Cust. request for the deployment of 3 new WAS based applications on VMware > Is it suggested and recommended? - Websphere

This is a discussion on Cust. request for the deployment of 3 new WAS based applications on VMware > Is it suggested and recommended? - Websphere ; Hello Websphere forum readers Your advise on subjected issue will be much appreciated, since this opportunity might lead to further service delivery.. ---> Preface (Summary): We have a local Bank customer who plans to deploy three (3) new WAS based ...

  1. Cust. request for the deployment of 3 new WAS based applications on VMware > Is it suggested and recommended?

    Hello Websphere forum readers
    Your advise on subjected issue will be much appreciated, since this
    opportunity might lead to further service delivery..

    ---> Preface (Summary):

    We have a local Bank customer who plans to deploy three (3) new WAS based
    applications focused on Document Management, meaning:

    1) Document Scanning and Archiving

    2) Document Retrieval (search)

    3) Document Projection

    Regarding Installation Topology, the single - tier WAS scenario (on
    dedicated machine) has been nominated to be applied

    on Production, Test and Disaster sites.

    Scope of Request:

    --> Now cust. asks for advise or recommendation regarding the deployment of
    new WAS instances -which will host the 3 new applications-

    on VMWare environment.

    There is a statement regarding IBM services support for software running on
    VMWare images (URL >
    http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview...2571f60074d175 )
    , which emphasizes that

    "..As under other operating environments, IBM does not warrant that all code
    defects will be corrected. IBM will issue defect correction information, a
    restriction, or a bypass to IBM products if the defect is also applicable in
    a native physical machine environment (i.e. without the virtualization
    software). That determination may require that the problem be recreated in a
    native environment by the client. If the problem does not occur or cannot be
    recreated in a native environment, it will not be considered an IBM product
    defect..."

    Therefore, I am wondering if VMWare is a suggested implementation approach,
    especially for Production environment, in terms of support or perfornance
    (if there is such benchmarking (available)

    Many thanks in advance for your time and support.

    Regards, Nick.

  2. Re: Cust. request for the deployment of 3 new WAS based applications on VMware > Is it suggested and recommended?

    Given the buzz around VMware, the announcements of partnership between IBM
    and VMware, the joint performance papers published, etc WebSphere on VMware
    must be production-proof.

    The statement you quote is somehow amended in an announcement on VMware site
    (probably to find on IBM site as well -- I did not bother check):
    "If an IBM Software problem occurs only within a VMware ESX environment, it
    will be directed to VMware for resolution.
    (...)
    Individual IBM Software groups may announce a level of customer support
    beyond that described above. IBM Software and VMware are working together to
    provide deeper levels of joint support in the future."
    http://www.vmware.com/partners/allia...ology/ibm.html

    BTW, see "WebSphere/ESX Server Performance and Scalability Evaluation" on
    the same page for a paper on performance.

    HTH.

  3. Re: Cust. request for the deployment of 3 new WAS based applications on VMware > Is it suggested and recommended?

    Thanks for your input.

    "Ben_" wrote in message
    > Given the buzz around VMware, the announcements of partnership between IBM
    > and VMware, the joint performance papers published, etc WebSphere on
    > VMware must be production-proof.
    >
    > The statement you quote is somehow amended in an announcement on VMware
    > site (probably to find on IBM site as well -- I did not bother check):
    > "If an IBM Software problem occurs only within a VMware ESX environment,
    > it will be directed to VMware for resolution.
    > (...)
    > Individual IBM Software groups may announce a level of customer support
    > beyond that described above. IBM Software and VMware are working together
    > to provide deeper levels of joint support in the future."
    > http://www.vmware.com/partners/allia...ology/ibm.html
    >
    > BTW, see "WebSphere/ESX Server Performance and Scalability Evaluation" on
    > the same page for a paper on performance.
    >
    > HTH.

  4. Re: Cust. request for the deployment of 3 new WAS based applications on VMware > Is it suggested and recommended?

    On Apr 25, 6:55 am, "Nick Dakoronias" wrote:
    > Hello Websphere forum readers
    > Your advise on subjected issue will be much appreciated, since this
    > opportunity might lead to further service delivery..
    >
    > ---> Preface (Summary):
    >
    > We have a local Bank customer who plans to deploy three (3) new WAS based
    > applications focused on Document Management, meaning:
    >
    > 1) Document Scanning and Archiving
    >
    > 2) Document Retrieval (search)
    >
    > 3) Document Projection
    >
    > Regarding Installation Topology, the single - tier WAS scenario (on
    > dedicated machine) has been nominated to be applied
    >
    > on Production, Test and Disaster sites.
    >
    > Scope of Request:
    >
    > --> Now cust. asks for advise or recommendation regarding the deployment of
    > new WAS instances -which will host the 3 new applications-
    >
    > on VMWare environment.
    >
    > There is a statement regarding IBM services support for software running on
    > VMWare images (URL >http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview...e0912f7b152852...)
    > , which emphasizes that
    >
    > "..As under other operating environments, IBM does not warrant that all code
    > defects will be corrected. IBM will issue defect correction information, a
    > restriction, or a bypass to IBM products if the defect is also applicable in
    > a native physical machine environment (i.e. without the virtualization
    > software). That determination may require that the problem be recreated in a
    > native environment by the client. If the problem does not occur or cannot be
    > recreated in a native environment, it will not be considered an IBM product
    > defect..."
    >
    > Therefore, I am wondering if VMWare is a suggested implementation approach,
    > especially for Production environment, in terms of support or perfornance
    > (if there is such benchmarking (available)
    >
    > Many thanks in advance for your time and support.
    >
    > Regards, Nick.

    I wouldn't and haven't seen Websphere Appserver deployed in VMWare for
    Production, nor have I seen performance numbers for it.
    Now if you were using Websphere ND, I wouldn't see a problem putting
    the DeploymentManager on a VM and or the IHS servers...

  5. Re: Cust. request for the deployment of 3 new WAS based applications on VMware > Is it suggested and recommended?

    On Apr 26, 5:47 pm, DMX wrote:
    > I wouldn't and haven't seen Websphere Appserver deployed in VMWare for
    > Production, nor have I seen performance numbers for it.

    Running WAS in VMWare isn't a problem, even in production. We do that
    here (okay, not extremely high SLAs) without much ado.

    Wkr,
    Sven Vermeulen

+ Reply to Thread