deployment.xml - filename too long - Websphere

This is a discussion on deployment.xml - filename too long - Websphere ; Hi All, I'm using RAD and WebSphere Application Server v6.0 (6.0.2.17) installed in my local environment. I'am developing a web application and I would like to run it in my local environment. When I publish my application, I get the ...

  1. deployment.xml - filename too long

    Hi All,

    I'm using RAD and WebSphere Application Server v6.0 (6.0.2.17) installed in my local environment.

    I'am developing a web application and I would like to run it in my local environment. When I publish my
    application, I get the exception below.

    Without publishing, when I modify the code I have to export the EAR and deploy it using the administrative console.
    These deployment operations strongly increase the testing time.

    So, has anyone an idea about what happened here?
    had anyone else to face this problem?
    If someone solved this kind of problem then please let me know what is the solution?

    Is it possible to configure out the wstemp path?

    Sorry for my bad english.

    Thanks a lot in advance!
    Stefano

    [18/04/07 16.23.10:269 CEST] 00000031 SystemErr R Wrapped exception
    [18/04/07 16.23.10:301 CEST] 00000031 SystemErr R
    java.io.IOException: The system cannot find the specified file, either the filename is too long on Windows system or run
    out of file descriptor on UNIX platform. java.io.FileNotFoundException: D:\IBM\RAD\runtimes\base_v6\profiles\default\wstem p\11205134a81\workspace\cells \BRUSCHIERI-XPNode01Cell\applications\Anagrafiche.ear\deployme nts\Anagrafiche\de ployment.xml (Impossibile trovare il file specificato)
    at com.ibm.wsspi.configarchive.DefaultFileAccessor.lo ad(DefaultFileAccessor.java:1 00)
    at com.ibm.ws.sm.workspace.impl.FileAccessorUtil.getI nputStream(FileAccessorUtil.j ava:213)
    at com.ibm.ws.sm.workspace.migration.WSURIConverter.c reateInputStream(WSURIConvert er.java:74)
    at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.resource.impl.ResourceImpl.l oad(ResourceImpl.java:738)
    at com.ibm.wtp.emf.resource.CompatibilityXMIResourceI mpl.load(CompatibilityXMIReso urceImpl.java:76)
    at com.ibm.websphere.resource.WASResourceImpl.load(WA SResourceImpl.java:60)
    at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.resource.impl.ResourceSetImp l.demandLoad(ResourceSetImpl. java(Inlined Compiled Code))
    at com.ibm.websphere.resource.WASResourceSetImpl.getE xistingResource(WASResourceSe tImpl.java(Compiled Code))
    at com.ibm.websphere.resource.WASResourceSetImpl.crea teResource(WASResourceSetImpl .java:73)
    at com.ibm.ws.management.application.task.ConfigRepoH elper.getAppDeploymentResourc e(ConfigRepoHelper.java:255)
    at com.ibm.ws.management.application.task.ConfigRepoH elper.getAppDeploymentForApp( ConfigRepoHelper.java:264)
    at com.ibm.ws.management.application.task.DeleteSIEnt ryTask.performTask(DeleteSIEn tryTask.java:83)
    at com.ibm.ws.management.application.SchedulerImpl.ru n(SchedulerImpl.java:253)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:568)

  2. Re: deployment.xml - filename too long

    Windows has a filename limit, which you have run into during deployment. You need to either:

    a) use linux! OR
    b) Install RAD in the root directory with a short path (e.g.) c:\rad6
    c) Look at the path and minimise the size of any artefacts within it, i.e. the EAR file name, your machine name or perhaps the profile name

    Yes, all very messy, and should not be necessary in the year 2007, but thats windows for you!

  3. Re: deployment.xml - filename too long

    "Jonathan" wrote in message
    news:2064847951.1177002901740.JavaMail.wassrvr@lts gwas009.sby.ibm.com...
    > Windows has a filename limit, which you have run into during deployment.
    > You need to either:
    >
    > a) use linux! OR
    > b) Install RAD in the root directory with a short path (e.g.) c:\rad6
    > c) Look at the path and minimise the size of any artefacts within it, i.e.
    > the EAR file name, your machine name or perhaps the profile name
    >
    > Yes, all very messy, and should not be necessary in the year 2007, but
    > thats windows for you!

    It is true that there is a path limit in Windows of about 255
    characters/bytes, however in this case the path shown in the trace is only
    about 175 characters. There does appear to be a space though in \de
    ployment.xml. Perhaps just a typo somewhere. Maybe a DBCS/Unicode thing?

    D:\IBM\RAD\runtimes\base_v6\profiles\default\wstem p\11205134a81\workspace\cells
    \BRUSCHIERI-XPNode01Cell\applications\Anagrafiche.ear\deployme nts\Anagrafiche\de
    ployment.xml

  4. Re: deployment.xml - filename too long

    Jonathan, thanks for your opinion.

    Unfortunately I can't choose the operative system, rad installation path and my machine name.
    My developing environment follows some bounded enterprise standards.

    Moreover, it is strange that other longer name applications are correctly published.

    Since the machine name are built using the second name of the user, the solution is to delegate the application development to one of my shorter second name collegue...

    In the meantime, is it possbile (and simple) to change the cell name?

    Thanks a lot in advance!
    Stefano

  5. Re: deployment.xml - filename too long

    Having the same problem here. Server version: WAS 6.0.2.13.

    [4/20/07 12:18:08:828 EDT] 00000033 SystemErr R
    java.io.IOException: The system cannot find the specified file, either
    the filename is too long on Windows system or run out of file
    descriptor on UNIX platform. java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\t
    \1120fc94796\workspace\cells\CPQ-1028FNode01Cell\applications
    \****_****_EAR.ear\deployments\****_****_EAR\deplo yment.xml (The
    handle is invalid.

    My filename is only 127 characters. This problem began after I deleted
    my server (to try to work out some datasource issues) and reinstalled
    a new server.

    Any help much appreciated!

    -Chris

  6. Re: deployment.xml - filename too long

    Or you can just change the wstemp location.

    Have a look at:
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...pacefiles.html

    Remember to restart the app server after setting the -Dworkspace.user.root
    property on the jvm.

    HTH.

    wrote in message
    news:1290195997.1177062203145.JavaMail.wassrvr@lts gwas009.sby.ibm.com...
    > Jonathan, thanks for your opinion.
    >
    > Unfortunately I can't choose the operative system, rad installation path
    > and my machine name.
    > My developing environment follows some bounded enterprise standards.
    >
    > Moreover, it is strange that other longer name applications are correctly
    > published.
    >
    > Since the machine name are built using the second name of the user, the
    > solution is to delegate the application development to one of my shorter
    > second name collegue...
    >
    > In the meantime, is it possbile (and simple) to change the cell name?
    >
    > Thanks a lot in advance!
    > Stefano

  7. Re: deployment.xml - filename too long

    I finally gave up and deleted my server and uninstalled RAD. After
    reinstalling everything - all is good so far. I suspect at the moment
    that a server install I performed caused the problem. Upgraded to
    6.0.2.13. The version was not a problem...just my install of it. If
    the problem occurs again I'll update this thread. Thanks.
    -Chris

+ Reply to Thread