Went from WebSphere 5.1.1 to WebSphere 6.0.2 and the WAR is nolonger launching. - Websphere

This is a discussion on Went from WebSphere 5.1.1 to WebSphere 6.0.2 and the WAR is nolonger launching. - Websphere ; Running into problem with a WAR file that works in WAS 5.1.1. However when deploying the same WAR file on a WAS 6.0.2 system the application doesn't function properly. Enabled Global Security on both Followed the installation steps on both ...

  1. Went from WebSphere 5.1.1 to WebSphere 6.0.2 and the WAR is nolonger launching.

    Running into problem with a WAR file that works in WAS 5.1.1. However when deploying the same WAR file on a WAS 6.0.2 system the application doesn't function properly.

    Enabled Global Security on both
    Followed the installation steps on both WAS
    Double checked and cross checked both installation

    On the WAS 6.0.2 the servlet is running into a problem when launching the log4j stuff.

    [5/22/07 8:24:44:326 MST] 0000002c A UOW=null source=com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebApp org=IBM prod=WebSphere component=Application Server thread=[WebContainer : 0]
    SRVE0181I: [Web Mailbox Servlet] [/stagedhttp/config] [Servlet.LOG]: webmailbox: Unexpected exception retrieving logging parameters: java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.lang.RuntimePermission modifyThreadGroup)
    at java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission (AccessControlContext.java(Compiled Code))

    Any thoughts or suggestions is appreciated. Oh and sorry about the prior post, fat finger.

    -Miker

  2. Re: Went from WebSphere 5.1.1 to WebSphere 6.0.2 and the WAR is nolonger launching.

    Your application does not have authority to read the file. Did you turn on J2EE security, as well?

  3. Re: Went from WebSphere 5.1.1 to WebSphere 6.0.2 and the WAR is nolonger launching.

    Enforce Java 2 security Is enabled.

  4. Re: Went from WebSphere 5.1.1 to WebSphere 6.0.2 and the WAR is nolonger launching.

    Make sure that the roles that you have setup allow administration rights for the owner of the application.

  5. Re: Went from WebSphere 5.1.1 to WebSphere 6.0.2 and the WAR is nolonger launching.

    Under - Map security roles to users/groups
    There are four roles defined each has 'All authenticated?' checked/selected. If that's not what you mean, please expand. Much appreciated.

    Something else to add. The servlet is not launching so the prompt for authentication is not displayed.

  6. Re: Went from WebSphere 5.1.1 to WebSphere 6.0.2 and the WAR is nolonger launching.

    mrode@us.axway.com wrote:
    > Running into problem with a WAR file that works in WAS 5.1.1. However when deploying the same WAR file on a WAS 6.0.2 system the application doesn't function properly.
    >
    > Enabled Global Security on both
    > Followed the installation steps on both WAS
    > Double checked and cross checked both installation
    >
    > On the WAS 6.0.2 the servlet is running into a problem when launching the log4j stuff.
    >
    > [5/22/07 8:24:44:326 MST] 0000002c A UOW=null source=com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebApp org=IBM prod=WebSphere component=Application Server thread=[WebContainer : 0]
    > SRVE0181I: [Web Mailbox Servlet] [/stagedhttp/config] [Servlet.LOG]: webmailbox: Unexpected exception retrieving logging parameters: java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.lang.RuntimePermission modifyThreadGroup)
    > at java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission (AccessControlContext.java(Compiled Code))
    >
    > Any thoughts or suggestions is appreciated. Oh and sorry about the prior post, fat finger.
    >
    > -Miker

    You have Java 2 security on. Either turn it off, or set the appropriate
    permission in the policy file.

  7. Re: Went from WebSphere 5.1.1 to WebSphere 6.0.2 and the WAR is nolonger launching.

    Brian S Paskin wrote:
    > Your application does not have authority to read the file. Did you turn on J2EE security, as well?

    This is a Java 2 permissions issue, nothing to do with J2EE security

  8. Re: Went from WebSphere 5.1.1 to WebSphere 6.0.2 and the WAR is nolonger launching.

    After disabling the 'Enforce Java 2 security' and executing a stop/restart of WAS; the original problem reported went away. However prior to changing this setting the servlet was located and having issues with accessing log4j and running into a 500 Internal Server Error. Now the servlet is not located and is now running into a 404 Not found error.

    BTW, Snoop is up and running and executes an authentication request. The snoop display, does report the remote user name and the authorization scheme is BASIC. Snoop worked in either case of 'Enforce Java 2 security' or not.

  9. Re: Went from WebSphere 5.1.1 to WebSphere 6.0.2 and the WAR is nolonger launching.

    mrode@us.axway.com wrote:
    > After disabling the 'Enforce Java 2 security' and executing a
    > stop/restart of WAS; the original problem reported went away.
    > However prior to changing this setting the servlet was located and
    > having issues with accessing log4j and running into a 500 Internal
    > Server Error. Now the servlet is not located and is now running into
    > a 404 Not found error.

    How do you know that your webapp was found previously? You can't tell
    that from the snippet of the log that you posted- all it shows is that
    something in the web container had an error trying to do something that
    lacked the necessary permission. If the servlet was being found, turning
    off Java 2 security would not change that. It sounds like something else
    is misconfigured, either in WAS or in the plugin.

    > BTW, Snoop is up and running and executes an authentication request.
    > The snoop display, does report the remote user name and the
    > authorization scheme is BASIC. Snoop worked in either case of
    > 'Enforce Java 2 security' or not.

    Well, Snoop would not be doing anything that would cause a Java 2
    security problem. It doesn't try to access any resources on the
    underlying system.

  10. Re: Went from WebSphere 5.1.1 to WebSphere 6.0.2 and the WAR is nolonger launching.

    Re-enabled 'Enforce Java 2 security' and stopped/restarted the WAS. Then ran into the 500 Internal Server Error again.

    The servlet is running into a problem because of the log4j not being initialized per the original log snippet. At this point WAS is properly locating and attempting to execute the servlet. This servlet works on 5.1.1. Is there something above and beyond the WAS 5.1.1 installation of a WAR file that is required in WAS 6.0.2?

    [5/23/07 8:11:33:633 MST] 00000027 E UOW=null source=com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebApp org=IBM prod=WebSphere component=Application Server thread=[WebContainer : 0]
    SRVE0026E: [Servlet Error]-[webmailbox]: java.lang.NullPointerException
    at com.mycompany.webmailbox.servlet.ServletLogger.isD ebug(Unknown Source)
    at com.mycompany.webmailbox.servlet.ServletLogger.deb ugLog(Unknown Source)
    at com.mycompany.webmailbox.servlet.WebMailboxServlet .init(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.ServletWrapper.ini t(ServletWrapper.java:310)
    at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.ServletWrapper.han dleRequest(ServletWrapper.java:560)
    at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebApp.handleReques t(WebApp.java:3146)
    at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebGroup.handleRequ est(WebGroup.java:250)
    at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.VirtualHost.handleRequest( VirtualHost.java:212)
    at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.WebContainer.handleRequest (WebContainer.java:1958)
    at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.channel.WCChannelLink.read y(WCChannelLink.java:112)
    at com.ibm.ws.http.channel.inbound.impl.HttpInboundLi nk.handleDiscrimination(HttpInboundLink.java:472)
    at com.ibm.ws.http.channel.inbound.impl.HttpInboundLi nk.handleNewInformation(HttpInboundLink.java:411)
    at com.ibm.ws.http.channel.inbound.impl.HttpInboundLi nk.ready(HttpInboundLink.java:288)
    at com.ibm.ws.tcp.channel.impl.NewConnectionInitialRe adCallback.sendToDiscriminaters(NewConnectionIniti alReadCallback.java:207)
    at com.ibm.ws.tcp.channel.impl.NewConnectionInitialRe adCallback.complete(NewConnectionInitialReadCallba ck.java:109)
    at com.ibm.ws.tcp.channel.impl.WorkQueueManager.reque stComplete(WorkQueueManager.java:566)
    at com.ibm.ws.tcp.channel.impl.WorkQueueManager.attem ptIO(WorkQueueManager.java:619)
    at com.ibm.ws.tcp.channel.impl.WorkQueueManager.worke rRun(WorkQueueManager.java:952)
    at com.ibm.ws.tcp.channel.impl.WorkQueueManager$Worke r.run(WorkQueueManager.java:1039)
    at com.ibm.ws.util.ThreadPool$Worker.run(ThreadPool.j ava:1471)

  11. Re: Went from WebSphere 5.1.1 to WebSphere 6.0.2 and the WAR is nolonger launching.

    mrode@us.axway.com wrote:
    > Re-enabled 'Enforce Java 2 security' and stopped/restarted the WAS. Then ran into the 500 Internal Server Error again.
    >
    > The servlet is running into a problem because of the log4j not being initialized per the original log snippet. At this point WAS is properly locating and attempting to execute the servlet. This servlet works on 5.1.1. Is there something above and beyond the WAS 5.1.1 installation of a WAR file that is required in WAS 6.0.2?
    >
    > [5/23/07 8:11:33:633 MST] 00000027 E UOW=null source=com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebApp org=IBM prod=WebSphere component=Application Server thread=[WebContainer : 0]
    > SRVE0026E: [Servlet Error]-[webmailbox]: java.lang.NullPointerException
    > at com.mycompany.webmailbox.servlet.ServletLogger.isD ebug(Unknown Source)
    > at com.mycompany.webmailbox.servlet.ServletLogger.deb ugLog(Unknown Source)
    > at com.mycompany.webmailbox.servlet.WebMailboxServlet .init(Unknown Source)
    > at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.ServletWrapper.ini t(ServletWrapper.java:310)
    > at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.ServletWrapper.han dleRequest(ServletWrapper.java:560)
    > at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebApp.handleReques t(WebApp.java:3146)
    > at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebGroup.handleRequ est(WebGroup.java:250)
    > at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.VirtualHost.handleRequest( VirtualHost.java:212)
    > at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.WebContainer.handleRequest (WebContainer.java:1958)
    > at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.channel.WCChannelLink.read y(WCChannelLink.java:112)
    > at com.ibm.ws.http.channel.inbound.impl.HttpInboundLi nk.handleDiscrimination(HttpInboundLink.java:472)
    > at com.ibm.ws.http.channel.inbound.impl.HttpInboundLi nk.handleNewInformation(HttpInboundLink.java:411)
    > at com.ibm.ws.http.channel.inbound.impl.HttpInboundLi nk.ready(HttpInboundLink.java:288)
    > at com.ibm.ws.tcp.channel.impl.NewConnectionInitialRe adCallback.sendToDiscriminaters(NewConnectionIniti alReadCallback.java:207)
    > at com.ibm.ws.tcp.channel.impl.NewConnectionInitialRe adCallback.complete(NewConnectionInitialReadCallba ck.java:109)
    > at com.ibm.ws.tcp.channel.impl.WorkQueueManager.reque stComplete(WorkQueueManager.java:566)
    > at com.ibm.ws.tcp.channel.impl.WorkQueueManager.attem ptIO(WorkQueueManager.java:619)
    > at com.ibm.ws.tcp.channel.impl.WorkQueueManager.worke rRun(WorkQueueManager.java:952)
    > at com.ibm.ws.tcp.channel.impl.WorkQueueManager$Worke r.run(WorkQueueManager.java:1039)
    > at com.ibm.ws.util.ThreadPool$Worker.run(ThreadPool.j ava:1471)

    I would suggest that you keep Java 2 security turned off for now, and
    try to figure out why your servlet is not found. It sounds to me like a
    plugin config issue.

  12. Re: Went from WebSphere 5.1.1 to WebSphere 6.0.2 and the WAR is nolonger launching.

    mrode@us.axway.com wrote:
    > Re-enabled 'Enforce Java 2 security' and stopped/restarted the WAS. Then ran into the 500 Internal Server Error again.
    >
    > The servlet is running into a problem because of the log4j not being initialized per the original log snippet. At this point WAS is properly locating and attempting to execute the servlet. This servlet works on 5.1.1. Is there something above and beyond the WAS 5.1.1 installation of a WAR file that is required in WAS 6.0.2?
    >
    > [5/23/07 8:11:33:633 MST] 00000027 E UOW=null source=com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebApp org=IBM prod=WebSphere component=Application Server thread=[WebContainer : 0]
    > SRVE0026E: [Servlet Error]-[webmailbox]: java.lang.NullPointerException
    > at com.mycompany.webmailbox.servlet.ServletLogger.isD ebug(Unknown Source)
    > at com.mycompany.webmailbox.servlet.ServletLogger.deb ugLog(Unknown Source)
    > at com.mycompany.webmailbox.servlet.WebMailboxServlet .init(Unknown Source)
    > at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.ServletWrapper.ini t(ServletWrapper.java:310)
    > at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.ServletWrapper.han dleRequest(ServletWrapper.java:560)
    > at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebApp.handleReques t(WebApp.java:3146)
    > at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebGroup.handleRequ est(WebGroup.java:250)
    > at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.VirtualHost.handleRequest( VirtualHost.java:212)
    > at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.WebContainer.handleRequest (WebContainer.java:1958)
    > at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.channel.WCChannelLink.read y(WCChannelLink.java:112)
    > at com.ibm.ws.http.channel.inbound.impl.HttpInboundLi nk.handleDiscrimination(HttpInboundLink.java:472)
    > at com.ibm.ws.http.channel.inbound.impl.HttpInboundLi nk.handleNewInformation(HttpInboundLink.java:411)
    > at com.ibm.ws.http.channel.inbound.impl.HttpInboundLi nk.ready(HttpInboundLink.java:288)
    > at com.ibm.ws.tcp.channel.impl.NewConnectionInitialRe adCallback.sendToDiscriminaters(NewConnectionIniti alReadCallback.java:207)
    > at com.ibm.ws.tcp.channel.impl.NewConnectionInitialRe adCallback.complete(NewConnectionInitialReadCallba ck.java:109)
    > at com.ibm.ws.tcp.channel.impl.WorkQueueManager.reque stComplete(WorkQueueManager.java:566)
    > at com.ibm.ws.tcp.channel.impl.WorkQueueManager.attem ptIO(WorkQueueManager.java:619)
    > at com.ibm.ws.tcp.channel.impl.WorkQueueManager.worke rRun(WorkQueueManager.java:952)
    > at com.ibm.ws.tcp.channel.impl.WorkQueueManager$Worke r.run(WorkQueueManager.java:1039)
    > at com.ibm.ws.util.ThreadPool$Worker.run(ThreadPool.j ava:1471)

    It appears that com.mycompany.webmailbox.servlet.ServletLogger is null.
    Find out why.

    Ken

  13. Re: Went from WebSphere 5.1.1 to WebSphere 6.0.2 and the WAR is nolonger launching.

    The log4j object within com.mycompany.webmailbox.servlet.ServletLogger.isD ebug is null and generating the NPE.

    Went down the path of leaving 'Enforce Java 2 security' enabled. Proceeded to update the 'app.policy' file with the proper permissions. Now log4j is not reporting problem. However the 404 Not found error has returned.

    App.policy:
    grant codeBase "file:${application}" {
    permission java.lang.RuntimePermission "stopThread";
    permission java.lang.RuntimePermission "modifyThread";
    permission java.lang.RuntimePermission "modifyThreadGroup";
    };

    grant {
    permission java.io.FilePermission "<>", "read, write, delete";
    };

    Granted the last permission is a bit WIDE OPEN. This produced better result now the 404 must be something simple...

    Found some good information on Java 2 security policy files here
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...c_dynamic.html

  14. Re: Went from WebSphere 5.1.1 to WebSphere 6.0.2 and the WAR is nolonger launching.

    Ken Hygh wrote:

    > It appears that com.mycompany.webmailbox.servlet.ServletLogger is null.
    > Find out why.

    It's because log4J is getting Java 2 security exceptions at startup
    time. This is a separate problem to the servlet not found issue.

  15. Re: Went from WebSphere 5.1.1 to WebSphere 6.0.2 and the WAR is nolonger launching.

    Update:

    In both cases where 'Enforce Java 2 security' is enabled or disabled the servlet is returning a 404 Not Found error.

    'Enforce Java 2 security' enabled
    [5/23/07 13:08:18:585 MST] 00000036 E UOW=null source=com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebApp org=IBM prod=WebSphere component=Application Server thread=[server.startup : 1]
    SRVE0255E: Mapping clash while adding target for file serving uri pattern: [/*].
    [5/23/07 13:49:00:382 MST] 0000008a W UOW=null source=com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.srt.SRTServletRespo nse org=IBM prod=WebSphere component=Application Server thread=[WebContainer : 0]
    WARNING: Cannot set header. Response already committed.

    'Enforce Java 2 security' disabled
    [5/23/07 13:50:44:117 MST] 00000039 E UOW=null source=com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebApp org=IBM prod=WebSphere component=Application Server thread=[server.startup : 3]
    SRVE0255E: Mapping clash while adding target for file serving uri pattern: [/*].
    [5/23/07 13:52:58:493 MST] 00000077 W UOW=null source=com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.srt.SRTServletRespo nse org=IBM prod=WebSphere component=Application Server thread=[WebContainer : 1]
    WARNING: Cannot set header. Response already committed.

    Read the http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redpapers/pdfs/redp4045.pdf redbook without much head-way.

  16. Re: Went from WebSphere 5.1.1 to WebSphere 6.0.2 and the WAR is nolonger launching.

    mrode@us.axway.com wrote:
    > Update:
    >
    > In both cases where 'Enforce Java 2 security' is enabled or disabled the servlet is returning a 404 Not Found error.
    >
    > 'Enforce Java 2 security' enabled
    > [5/23/07 13:08:18:585 MST] 00000036 E UOW=null source=com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebApp org=IBM prod=WebSphere component=Application Server thread=[server.startup : 1]
    > SRVE0255E: Mapping clash while adding target for file serving uri pattern: [/*].
    > [5/23/07 13:49:00:382 MST] 0000008a W UOW=null source=com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.srt.SRTServletRespo nse org=IBM prod=WebSphere component=Application Server thread=[WebContainer : 0]
    > WARNING: Cannot set header. Response already committed.
    >

    > 'Enforce Java 2 security' disabled
    > [5/23/07 13:50:44:117 MST] 00000039 E UOW=null source=com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebApp org=IBM prod=WebSphere component=Application Server thread=[server.startup : 3]
    > SRVE0255E: Mapping clash while adding target for file serving uri pattern: [/*].
    > [5/23/07 13:52:58:493 MST] 00000077 W UOW=null source=com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.srt.SRTServletRespo nse org=IBM prod=WebSphere component=Application Server thread=[WebContainer : 1]
    > WARNING: Cannot set header. Response already committed.
    >

    > Read the http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redpapers/pdfs/redp4045.pdf redbook without much head-way.

    Same error both times. You have two servlets mapped to "/*" in your
    web.xml, OR you have file-serving turned on AND a servlet trying to
    serve "/*".

    Ken

  17. Re: Went from WebSphere 5.1.1 to WebSphere 6.0.2 and the WAR is nolonger launching.

    mrode@us.axway.com wrote:
    > Update:
    >
    > In both cases where 'Enforce Java 2 security' is enabled or disabled the servlet is returning a 404 Not Found error.

    That's because you fixed the problem in the policy file, so now you're
    no longer getting java 2 security issues.

    > [5/23/07 13:50:44:117 MST] 00000039 E UOW=null source=com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebApp org=IBM prod=WebSphere component=Application Server thread=[server.startup : 3]
    > SRVE0255E: Mapping clash while adding target for file serving uri pattern: [/*].

    Are you serving content from the EAR? Do you need the file serving
    servlet enabled, and is it set up properly ?

    > [5/23/07 13:52:58:493 MST] 00000077 W UOW=null source=com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.srt.SRTServletRespo nse org=IBM prod=WebSphere component=Application Server thread=[WebContainer : 1]
    > WARNING: Cannot set header. Response already committed.

    This looks familiar, there might be a fix for it. Maybe you need to
    upgrade to latest fixpack.

+ Reply to Thread