connection timeout - Websphere

This is a discussion on connection timeout - Websphere ; Hi all, I use IIS 6.0 and IBM WebSphere Application Server - Express, 5.1.1. When I use security (rolemapping based on the userid in the certificate) the secure HTTPS connection gets closed after about 30min of inactivity. I need to ...

  1. connection timeout

    Hi all,
    I use IIS 6.0 and IBM WebSphere Application Server - Express, 5.1.1.

    When I use security (rolemapping based on the userid in the certificate) the secure HTTPS connection gets closed after about 30min of inactivity.
    I need to display a monitoring application on a large Plasmascreen and loging in every 30min is very ugly.

    I have seen in the session management in WAS ("Enterprise APPs" > "MyApp" > "session management") the option "session time limit". And have changed that to "no time limit" and still have run into that timeout.

    (the terms above are translated from german to english, so it is possible that in WAS slighlty different terms are used.)

    My next quess is tha IIS closes that connection after a 30 min of inactivity.

    1) Has someone ever had a symilar problem? How did you solve it?
    2) Can someone tell me what is the endpoint of that tcp connection (https): IIS or WAS?
    3) Is there documantation i should read?

    cheers,
    stefan

  2. Re: connection timeout

    I'm confused. Surely the data you are monitoring updates more
    frequently than every 30 minutes, so why isn't the refresh keeping the
    connection alive?

  3. Re: connection timeout

    Me again,
    while doing further investigations on that. I have seen that I can set the session timeout at two different places.

    1. Servers > Application Servers > server_name > Web Container > Session Management >>>>> session time limit

    and

    2. Applications > Enterprise Applications > application_name > session management >>>>> session time limit

    At the moment it is unclear to me which configuration is taken into account. Has someone experiance with this settings?

    cheers,
    stefan

  4. Re: connection timeout

    stefan.o.graf@credit-suisse.com wrote:
    > Me again,
    > while doing further investigations on that. I have seen that I can set the session timeout at two different places.
    >
    > 1. Servers > Application Servers > server_name > Web Container > Session Management >>>>> session time limit
    >
    > and
    >
    > 2. Applications > Enterprise Applications > application_name > session management >>>>> session time limit
    >
    > At the moment it is unclear to me which configuration is taken into account. Has someone experiance with this settings?

    If both are set, the application will overidde the general web container
    setting. However, session expiration should not log you out. You just
    need to create a new session.

+ Reply to Thread