Max JVM limt on 64 bit JDK 1.5 running on AIX 5.2 - Websphere

This is a discussion on Max JVM limt on 64 bit JDK 1.5 running on AIX 5.2 - Websphere ; Can anyone shed light as to what the max JVM is allowed by a single application? We have an application that currently uses 1.5 Gig of JVM in a JDK 1.5 environment that is looking to go beyond 3-4 Gig. ...

  1. Max JVM limt on 64 bit JDK 1.5 running on AIX 5.2

    Can anyone shed light as to what the max JVM is allowed by a single application? We have an application that currently uses 1.5 Gig of JVM in a JDK 1.5 environment that is looking to go beyond 3-4 Gig. We believe that we have a scaling problem with the application but need documentation to support this to present to the development team in order to get them to re-architect the app.

  2. Re: Max JVM limt on 64 bit JDK 1.5 running on AIX 5.2

    Hi, AIX does not suffer the same limitation of 2gb that Windows suffers from. The problem has always been memory addressability. AIX can address 1 exabyte (1,152,921,504,606,846,976). Basically, you can address nearly all the memory necessary, but not every single byte. Take a look at this, which was written for Java 1.4.1, but states the differences of 32-bit v. 64-bit on AIX:

    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/ai...JavaPart2.html

    Please take into account garbage collection when moving to higher heap sizes. Sometimes it pays just to have another JVM for scalability purposes.

    Brian

+ Reply to Thread