was.policy and permission java.io.FilePermission questions - Websphere

This is a discussion on was.policy and permission java.io.FilePermission questions - Websphere ; hi everyone I am trying to make Business Objects work with websphere. I am pretty new to websphere and it is not my goal to understand the intricacies of websphere. Hence pls bear with my questions... I am working with ...

  1. was.policy and permission java.io.FilePermission questions

    hi everyone

    I am trying to make Business Objects work with websphere. I am pretty new to websphere and it is not my goal to understand the intricacies of websphere. Hence pls bear with my questions...

    I am working with websphere 5.1

    business objects application generates about 4 war files which have to be deployed on websphere. I did that and it worked fine. there is a java executable jar file which needs to be set up as a shared library. After analyzing the errors i put in the following lines in app.policy which worked
    grant codeBase "file:E:/Program Files/Business Objects/BusinessObjects Enterprise 11.5/java/applications/cewcanative.jar" {
    permission java.lang.RuntimePermission "loadLibrary.*";
    permission java.io.FilePermission "<>", "read, write";
    };
    Packaging the war as an ear using ASTK also works if the above is present in was.policy
    Now I have 2 questions

    1. I want to put the above in a was.policy -- is there ever a case where was.policy might not work and we have to have permissions in app.polic. The above does not work if put in was.policy.
    2. I obviously do not like the the <>. If I have to specify a path like C:\ABCD\CODE\LIB instead of <> - how do i do it? I am asking for the syntax pls.

    Thanks for your help

    Asim

  2. Re: was.policy and permission java.io.FilePermission questions

    asimkumar.munshi@gmail.com wrote:

    > 2. I obviously do not like the the <>. If I have to

    specify a path like C:\ABCD\CODE\LIB instead of <> - how do i
    do it?

    I'm not sure why this is 'obvious' ... most people run with Java 2
    security turned off, as it adds very little value provided you trust
    your developers.

+ Reply to Thread