Three tier application in websphere - Websphere

This is a discussion on Three tier application in websphere - Websphere ; Hi, We have a three-tier application which is to be used for ordering stuff, we are using websphere for hosting the application and DB2 as the database. The application is terribly slow. What could be the reasons for this, and ...

  1. Three tier application in websphere

    Hi,

    We have a three-tier application which is to be used for ordering
    stuff, we are using websphere for hosting the application and DB2 as
    the database. The application is terribly slow. What could be the
    reasons for this, and what steps should we take to make the app
    faster ?

    Thanks,

  2. Re: Three tier application in websphere

    On Mar 31, 3:46 pm, "nishant" wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > We have a three-tier application which is to be used for ordering
    > stuff, we are using websphere for hosting the application and DB2 as
    > the database. The application is terribly slow. What could be the
    > reasons for this, and what steps should we take to make the app
    > faster ?
    >
    > Thanks,

    Hi Nishant,

    There's no single reason or set of reasons. But the most likely
    reason is that the application itself is the bottleneck.

    1) Make sure you don't have single thread selected for any servlets.
    And in general try to identify which methods in the program take a
    long time to respond. Eclipse and RADv6 have some excellent profiling
    tools.
    2) Ensure that after you use a pooled connection to the datasource
    that you return the connection object to the connection pool. Also,
    ensure that database code sets the connection object to null in the
    "finally" clause of the database exception handling.
    3) Try turning on the WebSphere performance analysis tools. For
    example, Tivoli Performance viewer comes built in to was 6 and 6.1 and
    can be configured and accessed through the adminconsole. On was 5 you
    can run a gui version.
    4) Look for fairly basic bottlenecks. If the application is still in
    development and performance is poor, the performance issue is
    certainly not subtle or arcane.
    5) If you are interested in a "deep dive" into WebSphere performance
    IBM hosts an excellent paper by Harvey Gunther that examines common
    coding patterns that result in poor performance and then provides
    alternatives that perform much bettter. The paper includes charts and
    graphs and clearly shows the difference "before and after."

    6) Check the size and composition of the server process jvm heap using
    the heapanalyzer tool. Do you have many objects that aren't being
    garbage collected? A large heap size will incur a longer gc than a
    smaller heapsize that does gc more frequently.

    Lots of good books on the subject as well. Hope this post gives you
    some ideas of where to start.

    Best Regards,

    Brian

    http://www.bronzedrum.com

  3. Re: Three tier application in websphere

    On Mar 31, 2:46 pm, "nishant" wrote:
    > We have a three-tier application which is to be used for ordering
    > stuff, we are using websphere for hosting the application and DB2 as
    > the database. The application is terribly slow. What could be the
    > reasons for this, and what steps should we take to make the app
    > faster ?

    Knowing nothing else I'd say fix your design and or fix your database
    code. How much experience do you have designing and building Java web
    applications?

+ Reply to Thread