server?

    chailuecha@hotmail.com wrote:

    > Websphere webcontainer thread pool size: max = min = 50.
    > Feel free to add additional parameters you think I should try.

    You need to try different thread pool sizes, connection pool sizes and
    so on at load to find out what works best for your apps. I can't give
    you numbers.

    > Is it better in term of performance figure?
    > I just want to get the best response/sec number from my application.
    > If I setup HTTP server to intercept client request then just forward
    > the request to application server, is there any overhead that a request
    > need to go through 2 process?

    Of course there is. However, even though individual requests have a
    longer path, you might get better throughput.

+ Reply to Thread