plugin - marking clone as down - Websphere

This is a discussion on plugin - marking clone as down - Websphere ; Hi all, I have a problem with the plugin-cfg.xml We have 2 physical servers was 5.1.x these servers are clustered and on each are 4 clones running. if a clone goes down I can see this in the plugin log ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: plugin - marking clone as down

  1. plugin - marking clone as down

    Hi all,

    I have a problem with the plugin-cfg.xml
    We have 2 physical servers was 5.1.x these servers are clustered and on each
    are 4 clones running.

    if a clone goes down I can see this in the plugin log at the webserver
    machine, a message like this is logged

    [Tue May 22 10:09:57 2007] 00007a65 b7bca6b0 - ERROR: ws_common:
    websphereExecute: Failed to read from a new stream; App Server may have
    gone down during read
    [Tue May 22 10:09:57 2007] 00007a65 b7bca6b0 - ERROR: ws_server:
    serverSetFailoverStatus: Marking ws12_WebSphere_Portal-ws12-4 down
    [Tue May 22 10:09:57 2007] 00007a65 b7bca6b0 - ERROR: ws_common:
    websphereHandleRequest: Failed to execute the transaction
    to 'ws12_WebSphere_Portal-ws12-4'on host 'ws12.vitanet.de'; will try
    another one

    thats ok so far, but after a few seconds a new request is routed to this
    clone.

    As far as I understand, the plugin should wait at least the time specified
    in RetryInterval="300" thats in my case 5 minutes.

    Does anybody know or has an idea why the webserver is trying to route a
    request to the clone?

    TIA
    Christian

  2. Re: plugin - marking clone as down

    christian zimmermann wrote:
    > Hi all,


    > Does anybody know or has an idea why the webserver is trying to route a
    > request to the clone?


    What webserver are you using? if it's an Apache derivative that us
    running multiple processes, each webserver process needs to discover
    that the server is down.

  3. Re: plugin - marking clone as down

    Paul Ilechko wrote:


    > What webserver are you using? if it's an Apache derivative that us
    > running multiple processes, each webserver process needs to discover
    > that the server is down.


    We are using the original apache from apache.org version 2.0.58
    with prefork mpm.

    Should the worker mpm solve the problem ?

    TIA
    christian

  4. Re: plugin - marking clone as down

    christian zimmermann wrote:
    > Paul Ilechko wrote:
    >
    >
    >> What webserver are you using? if it's an Apache derivative that us
    >> running multiple processes, each webserver process needs to discover
    >> that the server is down.

    >
    > We are using the original apache from apache.org version 2.0.58
    > with prefork mpm.
    >
    > Should the worker mpm solve the problem ?


    It's not really a problem, it's just the nature of the beast. You need
    to use a fully threaded model if you want a single discovery to be
    sufficient.

  5. Re: plugin - marking clone as down


    "Paul Ilechko" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:f31j95$3bc76$1@news.boulder.ibm.com...
    > christian zimmermann wrote:
    >> Paul Ilechko wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>> What webserver are you using? if it's an Apache derivative that us
    >>> running multiple processes, each webserver process needs to discover
    >>> that the server is down.

    >>
    >> We are using the original apache from apache.org version 2.0.58
    >> with prefork mpm.
    >>
    >> Should the worker mpm solve the problem ?

    >
    > It's not really a problem, it's just the nature of the beast. You need to
    > use a fully threaded model if you want a single discovery to be
    > sufficient.


    Its that the way it should work ? there are a lot of requests that not get
    served.
    I thought the goal of the plugin is to provide a failover if a clone is not
    available and blocks further requests to this clone,
    for a specific time.
    Is there another way to achive this goal?
    Is the IBM HttpServer a better choice for this job ?

    Thanks for your time
    Christian



  6. Re: plugin - marking clone as down

    christian zimmermann wrote:
    > "Paul Ilechko" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > news:f31j95$3bc76$1@news.boulder.ibm.com...
    >> christian zimmermann wrote:
    >>> Paul Ilechko wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> What webserver are you using? if it's an Apache derivative that us
    >>>> running multiple processes, each webserver process needs to discover
    >>>> that the server is down.
    >>> We are using the original apache from apache.org version 2.0.58
    >>> with prefork mpm.
    >>>
    >>> Should the worker mpm solve the problem ?

    >> It's not really a problem, it's just the nature of the beast. You need to
    >> use a fully threaded model if you want a single discovery to be
    >> sufficient.

    >
    > Its that the way it should work ? there are a lot of requests that not get
    > served.
    > I thought the goal of the plugin is to provide a failover if a clone is not
    > available and blocks further requests to this clone,
    > for a specific time.
    > Is there another way to achive this goal?
    > Is the IBM HttpServer a better choice for this job ?


    The point is that every HTTP process has to discover that the server is
    down. If your webserver is a single process running lots of threads,
    this only happens once. If your webserver spawns lots of processes, then
    each process will discover it individually. IBM HTTP Server is a variant
    of Apache. It's really a matter of how you configure it. You want to use
    a threaded model with few processes.

+ Reply to Thread