Nodeagents binds to * although hostnames are given - Websphere

This is a discussion on Nodeagents binds to * although hostnames are given - Websphere ; Hi everybody, I've got the following problem: Although the nodeagents serverindex.xml showes defined hostnames for each port, the nodeagents binds the ports to * at startup. So far this is not a Problem - but as soon as a 2nd ...

  1. Nodeagents binds to * although hostnames are given

    Hi everybody,

    I've got the following problem:
    Although the nodeagents serverindex.xml showes defined hostnames for each port, the nodeagents binds the ports to * at startup.

    So far this is not a Problem - but as soon as a 2nd nodeagent on the same Machine tries to bind to the same ports (but with different hostnames !!) - it fails of course - because they are already in use (by the 1st nodeagent which bound himself to all interfaces).

    How can I force the 1st nodeagent to bind only to the hostnameort instead to *ort ??

  2. Re: Nodeagents binds to * although hostnames are given

    marco_simon@web.de wrote:
    > Hi everybody,
    >
    > I've got the following problem:
    > Although the nodeagents serverindex.xml showes defined hostnames for each port, the nodeagents binds the ports to * at startup.
    >
    > So far this is not a Problem - but as soon as a 2nd nodeagent on the same Machine tries to bind to the same ports (but with different hostnames !!) - it fails of course - because they are already in use (by the 1st nodeagent which bound himself to all interfaces).
    >
    > How can I force the 1st nodeagent to bind only to the hostnameort instead to *ort ??

    If you another node agent on the same machine it should be using
    different ports.

  3. Re: Nodeagents binds to * although hostnames are given

    > I've got the following problem:
    > Although the nodeagents serverindex.xml showes
    > defined hostnames for each port, the nodeagents binds
    > the ports to * at startup.

    [...]
    > How can I force the 1st nodeagent to bind only to the
    > hostnameort instead to *ort ??

    Search on the infocenter on running WebSphere on systems with multiple nics. In order for WebSphere node agents to run on a dedicated IP address (or hostname) you need to add specific JVM properties and some other options.

    See http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...ltiplenic.html for IBM WAS v5.1 (other versions have similar topics).

    Wkr,
    Sven Vermeulen

  4. Re: Nodeagents binds to * although hostnames are given

    Hi Sven,

    this is exactly what I found out in the meanwhile. The nodeagents are now listening on the same port but on different ips/interfaces/hostnames each.

    Unfortunately a similar problem came up with the application-servers. Some of it's ports are bound to the defined hostname - some are bound to * - and they are all configured in the same way. The BOOTSTRAP_ADDRESS port for example is one of those which try to listen on *.

    Any ideas where the problem might be ? The config looks quite good.

  5. Re: Nodeagents binds to * although hostnames are given

    > Unfortunately a similar problem came up with the
    > application-servers. Some of it's ports are bound to
    > the defined hostname - some are bound to * - and they
    > are all configured in the same way. The
    > BOOTSTRAP_ADDRESS port for example is one of those
    > which try to listen on *.
    >
    > Any ideas where the problem might be ? The config
    > looks quite good.

    I'd double-check the configuration then. Ensure that the com.ibm.ws.orb.transport.useMultiHome is set to false in both the ORB properties as well as the JVM properties. Also see if the endpoints (especially the BOOTSTRAP_ADDRESS one) has host=yourHostName instead of host="*".

    Also, if you create new application servers and you want all these settings to be activated automatically, you can edit the files in ${WAS_HOME}/config/templates/servertypes/APPLICATION_SERVER/servers/default (server.xml to be exact).

    Wkr,
    Sven Vermeulen

  6. Re: Nodeagents binds to * although hostnames are given

    Did you find the solution to your configuration issue?

    I am facing the same problem. My configuration matches what is in the infocenter and I am at a loss to what could be wrong.

    Thanks.

    Ethan

  7. Re: Nodeagents binds to * although hostnames are given

    We too had the same issue same lpar but different ips and host name,
    but the product was Process Server. We had to apply a interim fix to
    fix the problem.

    http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview...id=swg1JR25932

    Not sure what version of WAS you are running, but check the IBM
    support site to see if there is any interm fix.

    Thanks
    Anant

+ Reply to Thread