v6.1 of WebSphere and out-of-the-box (OOTB) settings - Websphere

This is a discussion on v6.1 of WebSphere and out-of-the-box (OOTB) settings - Websphere ; Hi, I am having difficulty in understanding the SSL setup for WebSphere AppServer v6.1 Network Deployment. In some documentation it indicates that when you install the product unique SSL certs are generated for the Cell so that the environment is ...

  1. v6.1 of WebSphere and out-of-the-box (OOTB) settings

    Hi,

    I am having difficulty in understanding the SSL setup for WebSphere
    AppServer v6.1 Network Deployment. In some documentation it indicates
    that when you install the product unique SSL certs are generated for
    the Cell so that the environment is secure immediately. In the
    training material however it indicates that the SSL certificates are
    all default and therefore need to be changed, before moving into
    Production use, to secure the environment correctly (as per v5
    etc...). So can anyone tell me which it is?

    Thanks,

    Eddie

  2. Re: v6.1 of WebSphere and out-of-the-box (OOTB) settings

    On Apr 22, 3:45 pm, "Eddietu...@googlemail.com"
    wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am having difficulty in understanding the SSL setup for WebSphere
    > AppServer v6.1 Network Deployment. In some documentation it indicates
    > that when you install the product unique SSL certs are generated for
    > the Cell so that the environment is secure immediately. In the
    > training material however it indicates that the SSL certificates are
    > all default and therefore need to be changed, before moving into
    > Production use, to secure the environment correctly (as per v5
    > etc...). So can anyone tell me which it is?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Eddie

    Both are correct.
    After enabling Global Security, traffic to console and apps can be
    done via ssl
    BUT, the default ssl certs are self-signed certs and should be changed
    (a lot of companies don't though)
    but you don't have to if you add the self-signed cert to you trusted
    CA store, not advisable in a production environment

+ Reply to Thread