How to change the max URI length on Websphere? - Websphere

This is a discussion on How to change the max URI length on Websphere? - Websphere ; I am getting the following error message on my web application. Does anyone know how to change the maximum URI length? Request-URI Too Large The requested URL's length exceeds the capacity limit for this server. IBM_HTTP_Server/2.0....

  1. How to change the max URI length on Websphere?

    I am getting the following error message on my web application. Does anyone know how to change the maximum URI length?

    Request-URI Too Large
    The requested URL's length exceeds the capacity limit for this server.

    IBM_HTTP_Server/2.0.

  2. Re: How to change the max URI length on Websphere?

    wszeto@workbrain.com wrote:
    > I am getting the following error message on my web application. Does anyone know how to change the maximum URI length?
    >
    > Request-URI Too Large
    > The requested URL's length exceeds the capacity limit for this server.
    >
    > IBM_HTTP_Server/2.0.

    Change your request to a POST instead of a GET. IIRC there's a 1024 byte
    limit in the HTTP RFC for GETs.

    Ken

  3. Re: How to change the max URI length on Websphere?

    I don't think the RFC 2616 specifies a maximum length:
    "
    3.2.1 General Syntax
    (...)
    The HTTP protocol does not place any a priori limit on the length of
    a URI. Servers MUST be able to handle the URI of any resource they
    serve, and SHOULD be able to handle URIs of unbounded length if they
    provide GET-based forms that could generate such URIs. A server
    SHOULD return 414 (Request-URI Too Long) status if a URI is longer
    than the server can handle (see section 10.4.15).
    (...)
    "

    There are however practical limits imposed by HTTP client and server
    implementations.

  4. Re: How to change the max URI length on Websphere?

    I apologize for all the multiple posts. I'm forced to use the Google
    Groups interface to read this group at work.

+ Reply to Thread